Forums > General > BBC, time for it to go?

BBC, TIME FOR IT TO GO?
Previous | 123 | Next

It is impossible to pick up a paper, or watch the TV, without some story about the BBC concerning wrong doings and misspending of licence payers money.

Would we really miss it if it went off the air?

Updated November 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I can't think of anything I'd miss if the BBC was gone. It's outdated and pointless IMO.

--

Cheers

Rich

I would miss it, for me it's produced a lot of good stuff over the years.* It also seems to be slightly less prone to all the mock-reality TV and general rubbish that the others broadcast. I accept that it's not immune to it, but less so IMO.

* = I'm thinking comedy, wildlife, to a diminishing extent sports.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

p7ulg said...

It is impossible to pick up a paper, or watch the TV, without some story about the BBC concerning wrong doings and misspending of licence payers money.

Would we really miss it if it went off the air?

Yep they consistently make the best programmes on air. Planet Earth and the like....

Just don't believe everything their journalists say......this is true for any news network though.

Updated November 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM

--

Cheers,
Mike

Their news reporting has been woeful of late. But no worse than Sky, for example.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

I'd miss Match of the Day, but that's as far as it goes.

the british media are on a campaign to reprogram the mindless sheep so that they all start to bleet get rid of the BBC, they hate the BBC because its a yard stick they have to compete with

once gone the media Moguls like murdoch will reign supreme, you just have to look at the right wing propaganda that fox news produces

the BBC does need to focus more on original programming that the other channels wont make and leave the brain dead TV to the likes of simon cowell

cuckoo was very good and mongrels was the best thing on TV in the last 10 years imo, more like this please

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Si_ said...

Their news reporting has been woeful of late. But no worse than Sky, for example.

radio 4 news is very good, probably the only place you can get news that's not sensationalist, propaganda or fear mongering

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

duncs500 said...

I would miss it, for me it's produced a lot of good stuff over the years.* It also seems to be slightly less prone to all the mock-reality TV and general rubbish that the others broadcast. I accept that it's not immune to it, but less so IMO.

* = I'm thinking comedy, wildlife, to a diminishing extent sports.

Got to agree with you on that one. I find some of the stuff on BBC 4 very interesting. Thinking of stuff like Horizon and the other science stuff. Not made to a dumbed down audience level like what Chanel 5 would do (not that they would even make it).

--

Waiting for the Technological Singularity.

BBC is great. Best channel for me is the discovery channel followed by BBC. There are some properly interesting documentaries on it.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Granted they produce some good TV, but so do other channels without compulsory public funding

Annual Report and Accounts 2011/12

I take it Group Operating Surplus is called profit in the real world;)

I would miss it sorely. Compared to Denmark and many other national services I have sampled (Sweden being a notable exception) the Beeb produces outstanding quality TV and radio.

Sure there are mistake being made - but that isn't a reason to throw the whole thing away.

If the Beeb went all we would be left with would be commercial channels endlessly pandering to the mindless masses with more and more inane stupidity interspersed with adverts every two minutes (/mini-rant).

By having competition from a non-commercial entity the rest are forced (to some extent) to try harder and do better as people have a genuine choice - apart from turning off the telly, obviously.

Maybe we should extend the model to other parts of society? Insurance and banks come to mind...

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Feirny said...

I'd miss Match of the Day, but that's as far as it goes.

I'll miss it if Liverpool win... which should be with us anytime soon:?

Updated November 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

We need the BBC - otherwise we will end up with all the channels being like US tv :shock:
I agree there does appear to be a witch hunt on for the BBC (has been for years) but if JS et al have been touching up kids and the beeb knew about it - they deserve everything they get coming to them.

DeskJockey said...

I would miss it sorely. Compared to Denmark and many other national services I have sampled (Sweden being a notable exception) the Beeb produces outstanding quality TV and radio.

Sure there are mistake being made - but that isn't a reason to throw the whole thing away.

I can't help but feel we are being distracted from the real workings of the BBC by the argument that they make quality programs.So they should with the budget they have.

Unfortunately the Corporation , like the NHS has turned into a money devouring monster. It is living in a bubble, with it's own pecking order, bureaucracy and politics without the need to worry were the money is coming from. We couldn't do without the NHS and we are stuck with it, but that can't be said of the BBC.

So other than radio 4 and nature programmes - what else do the BBC do that's worth saving?

--

Cheers

Rich

Nature programs ?

Same old stuff every year. Just an excuse for the production teams to go on holiday.

Also, why don't we get travel programs any more ?

N said...

Nature programs ?

Same old stuff every year. Just an excuse for the production teams to go on holiday.

No reason why the BBC couldn't carry on making these as a private production company either.

--

Cheers

Rich

Eric Pisch said...

the british media are on a campaign to reprogram the mindless sheep so that they all start to bleet get rid of the BBC, they hate the BBC because its a yard stick they have to compete with

once gone the media Moguls like murdoch will reign supreme, you just have to look at the right wing propaganda that fox news produces

the BBC does need to focus more on original programming that the other channels wont make and leave the brain dead TV to the likes of simon cowell

cuckoo was very good and mongrels was the best thing on TV in the last 10 years imo, more like this please

This. Having experienced other countries TV for extended periods of time it makes you appreciate the BBC even more.

Without it we'd be left with the brain melting shite the rest of them mostly put out, as for the whole witch hunt over Saville if organisations had to fall on the swords of what their employees did pretty much everyone who works at News International (and many others) would have to ritually disembowel themselves. But all of this makes a handy distraction from Leveson doesn't it?

The BBC does sound like it could do with a management clearout, but then most large organisations could, I know my employer certainly does.

--

Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400/WRX Wagon

_Andy said...

The BBC does sound like it could do with a management clearout, but then most large organisations could, I know my employer certainly does.

The difference is that we are paying the wages at the BBC. How can you possibly justify a man who has resigned from his job, for making a b*lls up of it, picking up £500K.Definitely a case of the lunatics running the asylum

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular