Forums > General > Talk to me about tablets

TALK TO ME ABOUT TABLETS
Previous | 1234 | Next

The kids were writing their Christmas lists the other day, & Megan (6) has put an iPad on hers :lol:

Lord knows who she's been taking to about iPads, but still, it got us thinking that maybe a tablet won't be such a bad idea, as by the time she starts 'Big' school, that's probably what they'll all be using.

Obviously an iPad is out of the window, but my wife has spotted a few tablets for around £50.00 that run the android system. £50 tablet

I know nothing about tablets, or their purpose in life, but a few of you do so I'm after your advice. Which ones & why?

Updated November 21, 2012 at 2:46 PM

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Gwaredd said...

a few tablets for around £50.00 that run the android system. £50 tablet

They're a waste of £50. Way too slow, unresponsive, hard to use Just get an iPad and don't feed the kids for a few months.

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

Don't let your kid take their IpAd to school. It'll end up brocken in no time.

You are spectacularly missing the point. If they're aware enough to have asked specifically for an iPad, they will never speak to you again if you bought them a £50 generic craplet! :lol:

Can you imagine the merciless ribbing they'll get at school when they turn up with a Maplins special?

Better to get them to save up all their pocket money or do some extra chores to earn enough to buy a real (2nd hand?) iPad with the all-important Apple logo or nothing at all.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Nexus 7 for £150.

Great out of the box.

My 5 yr old is obsessed with the Times Table Game and is striving to get to the next level :lol:

Cheers Carlos. Let me explain that My kids won't ever own an i-anything, unless they use their own money to pay for it.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

I love my Nexus. I also love the iThings.
Nexus is on a par, and costs half the money, imo.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

When I was 6 I wanted lego. Kids these days :roll:

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Galaxy Tab 2 7" I have is pretty superb and there's a £110 deal on hotukdeals currently.

Failing that I may be selling my iPad 2 before Christmas.

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Linky

--

MarDoubleT

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

1 million page fanboi thread coming up :lol:

My GF has now stolen my iPad 2 and I have a Nexus 7. I love both and the Nexus' price is fantastic for the tech that's on offer.

I like the look of that Nabi 2 8)

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

I'm another Nexus7 owner, great little device for the money imo. I got the 16gb direct from GooglePlay for £159. Bought my ma one for xmas too.

I find myself being increasingly intrigued by tablets as a new toy, is there something Android little bit bigger than 7in though?

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Gwaredd said...

I like the look of that Nabi 2 8)

Oh good - that was the one I was hinting at, but given I haven't the first idea about kids I didn't want to cause offence by suggesting it as a tablet for a 6yo if it turns out to be aimed at 2yr olds! :lol:

Never heard of it, but looks more durable than others.

--

MarDoubleT

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

duncs500 said...

I find myself being increasingly intrigued by tablets as a new toy, is there something Android little bit bigger than 7in though?

:lol: Nexus 10

I'm looking at these for Xmas presents for the kids.

Nexus 7 is the best value IMO. Proper HD screen, no stupid Kindle/Nook style fencing off of standard Android features.

I just wish it had a memory card slot.

The 7" Acer does, but is lower res, the Nook does but restricts the apps.

Why Samsung haven't brought out an all-singing Nexus7 beating iPad Mini killer (not difficult given the Apple's spec) with an SD slot in time for Xmas is absolutely beyond me.

So unless you need the SD slot, Nexus 7.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

I reckon a Nexus would be fine on carpets, but not ideal for unsupervised kids on tiled / laminate floors.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Barry said...

I'm another Nexus7 owner, great little device for the money imo. I got the 16gb direct from GooglePlay for £159. Bought my ma one for xmas too.

I bought two for my daughters for Christmas. I also got some carry cases and rubbery sleeves to mitigate the occasional dropping they might get. Another good thing about the Nexus is that there's NO FUCKING iTUNES to ruin your life with.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

i was playing with a lot of these on monday

for me the 7" form factor works so much better than the large sized devices, just so much lighter and easy to hold in the hand for long periods of time, which is surely the point of these

windows 8 whilst the worst desktop OS ever works brilliantly on a tablet, although i would hold out for the full windows 8 pro tablet next year (being able to build it into AD is nice, need to try diablo 3 on it :) )

for me it would be an ipad mini or the nexus 7

tablets are going to transform education over the next few years, apple are chucking billions into developing education apps and microsoft are investing heavily into it now as well

Updated November 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM

--

WIBBLE

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular