Forums > Moaning forum > People being unreasonably terrified of dogs

PEOPLE BEING UNREASONABLY TERRIFIED OF DOGS
Previous | 1234567 | Next

Walking in the park with our Rottweiler, hardly a baby Labrador I know, but she's just wandering around slowly and walks up to a small kid gently wagging her tail. The kid quite literally bursts into tears when he sees her and runs to his Mum. She then goes into Oh-my-fucking-god-it's-a-dog! mode and picks the kid up telling the dog to back off whilst in a complete panic.

The dog runs back to me, terrified at their utterly retarded response to a common animal.

She then tries to lecture me that the dog should be on a lead. I tell her that's rubbish and she needs to calm the fuck down when dogs are about. I also tell her that her reaction could make the dog bite, she has none of it and storms off.

Complete fool.

Updated November 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM

As the brother of someone who was mauled by a "Lovely Family Dog Labrador", I'm with the women here mate - sorry.

You have to know a Rotweiler walking up to a kid is only going to trigger one sort of reaction.

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

I understand people being scared of dogs, but they went mental. I told her that if my dog had been dangerous, a reaction like that will scare it and it's more likely to bite. Despite this she seemed to think running around like a headless chicken was the best way to get rid of it :?

Your responsibility to keep your dog under control. Remember she doesn't know your dog or you.

Sure there is a lot of scaremongering going on, but if you read all the "mauled by a dog" stories the dog in question is always the nicest, friendliest, wouldn't hurt a fly kind. Right up until it snaps.

Had it been me I would have told you off too. If you want to introduce your dog to people then do it responsibly.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

The dog was under control? I don't quite understand how a dog wandering about a park in not responsible?

To be specific, my dog was about 6 feet away from the kid. This particular park is packed with dogs all the time. I understand it's my responsibility, but despite the stories not everyone lets a dangerous dog wander around a busy park.

My frustration was her terrible reaction, she has taught her kid that the best way to react when you see a dog is to go into a blind panic and shout and scream. Incorrect.

Telling her that your dog may well bite her probably didn't help mate!

--

Cheers

Rich

A bloody baby labradoodle went mental at me yesterday

So in summary, matey mate is doing it wrong mate. (don't upset mate or our cheap insurance deals may dry up mate).

As you were. :lol:

--

Done.

I get this with ours (and they are two waggy-tailed labradors). :?

It helps that we did some gun-dog training with them - not that we were ever interested in them being gun-dogs, but the control "these guys" have over their dogs is second to none. If ours are off lead and anyone looks remotely freaked I instruct ours to park their 4rses - and they do it....

Sounds like you need Barbara Woodhouse's help...the dog wasn't in your control by the sounds of it and was causing concern/distress to a member of the public, in a public place.

Sorry, you're at fault IMO, not exactly hard to put them on a lead is it.

Rich B said...

Telling her that your dog may well bite her probably didn't help mate!

Not quite, I said the dog was harmless and wouldn't bite. But if it was dangerous, her reaction could have made the situation worse. She just carried on screaming :lol:

_Mick_N said...

Sounds like you need Barbara Woodhouse's help...the dog wasn't in your control by the sounds of it and was causing concern/distress to a member of the public, in a public place.

Sorry, you're at fault IMO, not exactly hard to put them on a lead is it.

So a dog wandering near it's owner is out of control? Sorry, but there's no way I'm putting a dog on the lead in a park this size. The dog caused distress to not a single person except these 2. Like I said, it's their reaction to a dog waking in a park that baffled me.

Updated November 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM

N said...

A bloody baby labradoodle went mental at me yesterday

Puppies do that. They also bite until they are trained not to.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

I say baby but it was still a big dog.

Yeah, my mate has one. It's like a mental sheep.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

You let your dog walk up to a young child, you should have kept it away or waited till tvhe child I showed some interest and then let tvhe dog say hello.

Big dogs have a bad reputation and it's up to the owner to be tvhe responsible one.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

You do know the law I take it ?

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

Out of control
Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
makes someone worried that it might injure them

Updated November 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

GraniteV8 said...

You let your dog walk up to a young child, you should have kept it away or waited till tvhe child I showed some interest and then let tvhe dog say hello.

Big dogs have a bad reputation and it's up to the owner to be tvhe responsible one.

Dave!

Point taken, but the point I'm trying to stress is her reaction was worse than a dog sniffing the ground near her kid. Keeping calm was something she couldn't understand.

_Mick_N said...

You do know the law I take it ?

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

Out of control
Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
makes someone worried that it might injure them

Which is fair enough, but I still though her reaction was unreasonable. Every dog in the park can't be considered dangerous because it's going for a walk?

Updated November 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Alex88 said...

GraniteV8 said...

Dave!

Point taken, but the point I'm trying to stress is her reaction was worse than a dog sniffing the ground near her kid. Keeping calm was something she couldn't understand.

I completely agree that people who go all crazy do more harm than good. After much deliberation we are getting abRottie bitch, Male Akita and then a rescue in that order as I love big dogs and their temperament.

The simple fact is that they are intimidating to people who don't know any better.

There is something very satisfying about being totally in control of your dog and letting the idiots do the panicking.

Remember, a lot of these people read the Daily Mail :lol:

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Previous | 1234567 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular