Forums > General > OT/ Any gym monkeys on here?

OT/ ANY GYM MONKEYS ON HERE?
Previous | 1234 | Next

If so, why is finding a diet/workout plan so hard?

I thought I had a decent knowledge of sport and fitness but after scouring the net, there's so many different sites telling you something different it's impossible to form a solid plan to suit you :evil:

This is pretty good for reference.

Guide

Age old question Alex. What exactly to you want to achieve for yourself healthwise?

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

Woops, missed that outta my post. I'm trying to gain weight and bulk up, but not in a ghay way so I can wear tight shirts etc. Just to get fitter and stronger. You a gym guy yourself?

You need to eat more. Simple as that really. Do whatever training you enjoy, but eat the right stuff and eat lots of it if you want to fill out.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

mattcambs said...

You need to eat more. Simple as that really. Do whatever training you enjoy, but eat the right stuff and eat lots of it if you want to fill out.

I've been eating pizza for years, and have filled out nicely.

*jumps up and down*

*waits ten seconds for the shockwaves to stop*

Was there some excercise thing that I was meant to be doing as well? :?

One of my mates at school used to be big into cycling, very slim and fit, popular with the ladies. He wanted to be bigger, so started taking a supplement (when we take the piss, we call it 'bulk up' but I don't know if it was actually called that). Anyway, he did bulk up, and very quickly started looking like Shrek, 10 years on, despite not wanting to anymore, he still looks like Shrek.

Make of that what you will.:)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Yeah, keep away from those supplements and protein shakes. Only go for the bars as they're much better for you if you want to go down that route.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

the best thing about being small and getting bigger is that you can use yourself for the exercise. do a bunch of sit/press/pull-ups every morning/evening/whenever you like, you'll build muscle, add weight, and thus build more muscle, and add more weight.

and eat bananas.

And make sure you have a large protein shake branded plastic cup that you take everywhere and leave in as prominent position on your desk/train/meeting table/etc as possible, then when questioned act like its some kind of essential chore you HAVE to do.

Like every other gym monkey.

--

Cheers

Rich

Squats, deadlifts, inclined bench, go heavy, work to fade, drink milk and get regular amounts of good quality chicken (not tescos crap etc, butchers stuff) and never eat past 6pm.

This is to build strength, I did the weight loss thing to good effect but it was a while back and I enjoy my food too much :lol:

Will elaborate when I'm not on an iPad.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Rich B said...

And make sure you have a large protein shake branded plastic cup that you take everywhere and leave in as prominent position on your desk/train/meeting table/etc as possible, then when questioned act like its some kind of essential chore you HAVE to do.

Like every other gym monkey.

:lol:

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

Pick up a copy of Mens Health magazine, there should be plenty of info.

--

GraniteV8 said...

Squats, deadlifts, inclined bench, go heavy, work to fade, drink milk and get regular amounts of good quality chicken (not tescos crap etc, butchers stuff) and never eat past 6pm.

This is to build strength, I did the weight loss thing to good effect but it was a while back and I enjoy my food too much :lol:

Will elaborate when I'm not on an iPad.

Dave!

Cheers Dave, that would be appreciated 8)

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

Well I've found Mens Health to be a source of confusion. I bought a couple of issues to see if it could help, but all you're met with is "LOSE YOUR GUT IN 2 DAYS!!" GET A 6 PACK IN 20 MINUTES!" etc. I know they can't publish the same stuff each month of course, but each issue seems to bombard you with superfood this and superworkout that that it's hard for a beginner to learn the basics.

At the end of the day, it's simple. To get bigger, you need to put more calories in, but good calories (like Dave!!! mentioned) not bad ones like pot noodles & crisps.

Then you have to train hard & get all those calories to go where you want them to, in your arms, shoulders, pecs etc by doing weights & sit ups etc. Target the areas you want to improve. If not, you will simply just get fat.

If you go running & riding lots, then you will just burn off all those calories & remain slim. Fit & toned, but still slim.

Supplements work for some, but I'd sooner spend the money on food instead & do it properly.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Eat plenty but always healthy and balanced, get your proteins mostly from legumes and fish (meat and dairy also if you want but moderately), avoid most supplements / shakes / bars as they are full of junk and sugars whilst providing far less nutrients and protein compared to what you can get from an appropriate healthy athlete's diet.

Remember that the key is to be muscular AND healthy, not muscular with digestive and liver problems, kidney stones, skin conditions ... or worse later in life depending on diet and supplements. True strength is built and maintained inside and out.

Train compound movements such as deadlift, squat, bench, pullup: 3 - 4 sets of each exercise increasing weight and decreasing reps, for example 4 sets of 12 - 10 - 8 - 6 reps. Don't do max loads, work through the full range of motion at maximum effort (max effort and max load you can lift don't necessarily mean the same). Add some explosive work on alternate days, such as plyometrics or kettlebells or circuit type training, good for your overall fitness and true strength ... no point in having big muscles with no resistance and no cohesion outside of a few training movements.

Don't read much and don't get caught up in timetables and programs and such ... train as much as you can then take a few days off when the muscles are sore or cycle body parts trained for a little while (for example one workout upper body movements, next one lower body).

Before every work out warm up and do a little cardio which is indispensable for core fitness, after every workout stretch thoroughly or you'll become stiff and useless. ;) No joke, stretch, what we lose the most in our life time, as we age, is joint mobility and muscular and connective tissue suppleness.

Most of all it's about learning what YOUR body responds to, your appropriate calories and protein requirements, recuperation from training, effort levels ... it all varies form person to person, have fun with it but also implement the necessary hard work and discipline: if you do, in a short time you'll see real results not just in muscle size but more importantly in overall energy, health and true strength.

Updated November 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM

My friend is on the Starting Strength program, and has bulked up like anything in the last 6 months. It focuses on arms, shoulders and legs mostly, but your abdominal muscles will get a work out a well.

As Dave! said, make sure you have a high protein diet - you need to eat to bulk.
Starting Strength

--

Plump eyes?

Alex88 said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

Well I've found Mens Health to be a source of confusion. I bought a couple of issues to see if it could help, but all you're met with is "LOSE YOUR GUT IN 2 DAYS!!" GET A 6 PACK IN 20 MINUTES!" etc. I know they can't publish the same stuff each month of course, but each issue seems to bombard you with superfood this and superworkout that that it's hard for a beginner to learn the basics.

True but you're going to get similar responses when talking to different people.

Do you have a local gym? Why not speak a personal trainer who knows his stuff.

--

Alex88 said...

Woops, missed that outta my post. I'm trying to gain weight and bulk up, but not in a ghay way so I can wear tight shirts etc. Just to get fitter and stronger. You a gym guy yourself?

Okay, now we can look into a bit deeper. Phut, Granite, and Piro have given some great advice. We need you to determine what body type you are and start from there. You could be one type or a combination. Knowing what you want healthwise it's best to get advice as to what exercises/routines will get you there. You'll get plenty of info, but it is down to you come up with a routine that suits you best.

When you start out at the gym, take it easy. Get to know each piece of equipment (try them out) and what it does and have someone show you. For the first 4-5 weeks train twice a week for up to 45-60mins, always warm up/down stretches and cardio. Believe me, this going to feel like hell, but you'll have to stick at it. When you feel more confident, you might want to step it up to 3-4 times a week. Keep up with the warm up/down and cardio. Mix things up, for your muscles have memory need a jolt now and again. Take your time and don't be put off by the guys/gals who think that they own the place. On you off days and when you wake up and before you hit the sack do some stretches, push-ups/sit-ups/crunches.

Eat healthy foods, but allow yourself some vices but in moderation. Buy a skipping rope and if you can, find a boxing gym. The circuit training is second to bloody none. I do this once a week along with bag work, and boy it rocks. Don't do any sparring work unless you want to be boxer. Other than that, have fun. I hope this makes sense. As for your question, I am a gym guy and enjoy other outdoor pursuits as well. Let us know how you fair8)

Body type link

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular