Forums > General > Young Drivers

YOUNG DRIVERS
Previous | 1 | Next

" Young drivers face a ban on carrying anyone other than family members as passengers under proposals being considered by the Government to cut the number of road accidents involving teenagers "

At first probably not a bad idea, but have they thought this through as to how they could possibly enforce this.

Half the reason for getting a licence is so you can drive around with your mates, bloody spoilsports. Unenforceable and draconian, and still misses the point entirely, that being youth is all about being stupid and learning from it..

If they're going to put so many limitation on getting a license you might as well wait till you're 25 before getting one. What's the fvcking point?!

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Seems fair enough. The part of your brain which evaluates risk is still developing until you're in your twenties anyway.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Si_ said...

Seems fair enough. The part of your brain which evaluates risk is still developing until you're in your twenties anyway.

Perhaps the things considered risks to avoid are different when you're young? Getting killed (and even getting others killed) is much less of a problem than losing face, and this is by no means limited to traffic..

One of my completely unrealistic pet ideas is making it a legal requirement that activation of any "electronic safety net" (ABS, traction/stability control) shames the driver. For example:

-First incident gives you a warning (sound + light on the dashboard that shows your passengers that the needed to be saved from their ham-fisted driver by the electronics).

-Second incident within an hour of driving time triggers a distinctive flashing of the hazard lights (perhaps something rhyming with "banker" in morse code) that continues until you've parked, switched off the engine and sat on the driver's seat for 15 minutes. Ideally your location would also be automatically posted on facebook so your friends could come and show their appreciation for the heroic actions behind the wheel...

I'd imagine this would drop the young drivers' accident rate quite a bit, essentially simulating learning to drive in Finland in the 80's (proper winters, crappy RWD cars with sub-par tyres and threat of severe mocking from your friends if they found your car in a ditch)...

--

My other posts are mainly on Flickr

One of the few things that Australia has got right - mandatory P plates, though I think 3 years is too long, 1 year would be a good idea, with the appropriate restrictions.

I found it was about two years before I thought I was better than I was and wrapped a car around a tree.

It certainly taught me a lesson!

It was only a 1.1 too :oops:

I personally thing some kind of power, or power to weight ratio restrictions increasing yearly for the first two or three years might not be such a bad idea

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

integrale_evo said...

I found it was about two years before I thought I was better than I was and wrapped a car around a tree.

It certainly taught me a lesson!

It was only a 1.1 too :oops:

I personally thing some kind of power, or power to weight ratio restrictions increasing yearly for the first two or three years might not be such a bad idea

I dunno - smaller cars need to be thrashed to make good progress. I'm fairly relaxed in the current motor, mainly because I have a nice, wide band of torque to use.

Maybe all youths should be forced to drive small capacity turbo diesels? Enough torque to shift the car along at a relaxed pace, but no buzzy, thrashy noisy 'cool' revving noises to make them feel like a racing driver? ;)

Small cars with small breaks and tyres and crap suspension are way more dangerous than cars that are designed to go fast. They should insist on new drivers driving sporty cars.

--

Cheers

Rich

Did any of you guys do the Driver swap at 80mph? you know when you recline the two front seats - your co driver holds the steering - you jump in the back and he shifts over. You lose if the speed goes under 70mph.

I did it a couple of times. This is why all young drivers should be shot (me included - although this was nearly 15 years ago).

Somehow after a year of absurdly stupid acts on the road we all calm down (even the total w@nkers like myself).

--

Bristol SuperYachts

Strangely enough I have never had an accident. Hurt myself a few times on a dirt bike though.

--

Bristol SuperYachts

Young people banned from using cars would also reduce the number of young people involved in car accidents - I don't think it would be particularly fair though.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

pilouil said...

Young people banned from using cars would also reduce the number of young people involved in car accidents - I don't think it would be particularly fair though.

Then our premiums would increase to make up for the loss of revenue by Insurance Companies ;)

Updated November 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular