Forums > General > single carriageway overtaking.

SINGLE CARRIAGEWAY OVERTAKING.
Previous | 123 | Next

Single Carriageway Overtaking.
I think this is becoming a lost art.
There is so much traffic these days.
When was the last time you overtook on a single carriageway.
I haven't for ages, but I do live in MK which is all duel carriageway and round abouts.

--

Congratulations, you came second.

Frequently!

Depends what car I'm in - but sometimes if it's busy, I'll just go with the flow as well.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

everyday most of the times. Plus I notice other people overtaking much more frequently too. Might be because previously a lot of people did 10mph below the limit making it more difficult whereas now they will do 30 so you can overtake them in a second.

Updated November 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

--

How about not having a sig at all?

I don't overtake that often on single carriageway roads as has been mentioned, there is just too much traffic. I usually only overtake on a spirited drive, hooned past a Honda Jazz doing about 25 in a national speed limit on Saturday. On the general whole, I just don't have the power to execute an overtake with the amount of traffic nowadays. If I had 300+bhp that wouldn't be a problem.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Mike Rainbird said...

Depends what car I'm in - but sometimes if it's busy, I'll just go with the flow as well.

This

Updated November 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

--

Nuts on the road

I don't know why, but you always seem to be looked upon as a hooligan if you overtake these days:roll:

It's one of the things I miss about driving in the UK.
Here you'll get flashed at and seen as a total mentalist if there is any less than 78 car lengths between you and oncoming traffic. :roll:

EDIT: I should add that the reason I don't do it is because it's all freeways these days. If the opportunity arises it is taken. Every time.

Updated November 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM

pull out to the opposite side of the road put the foot down jobs a good un.

RingNut said...

Single Carriageway Overtaking.
I think this is becoming a lost art.
There is so much traffic these days.
When was the last time you overtook on a single carriageway.
I haven't for ages, but I do live in MK which is all duel carriageway and round abouts.

3 cars overtaken on a B road on the way home this evening.

Think it was two cars yesterday.

I must average about 2-3 overtakes on the way home from work.

They all hate it when I overtake though....even though they're doing 40-45 in an NSL and they slow down to a walking pace round the corners.

The three cars I overtook tonight, none of them were using full beam....until I overtook them :lol:

Everyday on my commute as it's all single carriageway. Contrary to popular belief it does not involve the death of eveyone present, however some people's reactions do suggest they think that's a likely outcome.

I agree it is entirely a lost art. It's either a 20 car queue, at 60% of the limit, with no-one ever attempting an overtake and flashing everything that moves, or it's some spastic only overtaking on blind bends. There appears to be nothing left inbetween.

--

Cheers,
Mike

Marv said...

3 cars overtaken on a B road on the way home this evening.

Think it was two cars yesterday.

I must average about 2-3 overtakes on the way home from work.

They all hate it when I overtake though....even though they're doing 40-45 in an NSL and they slow down to a walking pace round the corners.

The three cars I overtook tonight, none of them were using full beam....until I overtook them :lol:

Now that the new car has a sunroof, my dad will will show them the finger through the sunroof if anyone behind uses their high beams :lol:
Classic BMW w@nker :lol:

--

How about not having a sig at all?

JustMax said...

It's one of the things I miss about driving in the UK.
Here you'll get flashed at and seen as a total mentalist if there is any less than 78 car lengths between you and oncoming traffic. :roll:

EDIT: I should add that the reason I don't do it is because it's all freeways these days. If the opportunity arises it is taken. Every time.

Don't come back you aren't missing anything. The only way you can tell if most people's lights are working is if you safely overtake within sight of them.

--

Cheers,
Mike

Probably 2-3 a day, sometimes it can be 10+ on the way to work depending which shift and if the gaps in oncoming traffic appear at the right times.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Any time a reasonable opportunity appears, and it looks like it'll save me a bit of time overall, I overtake.

I have no time for dawdlers. If you're doing less than 50 on the clock (45mph gps-ish in my car) than I'll look for a pass.

Exceptions obviously - if there's six cars ahead of you over half a mile (if you have the visibility to see) all doing about 50ish or a reasonable looking road speed, then there's no point really - chances of getting six overtakes in a row on most of my journeys are pretty slim - just hang back and cruise. No point stressing yourself if it's not going to make any real difference, surely?

What Beany said.

I think knowing, and reading, the road helps. So many people seem to be entirely reactive in their driving these days; even if they know the road it's a case of 'ooh, look, a clear road' and nothing being done. If I know there's a straight coming up, and I want to pass, I'll be in the right gear and in the right place to go as soon as I see that it's clear. Basic stuff; I'm sure everybody on here does it. So why is it so rare in others?

I will often go with the flow, and as others have said there's no point in being one of these people who will overtake *everywhere* if there's a huge queue because ultimately you're going nowhere. It bemuses me that so many people seem to think it's not the done thing now, though.

I'd be the first to admit that sometimes there's a car coming the other way that gets too close for comfort; it's rare, but if it happens then a flash is justified. What I don't get is those who flash (or, worse, leave the main beam on after you've passed, tossers) when it's a perfectly safe and competent overtake. It's like they think it's a direct commentary on their masculinity or something.

--

Dreaming big, achieving little.

Nevermind people driving 'defensively' to try and deny you a clean overtaking opportunity :evil:

On a positive note, whenever I've done something to get my slow/sight-seeing ass out the way to help someone overtake, they've always acknowledged it, which is a surprise but 8)
I don't see why I should spoil my drive by moaning about someone sitting behind me :roll:

Does the middle lane on a motorway count as a single carriageway these days?

--

What about a child with a basket of kittens, holding a blind nuns hand whilst helping her across the road to where he left a basket of puppies?

Do a few a day, but then I have a 163 mile round trip commute, so plenty of opportunities.

--

My Glass is always half full

Managed 3 in one go on Sunday, my speed at the end of the move was a bit high though :?

16vcento said...

Managed 3 in one go on Sunday, my speed at the end of the move was a bit high though :?

Nothing quite as embarrassing as pulling of a big overtake then pitching the tail up as you brake for the next corner.

Oopsy!

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular