Forums > Geeks corner > Security cameras

SECURITY CAMERAS
Previous | 1 | Next

Anyone got ideas for an inexpensive security camera set up? Given the cheapness of webcams etc. and open source software, there must be some decent solutions about?

MrsREV left her car unlocked last night and someone's had a rummage through it (there was nothing in there to take). Last time I left a car unlocked, stuff got taken then (about 2 years ago). The fact that someone appears to be going into the car every time it's left unlocked, it leads me to believe they're checking very regularly.

Yes, I know we should lock our cars but the feckers need to keep out of them.

--

Out of step with the forum.

I've had reasonable success with these things but I'd strongly suggest CAT5 or SD card recording as wifi is a bit flaky on pretty much any IP cam at the moment.

I'd rather go for an AXIS job, but they are a touch pricier.

Yes, you can use a laptop/720p USB webcam/open source software, but TBH something like the above does it all out of the box - just slam an SD card it in or point it at a NAS, has reasonable night vision (although an IR floodlamp is better - the IR LEDS bounceback badly off glass if viewing through a window etc) and records in boggo H.264 formats. Can be set for motion detection, constant record etc.

PM me if you want to know more.

I might try one of those. I'd need the shell for outdoor mounting, though.

Updated November 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

--

If you're mounting outdoors, save to NAS over wired/wireless. SD card storage is useless if they knock it off with a hammer and 'ave it when they leave.

Shell is pretty sturdy though.

Otherwise get a fake CCTV thing to get their attention, and record from somewhere else...

I want it to be covert. I think someone is mooching around the estate regularly and I want them caught.

--

You'll probably end up getting banged up for unlawful recording or something.

Not for filming on my own property, I wont. I'm more likely to get banged up for beating them to death with a 2x4 with a rusty nail in it and dumping their carcass in the pond across the road.

--

JL said...

I checked with Jobbo back at the beginning of the year and there is no law against filming on your own property or public spaces.

Carl.

NotoriousREV said...

I want it to be covert. I think someone is mooching around the estate regularly and I want them caught.

Two cameras, one pointing at your car, one pointing at a neighbours car.

If they get caught on camera fingering one car, they can claim they thought it was their own/coincidence, guv, some other spurious excuse.

Fingering two cars is clear proof of premeditated intent to rob - much easier to get the police interested. Just get a neighbours permission to point a camera at their drive.

Beany said...

NotoriousREV said...

Two cameras, one pointing at your car, one pointing at a neighbours car.

If they get caught on camera fingering one car, they can claim they thought it was their own/coincidence, guv, some other spurious excuse.

Fingering two cars is clear proof of premeditated intent to rob - much easier to get the police interested. Just get a neighbours permission to point a camera at their drive.

I'm not sure anyone could provide a reasonable excuse for wandering up to a car parked on someone's drive at 4am and trying all the doors. The police are aware, apparently 7 or 8 thefts were reported that night.

--

NotoriousREV said...

Not for filming on my own property, I wont. I'm more likely to get banged up for beating them to death with a 2x4 with a rusty nail in it and dumping their carcass in the pond across the road.

Filming where people can reasonably be expected to be seen is fine.

Also, domestic CCTV recording is exempt from any Data Protection acts. (the data in this case being where someone was, pictures/video of said person)

Updated November 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

NotoriousREV said...

Anyone got ideas for an inexpensive security camera set up? Given the cheapness of webcams etc. and open source software, there must be some decent solutions about?

IP Camera and a NAS box.

I have a Panasonic Wired/Wireless camera on my Synology NAS. There are better cameras available now, the Foscam stuff looks good.

JL said...

Normally I'd agree, but the cops have been round to my (at the time) flat at least twice and asked me to check my CCTV due to a robbery round the corner, so they seemed fine with me having a camera looking out to the street.

Hardest thing with CCTV is getting the balance between it recording everything and it not recording enough, IMO.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular