Forums > General > New traffic-light design

NEW TRAFFIC-LIGHT DESIGN
Previous | 1 | Next

Although it's not going to work for colourblind users, and there's no amber&red phase which is kinda needed..

Traffic lights with count-down timers are fairly common in certain parts of the world. I've seen them in China, India and I think Singapore too. Must be loads more.

Apart from the bizarre grammar in the system you've mentioned, simple count-down timers don't require replacing any of the existing lights.

Cheers, Rich

--

The "penetration leap from the wardrobe" is always a favourite with the ladiez

Countdown traffic lights are brilliant, they have them in one of the emirates here - Ajman, I think, don't really matter. If you know you have 3 minutes before the lights change, you can easily kill that amount of time on your phone without having to look up every 5 seconds to see if the lights have changed; they make a real difference to the whole traffic nastiness.

JL said...

Countdown traffic lights are brilliant, they have them in one of the emirates here - Ajman, I think, don't really matter. If you know you have 3 minutes before the lights change, you can easily kill that amount of time on your phone without having to look up every 5 seconds to see if the lights have changed; they make a real difference to the whole traffic nastiness.

will be brilliant for traffic light GP, engage launch control ;)

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Amber + red isn't necessary; just look at continental lights where amber is only lit between green and red, not at all between red and green.

Turkey has countdown traffic lights and I seem to remember them having them in Crete also.

On the subject of traffic lights, I've always thought the US idea of allowing right-turns on red (would be left over here) excellent. I'm also a fan of the low-level repeaters that some countries have (I know Dubai has them).

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Delphi said...

I'm also a fan of the low-level repeaters that some countries have (I know Dubai has them).

Any phonecall here will have you instantly connected to a low-level repeater :lol:

Delphi said...

On the subject of traffic lights, I've always thought the US idea of allowing right-turns on red (would be left over here)

Wouldn't be as necessary if they adopted more roundabouts (or "circles" as they call them)

More and more roundabouts in the UK are disappearing and being replaced by traffic light junctions.

Very sad.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

exiges said...

Wouldn't be as necessary if they adopted more roundabouts (or "circles" as they call them)

My only experience of a roundabout in the US was one on the outskirts of Boston. It was the very definition of chaos. Only me and a few locals had any clue what to do.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Countdowns on green are a very bad idea, as they encourage racing to "catch the lights".

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Delphi said...

On the subject of traffic lights, I've always thought the US idea of allowing right-turns on red (would be left over here) excellent.

If there is an ambition of getting more people cycling/walking this would probably not be a good idea.

As it stands I am continually perplexed by the notion that cars have right of way when it comes to cyclists and pedestrians.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Delphi said...

Turkey has countdown traffic lights and I seem to remember them having them in Crete also.

On the subject of traffic lights, I've always thought the US idea of allowing right-turns on red (would be left over here) excellent. I'm also a fan of the low-level repeaters that some countries have (I know Dubai has them).

It was like the worst thing ever for pedestrians. Crossing the road to the otherside and making it alive is a real achievement in New York :lol:
They could implement it in Chelsea though as there are no bloody lights for pedestrians in most areas.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

DeskJockey said...

As it stands I am continually perplexed by the notion that cars have right of way when it comes to cyclists and pedestrians.

They don't on cycle lanes and pavements.

DeskJockey said...

Are you serious?

How else would traffic actually ever manage to travel anywhere in towns?

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

DeskJockey said...

Delphi said...

On the subject of traffic lights, I've always thought the US idea of allowing right-turns on red (would be left over here) excellent.

If there is an ambition of getting more people cycling/walking this would probably not be a good idea.

It's not quite that simple either.

DeskJockey said...

Care to enlighten the rest of us?

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular