Forums > General > FAO Beany or any other PC geeks

FAO BEANY OR ANY OTHER PC GEEKS
Previous | 1 | Next

I want to upgrade the processor in my board from an E4700 to a X6800. Intel compare thingy for info.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2(rev 6.6) and the CPU support list tells me that it will support the X6800, but the chipset (Intel 945GZ Express) cpu support list doesn't list the X6800 as supported.

So who do i go with? :?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--

Cockwallet

Think of it like the VAG 1.8T.

The base spec is 150/180, but with the right ancillaries (cooling, etc) it can be bumped up to 225hp without problems.

The base 845 chipset only supports 800mhz FSB in it's raw form, but bang more power, and chipset cooling on it, and it'll run 1066 without problems.

If GB have approved the X6800 with the F2 bios, then that means they've installed it, and tested it. So it should work with that BIOS.

Always go with the motherboard manufacturers spec.

So if i understand you correctly, i'd have to upgrade the PSW to make sure i've got enough wattage and bung on a couple of chipset coolers?

The current psw is a 200w one which i was thinking of upgrading anyway, but how do i confirm whether the BIOS is the F2 version? Will it say on the boot screen?

--

Cockwallet

CPU-Z is your friend here

install and marvel at the wealth of detail about your pooters innards it can detail - mainboard tab will tell you your bios revision :D

--

New exhaust valves and pipework fitted

Sponsor me here - http://www.justgiving.com/teacherboy

Angry Ali said...

So if i understand you correctly, i'd have to upgrade the PSW to make sure i've got enough wattage and bung on a couple of chipset coolers?

The current psw is a 200w one which i was thinking of upgrading anyway, but how do i confirm whether the BIOS is the F2 version? Will it say on the boot screen?

What? No. Yes. Sort of. Let me explain.

Gigabyte have put more hardcore power regulators and cooling onto the motherboard than what Intel spec'd for that chipsets requirements, so it'll handle the 1066mhz FSB speed where the vanilla intel spec'd one would crap out. You won't need chipset coolers or owt, Gigabyte sorted that out themselves. It's already there.

Just make sure the PSU is a reasonable one (if it's 200W, you might want to look at getting a 500w Antec one - not that you'll need 500W, but it'll guarantee it has enough amps for the chipset because a decent PSU has better rails than a cheapy 200W one which will sh1t itself at the slightest provocation) and you should be good - the motherboard specifically states it supports that CPU so just make sure you have enough juice for it, and ensure the BIOS is at the correct revision.

As for the mobo revision, there's normally an interrupt key (Del, F12, etc) that it'll say to press to enter 'setup' - in there it'll tell you what revision of the BIOS it has. Most mobos from the last ten years support updating of the BIOS from Windows, so you shouldn't require any ninja skillz to do it.

Updated November 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Ah, i get you now. Thanks Beany.

As i said before, the current psu is a rather old 200w item, so i'll make sure i upgrade that to a decent one with ample wattage as you suggest, before i upgrade the cpu. Oh, and i'll make sure the BIOS is the correct revision.

--

Cockwallet

t3acherboy said...

CPU-Z is your friend here

install and marvel at the wealth of detail about your pooters innards it can detail - mainboard tab will tell you your bios revision :D

Handy little program. Cheers 8)

--

Cockwallet

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular