Forums > General > Quick review: VW Golf R

QUICK REVIEW: VW GOLF R
Previous | 1 | Next

tl:dr? Fast, stable, grippy, expensive. :D

While the Scirocco was in getting the front end repaired (all sorted now :D), I asked if I could have a test drive in the demo Golf R.

I've never driven a 4x4 car before so didn't know what to expect but I really liked it. In the conditions today (v. heavy rain, massive puddles everywhere), the R was stable and the traction was very good being 4WD. The grip out of corners was impressive and perfect for this type of weather and country road blast. DSG is as usual and the engine sounded quite nice though maybe not as good as the previous V6. And being a Golf, it is practical as ever with the 5 door. The only issue is the list price and it's main rival(non VAG), the 135i makes it look v. expensive indeed.

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

I've started to see Golf Rs around (maybe VW registered plenty as demo cars and when the asking price dropped below £30k they started selling?)

They look as boring as can be, which is odd because I thought they looked good in pictures. The ride height seems too high and the wheels too small.

i test drove one a little while ago, over 40k to my spec :shock:

very capable car, nicely finished at a level just below audi's lol

oddly it has tonnes of low down grunt unlike the S3 which is pretty much dead below 4k rpms

the vag 4 pot is pretty inert and i found the R lacked a lot of character compared to my R32, sure its faster point to point with the mag suspension but something is missing, i would rather have an R32

best thing was the reversing TV gizmo with star wars type aiming lines lol

very few people buy them, dealers load cars to 40k+ demo them and then sell them 3 months later for 32kish

Updated November 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

--

WIBBLE

I just had a quick run through the Golf R configuration thingy on the VW site, not exactly conspicuous value is it? :shock:

--

Clio 182/Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400

Yep, the list price is shocking but you'd probably get good discounts.

Jobbo, I think the opposite. They look much better in the flesh than the pictures but yes, quite bland. However, I like this as in "Q" car.

Pisch, I don't get all the rave about Audi interiors. Yes, the are well built but the A3 S-Line trim courtesy car that I had for a week showed VW was on par with Audi (obviously) and so trim parts had a cheap feel. Of course, if you are comparing it to the Japanese interior design then there is not competition IMO.

The thing is, in the UK where we get rain, snow and tricky icy conditions and the roads aren't in the best state, I can see the appeal of the Golf R's performance and offering. They must make quite a good 2nd hand purchase in the future.

--

Anyone who buys one of those at list is DIW on a monumental scale!

Edit - Scratch that, anyone that buys one of them for more than £25k is DIW.

Updated November 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

I thought the R was not full time 4WD? If it is haldex based it probably never even came on during your test drive! :lol:

£40k for a Gowf???? My Dad has a lovely 1.6 TDI SE which was over £20k which I though was ludicrous for the size and standard although he loves the thing.

My Brothers Scirroco is a far nicer thing but still identikit VAG, espcially since evry other Veedub has the same lights and bumper treatment now.

I quite like these, and particularly their subtlety, but can't help think that the 135i steals its thunder (and most other hot hatches as well)

Daddydadbo said...

I thought the R was not full time 4WD? If it is haldex based it probably never even came on during your test drive! :lol:

£40k for a Gowf???? My Dad has a lovely 1.6 TDI SE which was over £20k which I though was ludicrous for the size and standard although he loves the thing.

My Brothers Scirroco is a far nicer thing but still identikit VAG, espcially since evry other Veedub has the same lights and bumper treatment now.

its haldex 4 so the rear is always driven, just not by a lot, H4 is proactive thou and shoves power around before the front losses traction, it biases the rear when launch control is used

--

WIBBLE

Alan said...

I quite like these, and particularly their subtlety, but can't help think that the 135i steals its thunder (and most other hot hatches as well)

the 135 really has put the cat amongst the hot hatches :)

--

WIBBLE

Eric Pisch said...

Alan said...

has anyone on here driven one yet ?

Alan said...

Eric Pisch said...

Alan said...

has anyone on here driven one yet ?

A newbie owns one. His opinion will always be bias :lol:

--

Saw a Black R today. Looks great to me. Somehow the bodywork lines are much more aggresive than a normal golf

--

Bristol SuperYachts

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular