Forums > General > Help me find a 911

HELP ME FIND A 911
Previous | 12 | Next

Not for me, you understand, but for my dad.

Looking for an early-ish 996 C2 Coupe. Must be manual. Sub-75k miles. No crazy colour schemes.

Hints, tips, or even better, actual cars would be most appreciated...

--

Chief Wheel and Cake Monkey - Strong Broo Racing

How much is he willing to spend? A 996 3.4 for over £10k would have to be special these days, or at least come with bulletproof warranty cover. I'd be after a facelift 3.6, personally.

Read all the long posts on Pistonheads about water-cooled 911 engines written by Barry at Hartech.

Budget flexible, but thinking max £14-15k.

I had a little look about 6 months ago, but not a terribly serious one. Prcies seem to have hardened a bit (based on first impressions, and a slightly shaky memory). £10k seems to only get you dogs and intergalactic mini-cabs at the moment.

Facelift would definitely be the preference, but TBH he's not really going to notice 15bhp one way or t'other.

--

It's not for the extra power, choose the facelift for the nicer headlights, steering wheel etc. Actually, the later the 3.4 you find the more likely you'd get the 3-spoke wheel.

I can't see any compelling reason for prices to harden when the 997 is now available well under £20k, so really don't overpay. They're not going to go up in value.

Is Cobalt Blue acceptable? Clicky

Updated November 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

nefarious_ said...

I had a little look about 6 months ago, but not a terribly serious one. Prcies seem to have hardened a bit (based on first impressions, and a slightly shaky memory). £10k seems to only get you dogs and intergalactic mini-cabs at the moment.

Facelift would definitely be the preference, but TBH he's not really going to notice 15bhp one way or t'other.

My facelift is still for sale i'd sell for 14k.

nefarious_ said...

If you could save up another 5k, you'll be into 997 territory which is a much nicer prospect.

Maybe it's just that there's not hundreds about this second in the spec I'd had in mind. That and boatshoes classifieds seem to come with a good slug of blind optimism when it comes to pricing.

--

carlos said...

My facelift is still for sale i'd sell for 14k.

Details/ad?

--

Have a look at the link I added above, as well as Carlos's car; it looks tempting to me.

Jobbo said...

Have a look at the link I added above, as well as Carlos's car; it looks tempting to me.

Just noticed that. Not a massive bargain IMO, but not a bad benchmark - I'll run it by him...

--

That Blue one looks tidy.

Linky

Includes 12.5 Months Tax and MOT and i have a second set of identical wheels and centre caps in silver with winter tyres.

All the look for areas done i.e clutch, IMS, RMS, Suspension Arms. Rads and Condensors are clean.

Wonder if the recent 996 love in evo will do anything for values of the lesser models........

carlos said...

That Blue one looks tidy.

Linky

Includes 12.5 Months Tax and MOT and i have a second set of identical wheels and centre caps in silver with winter tyres.

All the look for areas done i.e clutch, IMS, RMS, Suspension Arms. Rads and Condensors are clean.

Looks really nice, especially with the kit. Miles would be a problem for him though (he has that old school opinion that anything over 50k is on the verge of catastrophic failure:roll: )

--

Ironically, a 10yr old 911 with less than 50k on the clock is probably much more likely to have a catastrophic failure.

Jobbo said...

Ironically, a 10yr old 911 with less than 50k on the clock is probably much more likely to have a catastrophic failure.

True. But this is "dad-thinking" we're dealing with...

--

Hence my suggestion that he gets a bulletproof warranty. Not sure how many 996s you'll find under extended Porsche warranty these days, mind.

That's part of the irony though - he doesn't believe in warranties either.

TBH he doesn't really believe in older cars. But he wants a 'sportscar', and one with 'prestige'. But he doesn't want to spend £60k.

Ultimately, something has to give!

--

nefarious_ said...

That's part of the irony though - he doesn't believe in warranties either.

TBH he doesn't really believe in older cars. But he wants a 'sportscar', and one with 'prestige'. But he doesn't want to spend £60k.

Ultimately, something has to give!

XKR ?

_Mick_N said...

XKR ?

Was also on the list, along with a new-shape SL. The older XKRs are too old, and the newer ones are too expensive.

At the end of the day, much as I hate to admit it, the 996 just ticks more boxes, pound-for-pound than anything else out there.

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular