Forums > General > What winter tyres

WHAT WINTER TYRES
Previous | 1234 | Next

As the conti super contacts on my car are utterly shite when its cold i have splurged on a set of very cheap winter rims from Germany.

I know some of you guys venture into the colder parts of the world and I was wondering what tyres you would recommend that will work well when cold but wont disintegrate if i get a bit carried away with the loud pedal

atm i have been considering the dunlop sport 4D, continental TS830 or michelin alpine PA4

Any experience or recommendations for a performance winter tyre?

Updated November 16, 2012 at 5:45 AM

--

WIBBLE

Best I've used we're toyo snow proxs ( think that's what they were called!) however do not under any circumstances go for what my tyre man bought me last year...evergreen brand utterly pants.

Have a look at Nokian I have a set of WR G2's for my 911 and just bought another set for my banger.

They are aimed at our type of climate i.e. cold, wet and slushy rather than extreme snow, albeit they do work well in snow and ice if we get a cold snap.

The Conti winter tyres are winning all of the tyre tests at the moment, including the big ADAC one they do every year.

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

carlos said...

Have a look at Nokian I have a set of WR G2's for my 911 and just bought another set for my banger.

They are aimed at our type of climate i.e. cold, wet and slushy rather than extreme snow, albeit they do work well in snow and ice if we get a cold snap.

You have a 911?

A 996.

I have decided to keep my Integra Type R for another winter but need to get winter tyres because it is impossible to drive on semi-track tyres in snow!

Is it feasible to buy winter tyres and get them slipped onto my current rims to avoid buying new rims for just one winter season?

Or do you bugger up the tyres in the process of removing them from the rims?

Of all the winter tyres I have tried there is no doubt that the Dunlops were the best.

And the worst.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Mark BT52 said...

Of all the winter tyres I have tried there is no doubt that the Dunlops were the best.

And the worst.

lol that's really helpful and not

--

WIBBLE

Boeing said...

I have decided to keep my Integra Type R for another winter but need to get winter tyres because it is impossible to drive on semi-track tyres in snow!

Is it feasible to buy winter tyres and get them slipped onto my current rims to avoid buying new rims for just one winter season?

unless the guy is a monkey you will have no problems refitting tyres

--

WIBBLE

I have got Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT M3's fitted to my E92 and they were spot on last year. I had Goodyear Ultragrip 7+'s on the wifes MX5 and they were also pretty splendid.

I don't think that you'll go too far wrong with any of the leading brands. I'd be going for Vredestein if I were buying some more though.

Have a look at Camskill and MyTyres for a good selection

Dunlops on the A8, contis on the van. Both sets work fine, contis slightly noisier than the dunlops, this could be down to the better sound proofing of the A8.

Eric Pisch said...

michelin alpine PA4

I had some Michelin Alpin fitted to my Focus about 1 month ago (replacing Michelin Energy Saver IIRC)

Slightly less turn in feel. More tyre noise, more squealing of tyres in car-parks etc. More prone to wheelspin when setting off (could be the crap weather though). Cornering grip perfectly fine, I probably wouldn't push the car quite so hard, TBH.

Basically what you would expect from a winter tyre. Not quite as good as a Summer tyre, but perfectly ok.

Lets hope it snows! :twisted:

I have used Hankook Icebears on my TT quattro for the last two winters and find them faultless.

Very impressive in snow and ice - never once let me down. As long as the snow would go under the front spoiler the TT got around no problem. Also not too much noise with them on.

B_T_S

--

There's no replacement for displacement

Boeing said...

Tyres are fine for a good few removals and re-fits. Most places seem to charge about £50 for it though, so it soon pays off getting some cheap wheels

--

Cheers,
Mike

Brian_the_Snail said...

I have used Hankook Icebears on my TT quattro for the last two winters and find them faultless.

Very impressive in snow and ice - never once let me down. As long as the snow would go under the front spoiler the TT got around no problem. Also not too much noise with them on.

B_T_S

sensibly priced

SH1TS IN THE WOODS

--

WIBBLE

Got the Hankook Icebears from Camskills in 225/40/18 size for £100 each (incl delivery) in December 2010. Camskills are top notch and best value as long as the tyres are in stock (which they aren't for that size right now).

B_T_S

--

There's no replacement for displacement

Brian_the_Snail said...

Got the Hankook Icebears from Camskills in 225/40/18 size for £100 each (incl delivery) in December 2010. Camskills are top notch and best value as long as the tyres are in stock (which they aren't for that size right now).

B_T_S

gonna take a week for the rims to get here, not cold enough yet so in no rush

Updated November 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM

--

WIBBLE

These are full of Win

Rim protection should come in handy if you know what I mean ;) and they are 270km/h rated too so can still give it large when the opportunity arises.

New picture of the car looks good too Eric (has the added bonus of not being able to see the wheels :P )

selij said...

I had Goodyear Ultragrip 7+'s on the wifes MX5 and they were also pretty splendid.
cheap accommodation for travellers

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so they say.

No, I just scream "PLAGIERISM"

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular