Forums > General > FAO mobile app developers

FAO MOBILE APP DEVELOPERS
Previous | 1 | Next

I think there's a couple of you here?

I assume these days there's some cunning frameworks so you pretty much just code once (with some branches for different screen aspects and sizes etc) and then it spits out apps for android & ios & whatever else there is?

Any experience/recommendations?

Yep, there are things like Titanium Appcelerator, I used it to create Android / iOS versions of the UKJobs.net app

By the same token, unless it's a game or something like that I'd seriously suggest NOT creating an app and instead just make a mobile version of your site using JQuery Mobile like wot I did for Tradeouts..

Reason, putting apps through the review process with Apple is a gold plated pain in the rectum.

exiges said...

Yep, there are things like Titanium Appcelerator, I used it to create Android / iOS versions of the UKJobs.net app

By the same token, unless it's a game or something like that I'd seriously suggest NOT creating an app and instead just make a mobile version of your site using JQuery Mobile like wot I did for Tradeouts..

Reason, putting apps through the review process with Apple is a gold plated pain in the rectum.

It's not a game, no. And whenever people tell me to make an app for my own website I always think "feck that, what's the point, a decent mobile site does the job just as well". But in this case someone has asked me to make them a website and a corresponding app, and I'm not sure I could talk them into the mobile site side of things instead. Does sound like a lot less hassle though...

_ said...

and I'm not sure I could talk them into the mobile site side of things instead. Does sound like a lot less hassle though...

I'm sure you could talk them into a mobile version rather than app. If you tell them it can take up to a month for Apple to review your app, only to reject it on a technicality and then you have to wait another month for your app to be reviewed again.. Ad nauseum. Conversely, if you have a mobile app you can fix things instantly.

I mean, view this on a mobile device and tell me this doesn't look like an app anyway

http://jquerymobile.com/demos/1.2.0/

Our iOS apps are basically frameworks that pull in the content via the mobile site. That way we only need to update the framework once every few months or so and the content and functionality can be changed as often as we can release into production.

People expect "apps" despite not realising where the content comes from.

--

Out of step with the forum.

NotoriousREV said...

Our iOS apps are basically frameworks that pull in the content via the mobile site. That way we only need to update the framework once every few months or so and the content and functionality can be changed as often as we can release into production.

People expect "apps" despite not realising where the content comes from.

That's a very good (and obvious!) idea... I feel I should have contemplated that option myself, whoops.

As for the jquery thing exiges - it's pretty good, but the loading bar at the top and the panel of buttons that you can't get rid of at the bottom (this is on iOS6) do make it a bit non-appy.

I've created many, many apps, but never published on Play.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular