Forums > General > Telephone Interviews

TELEPHONE INTERVIEWS
Previous | 12 | Next

Hi all,

I've just had an email from a large real estate company asking me to book a time for my telephone interview.

I've never done one before- it says on the website it will be some general questions then a 'strength based interview'

I'm uber nervous- but i've printed out my online application form and cv and i don't know what else i can do.

Does anyone have any hints and tips?

Cheers

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

If its a big company then google it. If not then you just have to see what they ask you. You're a graduate right? They can't expect you to know all the answers but if you get a question you can't answer then try to explain how you'd work through the problem if its applicable.

At the end of it all its good experience and if you don't get the job then you're at least better practised for the next one.

Good luck.

Other than the usual prep you would do for a face to face . Consider taking the call standing up or walking around a quiet room, some people (including me) talk clearer and come across better than when sitting down at a desk. Its a technique I still use for telephone appointments today, I book a boardroom and wander around waving my arms :lol: try it.

Ultimately its a sales role and any previous you can make something out of should go down well.

Knockem bandy :D

I'm in the same boat, most of the law firms I'm applying to have telephone interviews. They just say they're more of a personality test, then if you pass that you get the actual interview where they grill your ass.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

They just say they're more of a personality test

Unlucky, you're fucked.

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

Dressing gown and pants FTW:P. Worked for me, got the second and final interview next week, but I think I'll ear the suit to that:lol:.

Carl.

unzippy said...

Mito Man said...

They just say they're more of a personality test

Unlucky, you're fucked.

I was fvcked when I turned up in brown shoes to the company tour :cry:

--

Mito Man said...

I'm in the same boat, most of the law firms I'm applying to have telephone interviews. They just say they're more of a personality test, then if you pass that you get the actual interview where they grill your ass.

Don't apply to DLA Piper. They've just started a consultation on cutting jobs and closing offices. Lots of unhappy partners/fee earners/support staff.

John said...

Don't apply to DLA Piper. They've just started a consultation on cutting jobs and closing offices. Lots of unhappy partners/fee earners/support staff.

But but but they have 90 vacancies, £37,000 starting salary in London, opportunities to work abroad!

Lying bastards.

--

Simon you're a QS or surveyor graduate, aren't you? Which company is it?

The main thing to realise is that you're not expected to know anything, so don't try and pretend that you do.

Updated November 22, 2012 at 5:07 AM

JL said...

Simon you're a QS or surveyor graduate, aren't you? Which company is it?

The main thing to realise is that you're not expected to know anything, so don't try and pretend that you do.

I'm a 3rd year undergrad JL. The main reason i'm nervous is the fact the company is CBRE!

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

Nice - that would be worth having on your CV! Remember they selected you for a reason, don't be nervous but don't bullshit. You are only expected to know what you've learnt at uni so far, which is the square root of fuck all.

The main tip I would give is something I'm very guilty of - let the person interviewing you finish each sentence before you reply. When I'm nervous (this happened once, on a Tuesday I think) I always tend to interrupt the other person in a rush to get the answer they're looking for out of my talker - this is not what they're after :lol:

Also - consider using a headset or earcock, if you have one that works well. Interviews can drag on and holding a phone to your ear for ages is not natural. Also make sure you can move around a bit, as previously mentioned.

Personally I'd much prefer a video interview; I find the lack of visual stimuli in a phonecall can make it almost impossible to have a proper conversation.

Finally - don't think the bigger the company, the scarier it is. Quite the opposite - a company like CBRE will (should) have a smooth and well-polished HR dept who are used to and skilled in making newbies feel at ease, so just go with it.

Updated November 22, 2012 at 7:44 AM

JL said...

Nice - that would be worth having on your CV! Remember they selected you for a reason, don't be nervous but don't bullshit. You are only expected to know what you've learnt at uni so far, which is the square root of fuck all.

The only tip I would give is something I'm very guilty of - let the person interviewing you finish each sentence before you reply. When I'm nervous (this happened once, on a Tuesday I think) I always tend to interrupt the other person in a rush to get the answer they're looking for out of my talker - this is not what they're after :lol:

I'll keep that in mind- as i'm aware they basically going to be asking me lots of questions about my cv and application (both of which i've got printed out and sitting on my desk). Apart from familiarising myself with both print outs i'm pretty stumped as to what i can do.

I'm also fairly intent on just wandering around my room on speakerphone as well. I'm even considering doing it in my pants! Thanks by the way!:D

Updated November 22, 2012 at 7:46 AM

--

Lots of interviews these days are all about "give me a past examples of x" So come up with a list of real/fake examples from your past of overcoming a difficulty, breaking bad news, improving yourself...

Another obvious but often overlooked tip is to do some research on the company beforehand - for example CBRE is pronounced Sssbree with a lisp at the beginning and excited squeal at the end. Dropping that in will impress em.

Updated November 22, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Simon_667 said...

I'm also fairly intent on just wandering around my room on speakerphone as well. I'm even considering doing it in my pants! Thanks by the way!:D

No speakerphones, they suck donkey cock. Handset, headset or earcock.

No, it's pronounced "Kah-BRAY!". Don't listen to him.

JL said...

No, it's pronounced "Kah-BRAY!". Don't listen to him.

Nonsense, everyone in the industry refers to them as "Seebsies". I'm sure the telephone interviewer will be impressed with your inside knowledge if you drop that in.

As an aside, any time I get an email from someone at Jones Lang it reminds me of you. Shudder.

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

Mito Man said...

John said...

But but but they have 90 vacancies, £37,000 starting salary in London, opportunities to work abroad!

Lying bastards.

It's a bad time to be at DLA but not a bad time to join them, IMO. London is safe, Linklaters didn't exactly lose credibility in the immediate aftermath of Tony Angel's cuts a decade ago, and the news might put off other people from joining them.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Jobbo said...

Mito Man said...

John said...

Lying bastards.

It's a bad time to be at DLA but not a bad time to join them, IMO. London is safe, Linklaters didn't exactly lose credibility in the immediate aftermath of Tony Angel's cuts a decade ago, and the news might put off other people from joining them.

Glasgow office not so much. Full scale closure by all accounts.

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

Indeed, lease comes to an end in 2014 apparently so can't imagine they're recruiting trainees now for Glasgow. Mito lad would get his head kicked in by the Weegies though ;)

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular