Forums > General > Speed Awareness Course's

SPEED AWARENESS COURSE'S
Previous | 12 | Next

Will be if the other insurers follow suit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20328860

Can't see anyone bothering if they have the same impact as points and are more expensive in the first place.

Carl.

Updated November 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM

The question is, how are insurers finding out? The speed awareness course is in lieu of an FPN, and is not a conviction. And they do not ask if you've been on a SAC at policy start or renewal, so surely as long as people are answering the questions asked honestly, then the insurance company won't find out?

_Who_ said...

The question is, how are insurers finding out? The speed awareness course is in lieu of an FPN, and is not a conviction. And they do not ask if you've been on a SAC at policy start or renewal, so surely as long as people are answering the questions asked honestly, then the insurance company won't find out?

Reading that article it sounds like they are asking the question.

--

Cheers

Rich

_Who_ said...

The companies in the report above ARE asking at policy start and renewal.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

Dr Carlos said...

Can't see anyone bothering if they have the same impact as points and are more expensive in the first place.

Correct. I took points instead of being patronised for 2-3 hours anyway.

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

What is the point of them anyway? Wouldn't 3 points, £60 and the course in the first place be better punishment anyway?

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

What is the point of them anyway? Wouldn't 3 points, £60 and the course in the first place be better punishment anyway?

It's 3 points, £60 fine plus insurance increase for 5 years OR the course (which cost £100) with no increase in insurance at all or it was until Admiral started adding the increase on for the course. No one will bother with the course now (which must have been a great money spinner for the plod).

Carl.

Updated November 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

yet another example of why I hate motor insurers! I do wonder if you tell a little white lie and say you haven't been on one, if they have any way of finding out the truth?

Lets face it, records of your criminal convictions are kept and records of your insurance claims are kept (by insurance companies) but are there public records of who attends these courses?

This reminds me of the nonsense around winter tyres, you can fit ditch finders without declaring but there is a weird minority of motor insures who want to know if you have fitted the appropriate tyres for winter motoring?

I do hope the current inquiry into motor insurance practices has a major impact but I doubt it will sadly.....

Admiral said...

Our claims statistics show that drivers who have committed a speeding offence could be a higher risk than drivers who do not commit speeding offences.

99% of all the drivers who have ever driven a car have exceeded a speed limit at some time in there life, a proportion are unlucky enough to have been caught and prosecuted.

p7ulg said...

Admiral said...

Our claims statistics show that drivers who have committed a speeding offence could be a higher risk than drivers who do not commit speeding offences.

100% of all the drivers who have ever driven a car have exceeded a speed limit at some time in there life, a proportion are unlucky enough to have been caught and prosecuted.

FACT!

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

exiges said...

Dr Carlos said...

Correct. I took points instead of being patronised for 2-3 hours anyway.

In the US you do the course online so it's a no brainier, and you can take a course every 18 months. In between courses you have to take the points / insurance hit.

The first time I took the course I thought great this will take about two minutes. I skipped straight to the answers which you have to get 100% right to move to the next section, and question 3 was something along the lines of "what colour is Toby the dog's favourite ball?" :lol:.
Each section has a few of these phrases embedded to make you read every line :evil:.

It's still only 30 mins maximum of your time though as you end up skim reading for anything non car related. You feel like a real expert in road safety afterwards :D.

Might as well put all the premiums up as everyone speeds.

Orange Cola said...

Might as well put all the premiums up as everyone speeds.

my MIL doesnt, shes the old biddy doing 38 in a NSL with a 2 mile queue behind her .....:evil:

--

WIBBLE

I paid the fine.... got no points as i am immune with my irish license 8)

My insurance premium went down when I got 3 points earlier this year. Although I did move away from Admiral.

action jack84 said...

I paid the fine.... got no points as i am immune with my irish license 8)

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

CLUNES LOSES CHURCHILL

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

The irony is strong in this one

Dr Carlos said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

It's 3 points, £60 fine plus insurance increase for 5 years OR the course (which cost £100) with no increase in insurance at all or it was until Admiral started adding the increase on for the course. No one will bother with the course now (which must have been a great money spinner for the plod).

Carl.

I'd always take the course anyway. You won't ever loose your licence on "9 points + 1 Course"

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Dinny_G said...

Dr Carlos said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

Carl.

I'd always take the course anyway. You won't ever loose your licence on "9 points + 1 Course"

This is the obvious point (or lack of them). You'd have to be very confident of not hitting 3 more GATSOs in the next 4 years to not take a course if offered.

And has anyone noticed points now apply for 4 years and not 3? It used to be 3, but you couldn't apply to have them physically removed from your licence until 4, but now it's 4 and they can be removed as soon as 4th anniversary is reached.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular