Forums > General > FAO Mac people

FAO MAC PEOPLE
Previous | 12 | Next

Are Pages and Keynote the equivalent of Word and PowerPoint?

If I purchase those 2 with my Mac will I be able to view Word and PowerPoint documents on it? Or do I have to buy Microsoft Office for windows?

--

How about not having a sig at all?

yep

office for is pretty good, especially if you use both platforms a lot

Updated November 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Libreoffice

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Given that Office for Mac doesn't always work that well with Office docs made on Windows and vice-versa, I can't see Pages and Keynote being particularly compatible (despite what the specs may say).

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

Mark BT52 said...

Libreoffice

Cheers, will get pages and download this. Should cover all bases. Now to plan which Starbucks to sit in like a tw@t reading Facebook and pretending how perfect my life is :lol:

--

Mito Man said...

Mark BT52 said...

Libreoffice

Cheers, will get pages and download this. Should cover all bases. Now to plan which Starbucks to sit in like a tw@t reading Facebook and pretending how perfect my life is :lol:

It defaults to saving docs and spreadsheets in odf (open document format) and odx, (and whatever it is for Presentaions) but you can change that in the preferences to anything you like, doc, docx, etc, and it will open pretty much anything.

It is a spin-off from OpenOffice, so very similar. Basically all the OpenOffice guys left when it was taken over by Oracle, and carried on developing it under the Libre name. It is now a few steps ahead of OpenOffice, although OO did recently have an update. Really they are virtually identical though.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

What Mac have you got - the Air?

Haven't got any yet. But going to order the Mac Pro with retina display.

My lecture notes are in Word and slides are in Powerpoint. I just want something which can let me open word and PowerPoint so I can add my own notes to them in the lecture. Also need to be able write essays on it and then convert them back to Word so when I submit it to my lecturers they can access it.

Is there an app or something that lets you put all of your work into something like a virtual folder on your mac? There's a random guy at uni who I see has something like that on his. It's like a virtual folder and he has all of his notes and stuff nicely organised there. Anyone know what it is?

--

Mito Man said...

Haven't got any yet. But going to order the Mac Pro with retina display.

My lecture notes are in Word and slides are in Powerpoint. I just want something which can let me open word and PowerPoint so I can add my own notes to them in the lecture. Also need to be able write essays on it and then convert them back to Word so when I submit it to my lecturers they can access it.

Is there an app or something that lets you put all of your work into something like a virtual folder on your mac? There's a random guy at uni who I see has something like that on his. It's like a virtual folder and he has all of his notes and stuff nicely organised there. Anyone know what it is?

You can save to iCloud.

If you are getting a Retina mac, get Pages, as it's optimised for the Retina display.

You might be lucky and find a build of Libre Office that has been Retina adapted. Currently MS Office is not Retina, and looks sh!t - they are going to fix it soon though.

Which Retina are you getting, the 13 or 15? Don't forget to use your student discount too! Not sure what the UK deal is as you can't check the website from none educational IP addresses. The US apple store is giving $100 in vouchers to students ( on the 15 inch MBPR at least ) Very useful, as it covers the cost of Pages and Aperture. ;)

Updated November 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Cheers for letting me know about the discount. Just had a look online and I need to be connected via the university network to get it or go in store with my student card so I'll probably just do that. Going for the 13" unless the discount is very big.

--

Mito Man said...

Cheers for letting me know about the discount. Just had a look online and I need to be connected via the university network to get it or go in store with my student card so I'll probably just do that. Going for the 13" unless the discount is very big.

How much is a cheap flight to America?

Mito Man said...

Going for the 13" unless the discount is very big.

Up to £184

Seems the US store has stopped the vouchers, which is a shame. Have a look on the US site though. Sales tax in the US is about 9%, but the edu discount is 10%. The people in the Apple store don't particularly make a thorough check of your edu ID, so I'm told. ;)

I'll go into a Apple shop sometime this weekend and ask them about it. Need to pick up a new remote for the Apple TV as I've lost it.

--

Mito Man said...

I'll go into a Apple shop sometime this weekend and ask them about it. Need to pick up a new remote for the Apple TV as I've lost it.

I tried Apple TV - and was totally underwhelmed. Seems too US centric, and limited in fuction. Maybe the newer firmwares have improved it? Ended up buying a WD LiveTV, as it actually did what I wanted ( streamed from NAS, PC, Mac, Humax STB etc )

Updated November 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Managed to get a discount code for Microsoft office Mac from my uni so that it's only £70. But I'll leave that for now.

I like Apple TV, but then I only use if for streaming music from my pc and watching youtube which it does well. Lost the bloody remote a month ago and got by using my phone as a remote but it's getting tedious.

--

Black Friday is a week away, a further saving for our imaginary friend.

Mito Man said...

Managed to get a discount code for Microsoft office Mac from my uni so that it's only £70. But I'll leave that for now.

I like Apple TV, but then I only use if for streaming music from my pc and watching youtube which it does well. Lost the bloody remote a month ago and got by using my phone as a remote but it's getting tedious.

You should be able to get it for around £8.95 as a digital download from the uni licensing model.

Apple still offer eductional discount - it will work out from £80 depending on what you spec.

Apple sometimes offer other incentives as well ( earphones / case / etc )

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Cool. Cheers for the advice. Maybe I can get the 15" if all the savings work out :)

--

Mito Man said...

Cool. Cheers for the advice. Maybe I can get the 15" if all the savings work out :)

Whisper it, but do you *need* the Retina display?

That extra few hundred quid could go towards other stuff that might be more practical - a good dictaphone (or iPod with the right software) for recording lectures etc.

I'm not being arsey - I have this conversation with every customer who wants a Retina Macbook!

*Whispers* I don't need the retina display, I just want it.

You make a good point though, but I get the impression that the MacBook Pro Retina is a whole new computer rather than just a new screen?
I do tend to keep my laptops for a good while so might as well go for the newest thing they currently have. I will only get an intel i5 rather than the i7 but I doubt I will need that to run a word programme.
Edit: I use my iPhone to record lectures and its perfectly fine for that.

Updated November 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular