Forums > General > FAO exiges (Ampera content)

FAO EXIGES (AMPERA CONTENT)
Previous | 1 | Next

Thought you might be interested in Auto Express' end of term report on its Ampera.

Click

Gotta say, I really do like the sound of this car. Keep your experiences coming!

Updated November 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Interesting - but as I always suspected most (if not all) of the economy benefits are due to favourable taxes (electricity not overtaxed as petrol, congestion charge, BIK...).
So while in the short term it's undoubtly cost efficient, in the long term taxes adjustments have to be feared (if all cars were electrical, the govts would still need the resources currently provided by taxes on petrol cars - and they'd most probably get them from taxes on electric cars...)
Besides, a technology that needs massively unfair tax distortion to be competitive does not impress me.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Making a compelling case for one to replace my Cooper D as my drive (20 miles) into London car. Might contact the management of the office to see if they have plans to install any electric car charging points....

--

Don't play with a girl's heart, it's easily broken and she only has one. Play with her boobs instead, they're bouncy and she has two of those.

GM/Vauxhall are onto a winner with the Ampera IMO. Wonder if they're selling well?

pilouil said...

Interesting - but as I always suspected most (if not all) of the economy benefits are due to favourable taxes (electricity not overtaxed as petrol, congestion charge, BIK...)

From new, perhaps, but in a year or two when they're more commonplace they will make a fantastic used buy. The fuel saving would equate to free motoring IMO.

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

Marv said...

GM/Vauxhall are onto a winner with the Ampera IMO. Wonder if they're selling well?

Not in the US. All the mouth breathing republicans drone on and on about "Government Motors" and "Obama car" and so sales are crap. Bloody expensive to buy here - about $5k less than my 429bhp V8 luxo-barge, so it's only the Prius crowd who buy them. Plus I live in a tower block so have no way to recharge it.

Audio Chris, are they selling the Prius pulg-in in the UK? It might have enough range to make it to the office on electricity, and I doubt you'll go over 100kmh (top speed on electricity)

pilouil said...

Interesting - but as I always suspected most (if not all) of the economy benefits are due to favourable taxes (electricity not overtaxed as petrol, congestion charge, BIK...).
So while in the short term it's undoubtly cost efficient, in the long term taxes adjustments have to be feared (if all cars were electrical, the govts would still need the resources currently provided by taxes on petrol cars - and they'd most probably get them from taxes on electric cars...)
Besides, a technology that needs massively unfair tax distortion to be competitive does not impress me.

which is why they want road pricing, they cant tax electricity like they can fuel so they will charge per mile regardless of fuel used

--

WIBBLE

ExiledChris said...

Not in the US.

In the US petrol is not overtaxed as in Europe (AFAIK it only supports VAT in the US, whereas in Europe taxes account for about two thirds of the price) so the economics are far less easy for electric cars I guess.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular