Forums > General > New car! Very green.

NEW CAR! VERY GREEN.
Previous | 123456 | Next

After a lot of pain last weekend wasting my time looking at completely hopeless cases I am very pleased with what I ended up with.

Came to the conclusion that second hand dealers should be avoided like the plague at this price level (circa £1000). They were all just awful, flat tyres, no proper brand name tyres in sight, and one that had obvious bad accident damage once I had lifted up the carpets.

So restricted my search to private. Anything that looked good had either already gone, or sounded a bit dodgy on the phone.
Until I found this.

Owned by a retired gent for the past 5 years who had looked after it in the way that 60 year old MG Owners Club members tend to. So it has 4 Toyos, has the uprated head gasket, all the history, cambelt water pump, exhaust etc.

It's not the last work in sophistication and refinement, but I tell you what, it has an eagerness and liveliness to its responses that is very refreshing. The engine is great, revs upto 7k, totally smooth all the way, and not as stupidly slow as its 100bhp 1.4 would suggest.
The faster rack fitted to the MG is very sensitive, and there is no body roll (stiffer and lower than the Rover).
Bodykit was part of the special edition, wheels were the 17" option at the time.

Everything works (well, what there is of it).
It feels very light and small, the Astra dwarfs it

It was £1100, has long tax and MOT, very economical, cheap tax, cheap insurance.

Very happy with it. (So far)
It is very metallic green. Will take more pics after washing it.

Updated November 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

WTF? Genuinely, WTF?

Should have bought an old Audi A8 for that sort of money ;)

Most random buy on the forum ever?

Still, I don't hate them. When the headgasket blows can I come and steal the cylinder head before you scrap it? ;)

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

I quite like that8)

--

Entirely pointless

What in the name of suffering fuck is going on here?

Hang on - have I blacked out again?

It's April 1st, isn't it.

You could have bought any number of decent cars for £1100!!!

As resident fanboy, I'll start:

Peugeot 106 Rallye 1.3

Peugeot 106 Gti

Peugeot 306 Xsi

Peugeot 306 Gti-6/Rallye.

Who's next?

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

JL said...

What in the name of suffering fuck is going on here?

:lol:

--

Cheers,
Mike

Whoops, just realised its a 1.4, do I don't want the head. Saw the wheels and assumed it was a 160 :lol:

Still, always thought the 1.4 was a sprightly little engine, mine suffered years of abuse and still went well and sounded good.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Gwaredd said...

Peugeot 106 Rallye 1.3

Peugeot 106 Gti

Peugeot 306 Xsi

Who's next?

I was expecting the "you could have bought X, Y, Z for that" posts.

Frankly the reality is. No you can't... Not around Herts.
And if such things do turn up they are in dreadful condition.

Around £1000 the pile of rubbish you get is staggeringly bad. This is VERY clean, will be reliable with the uprated head gasket should have no problems, I investigated this, and is very cheap to run.

Remember this is just a station car, runabout. I still have the GTR and Spec-C in the garage. Cheapness and lack of hassle are what I wanted.

Updated November 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

I've been watching them too - and for some odd reason Saxo VTRs which also appeal. Puma is still head of the list though, but finding one without rust may be the issue.

--

Cheers

Rich

But you're also getting a 320Ed company car? Why did you have to limit your search to the local area?

Rich B said...

I've been watching them too - and for some odd reason Saxo VTRs which also appeal. Puma is still head of the list though, but finding one without rust may be the issue.

All the Pumas had rust, cost lots more to tax (if 1.7) and insure (1.4 or 1.7).

Saxo VTRs are also more expensive to run, and trying to find an unmolested one is pretty much impossible at this price.

--

Mark BT52 said...

Gwaredd said...

Peugeot 106 Rallye 1.3

Peugeot 106 Gti

Peugeot 306 Xsi

Who's next?

Frankly the reality is. No you can't... Not around Herts.
And if such things do turn up they are in dreadful condition.

Around £1000 the pile of rubbish you get is staggeringly bad. This is VERY clean, will be reliable with the uprated head gasket had no problems and is very cheap to run.

Remember this is just a station car, runabout. I still have the GTR and Spec-C in the garage. Cheapness and lack of hassle are what I wanted.

Disposable cars are very refreshing sometimes. Park anywhere without a care and never need washing or maintainence*.

*Topped up a Passat I had for a while with a bottle of "old oil" I found in the garage. Turned out the be the diff oil my housemate had drained from his car.....Ran fine until I sold it on for my purchase price a couple of months later.

--

Cheers,
Mike

Jobbo said...

But you're also getting a 320Ed company car? Why did you have to limit your search to the local area?

Because I don't want to spend a fortune in petrol driving all around the country to look at cars which mostly turn out to be rubbish....
It kind of defeats the point doesn't it.

And I don't want to spend weekend after weekend dragging the kids around doing that all day either.

--

Fvcking hell.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

May I be the first to say "Well done, Mark"? It's a nice, honest, cheap runaround that I suspect is a lot more fun to drive than most people on here would credit.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Mark BT52 said...

Rich B said...

All the Pumas had rust, cost lots more to tax (if 1.7) and insure (1.4 or 1.7).

Saxo VTRs are also more expensive to run, and trying to find an unmolested one is pretty much impossible at this price.

My searching hasn't extended to going to see cars yet, so I expect you are totally correct.

Mg looks good though, Particularly on the straight spoked wheels!

--

Cheers

Rich

Mark BT52 said...

I get that it's a lazy purchase, but still! ;)
First 2 mins of looking

It's even black!

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Best take your sh1tty stick to work with you, so you can beat a path through the hoes hanging around your sick ride at the end of the day.

Actually, you might be safe with a green one.

Updated November 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Previous | 123456 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular