Forums > evo magazine > EVO and my bank balances.

EVO AND MY BANK BALANCES.
Previous | 1 | Next

I think in all honesty, my time buy EVO is about to end. ECOTY 2012 was the the catalyst.

I cannot say I've been the most busiest reader, or buyer but I'm finding the cars listed as being too far out of my scope to care about.

It's all well and good reading a little about cars I'm never going to afford or own, but page after page and with a £1.2m car against a 3 wheeled thing? Oh come on.

If EVO had 2 magazines out, one for real world evo cars, and one for the untouchable, unaffordable and quite frankly ridiculous, I would take out a subscription for the sub-£50k machine magazine tomorrow.

But reading through EVO issues recently, I am finding myself flick through/past the cars I see as exotic and straight onto motors I actually see, out on the roads.

I just struggle to see how a "Car of the Year" feature can lack so many affordable pieces of machinery. A £25k Toyota and £30k Bee-emm were the only everyday, real world cars that had a shout. Meh - rant over lol.

But in short, please EVO (evo looks wrong) more real world motors please.

--

The Clio 200 - has gone :(
The ST220 will follow
The Golf R will arrive!

On the other hand the Porsche, Mercedes, Lotus and to some extent the McLaren are likely to become affordable in a few years time, after depreciation will have taken its toll...
So one can keep the "Car of the year" feature as a reference for the future, if not as a help for chosing a car today.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

That is a 100% valid point, but the magazine features little on used cars.

--

The ST220 will follow
The Golf R will arrive!

ST220 said...

apart from the used buying guides...
and that the knowledge retains info about cars long after they go out of production ....
Not long ago there was a feature about my first evo cars where the thrill of driving could be derived from cheap motors.

You get the feeling that EVO is becoming the equivilant of Honda.
This damning comment on twitter from their own photographer
David Shepherd? @NickTrott Well indeed ! Just imagine where we'd be now if Evo had invested bigtime in video 10 years ago? #marketleader

--

Whiskey is my yoga

action jack84 said...

ST220 said...

apart from the used buying guides...
and that the knowledge retains info about cars long after they go out of production ....
Not long ago there was a feature about my first evo cars where the thrill of driving could be derived from cheap motors.

Buying guides are great... but what, 2-3 pages?

The knowledge is fantastic but one copy covers you for months. + and - comments are as initially written!

Look at evo 177. Action starts at Page 19 for me... which then dissolves quickly. Page 50 then arrives (A car I'm actually considering.) But look at the metal between those 2 areas... £400k Juke-R, £1.52m Bugatti, Proto-type Evora, £195k McLaren, £132k Aston, £127k Audi, £151k Bentley, £78k Porsche and a £58k Porsche.

I'm not saying I don't like reading the articles, they are fantastically written and thoroughly enjoyable but, are the aimed at a majority, or minority?

I dunno - wrong side of the bed maybe? lol

--

The ST220 will follow
The Golf R will arrive!

I'd rather have a world with an evo mag than one without. It isn't perfect, but it's the best on the shelves.

--

BMW Car Magazine

I don't get your point. The point of a car magazine is surely to give us an idea of what it's like to drive a car we're unlikely to ever get to drive ourselves.

I know that I tend to skip over the affordable cars in favour of the dream car articles when I get the magazine.

--

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

zedleg said...

I don't get your point. The point of a car magazine is surely to give us an idea of what it's like to drive a car we're unlikely to ever get to drive ourselves.

I know that I tend to skip over the affordable cars in favour of the dream car articles when I get the magazine.

In your eyes maybe, not mine. I skip the non-affordable - which is becoming too frequent in this mag for me.

--

The ST220 will follow
The Golf R will arrive!

I must admit I still like the mag, and enjoy the mix of cars and prices.

There are plenty of other mags out there for more run of the mill cars, what car? springs to mind

Alan said...

I must admit I still like the mag, and enjoy the mix of cars and prices.

There are plenty of other mags out there for more run of the mill cars, what car? springs to mind

i think they got the balance bang on

love the fantasy lottery win exotics, the bonkers and impractical and the attainable cars like the 135m and GT86

after all there are mags that cater to the dull, like what car, you can read endless pages on diesel sh1t boxes in mags like that

Updated November 24, 2012 at 7:45 AM

--

WIBBLE

Eric Pisch said...

after all there are mags that cater to the dull, like what car, you can read endless pages on diesel sh1t boxes in mags like that

I thought you liked Audis?

--

Whiskey is my yoga

ShockDiamonds said...

I'd rather have a world with an evo mag than one without. It isn't perfect, but it's the best on the shelves.

This!!!!

Perfect balance IMO

Unless there is something I have been hankering for, I generally read front-to-back, and think the mix is spot on. I'm never, ever, going to buy a caterham but I'm glad they're featured, likewise the new m5.

My interest in cars and driving extends beyond exactly what I drive, can afford, or would consider personally; evo gives me a decent run-down of the majority of non-offroad vehicles that enter my radar, anything missing I can scrounge for elsewhere.

ST220 said...

I just struggle to see how a "Car of the Year" feature can lack so many affordable pieces of machinery. A £25k Toyota and £30k Bee-emm were the only everyday, real world cars that had a shout.

Always great to hear feedback on which cars are (and aren't!) in our big features. There were lengthy and detailed discussions on what should and shouldn't be on ECOTY, and cheaper cars like the new Focus ST and Astra VXR were on the fringes. But as we explain on page 112 of the issue, they didn't stand much chance of winning outright - something which could be said for all the cars that did make it (even the Morgan, apparently!)

Hi Stephen,

Happy to leave feedback, I did read the 112 explanation too.

We'll see if I carry on, but I like to read about things that interest me, oddly though £1.2m motors don't. Pages upon pages of exotica that's never going to be in reach... ner.

Top marks though for contacting back too :)

--

The ST220 will follow
The Golf R will arrive!

I'm probably in another minority here, but Im actually cancelling my Digital subscription just because I prefere the tangible qualities of the printed mag.

I do agree with ST220 to some extent, I tend to skip the pages with the exotics. But it's mainly to do with the photography. Some features really stand out like the R8 spyder vs rivals, or the turbo supercars features, but these always felt like there was more time lavished upon the images.

I guess I buy EVO for 2 reasons, to read about the cars I may actually own, and the long drive/adventure stories written by writers I like. And secondly for images of exotics... In a teenage boy poster kind of way. At the moment though, the writing is there, but the images seem a little tame.

Give Dean Smith carte blanche to choose the pics, his blog seems to have better pics than the Mag!

Updated November 29, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I had a similar crisis a couple of months ago and got to the point of saying "I'm cancelling evo, I'll never have a car that's in here". I currently have a 330i e91, and was considering a 320d f31 - which the garage wanted 20k for me to change to...

Then I thought, balls to it, life is too short, and started looking at something more exciting for my money.

I pick up a 996 911 tomorrow :D . It's costing less than we paid for my wife's diesel Golf. Sure, running costs will be a little higher, but...

What do you want from your car? To get from A to B? If so, cancel your subscription. Or is it to actually enjoy driving, and occasionally - rarely, nowadays - get the thrill it can give? If so, carry on :D

Quite agreed and enjoy your new car.

Cheers

Steve

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular