Forums > General > Racing Lines on the road.

RACING LINES ON THE ROAD.
Previous | 1 | Next

Why is it that when I'm driving along a great road, braking in a straight line, nailed a couple perfect heel 'n' toe down shifts, turned in just right, feeding the power in, start to feel the back go light, aiming spot on for the apex, only to find some road designing idot has placed a drain cover right on the apex, and its not even level with the road surface. Ruins it all and, knocks you off line, and mkes the suspension crash.

Drives me mad. :x

Updated November 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM

--

Congratulations, you came second.

These idiots are also pretty good a putting stuff at exactly the right place to kill motorcyclists too!

Updated November 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM

mostly just on mountain roads. up there, the white line/s on the middle of the road doesn't mean $&^%.., at least for me:twisted:

As Ravi correctly comments, they nearly always put a grid or pothole smack bang in the apex, dammed inconvenient. At the moment we have wet leaves to deal with as well!

It bugs me when you see how incompetent some people are,
it makes me laugh when I see either a speed camera or speed bump, just after a junction, or somewhere else where you'd struggle to exceed the speed limit anyway.

--

Prove what ?

My personal hate is having a load of greenery in the middle of a raised round-about. Then have a Zebra crossing on the hidden exit. :evil: There was a RB near my old flat that probably had a crash every other day because of this. Never reported of course, due to only being minor smashes.

Another annoying one is in MK.
A nation speed limit duel carigeway, a smallish round about, with a 40mph sign just before it, and then returns to 70mph straight after.
You can be going at a fair lick, and still not manage 40 around it ! Whats the point a a 40 sign ?

--

Congratulations, you came second.

Because if a corner has any superelevation on it the apex is probably the best place to drain run-off from...;)

Have you also noticed that there's street furnite at the point on the outside of a bend where you'd understEer off to? ;)

Up here in Scotland there has for a number of years been a conspiracy to have traffic moving in trains of 45-55mph due to most decent and formerly safe overtaking spots having trees and shrubberies grown exactly in line of sight.

So now if you come up on a train and dare to overtake then you are considered to be the automotive equivelant of Savile! :shock:

RingNut said...

Why is it that when I'm driving along a great road, braking in a straight line, nailed a couple perfect heel 'n' toe down shifts, turned in just right, feeding the power in, start to feel the back go light, aiming spot on for the apex, only to find some road designing idot has placed a drain cover right on the apex, and its not even level with the road surface. Ruins it all and, knocks you off line, and mkes the suspension crash.

Drives me mad. :x

Maybe because he was designing a road and not a race track;)

I thought this was going to be about using all the road when pushing on, and I fully expected that markmctavish guy to be on here preaching that you must stay in your lane at all times. Glad to see that's not the case.

They have started putting solid islands in some good overtaking spots near my mum's, but there is a lot of bad crashes on the road, probably from retards not executing a good overtake. So despite it being an inconvenience to me, I can understand why they've done it.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Swervin_Mervin said...

Because if a corner has any superelevation on it the apex is probably the best place to drain run-off from...;)

The alternative moan would be: why is there always a puddle on the apex...

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular