Forums > General > The great multi-millionaire hypercar dilemma...

THE GREAT MULTI-MILLIONAIRE HYPERCAR DILEMMA...
Previous | 12 | Next

So, we now have a number of Hypercars coming to the market in the next 12 months - the Pagani Huayra has already been tested by some journalists.

Looking at the specs released, if it is fair to only compare statistics without ever having the chance to try one, if you were a multi-millionaire looking to purchase the best new Hypercar which do you go for? And why?

For argument's sake I have included the list of what I think are the main choices. There may be others that you may wish to add..

1) McLaren P1

2) Ferrari F150 (the next Enzo)

3) Pagani Huayra

4) Porsche 918

For the record I would go for the Ferrari because I think it will break new ground technically - especially in weight, and it is based around a naturally aspirated engine. I feel the P1, whilst not yet confirmed, will use an evolution of the chassis/powerplant available in the MP4 12 C to save on costs with it's desirability diminished for me as a consequence of that.
The Porsche looks amazing with it's technical masterclass hybrid powertrain and would probably be my second choice. The Huayra, whilst exotic in a way only Pagani can offer, to me is a disappointment in comparison to the drama of the Zonda.

Updated November 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I'd rather pay Pagani to make me a Zonda than any in that list. Unless they do an RS 918.

--

Bunta's Tofu

If I have to choose between those four, I'd take the 918. But I'd rather buy an Aventador and save the money8)

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

Can we not throw a Koenigsegg into that mix, i.e. the Agera?

I'd be look at that over say, a Huayra.

Updated November 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Of these four my feeling is that only the Ferrari and Porsche could / should be qualified as hypercars.
I'm struggling to see (apart from the price...) how a Huayra or P1 is in a different class than an Aventador or an F12.
So if I really had millions I'd buy both the Porsche and the Ferrari as hypercars, and would choose an F12 as supercar.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

The term hypercar does not work IMO. Doesn't quite have the same impact as supercar which the aforementioned are. The supercar game is evolving evermore, so no need to coin up new titles that seemingly hold no weight.

Updated November 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

--

I thought we all agreed a while ago to reject the term 'hypercar'?

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

+1 for the Agera.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

+2 for the Agera R.

Love this: Jethro Bov. in an Agera R

Updated November 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

If you're a multi-millionaire then why pick one?

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Bunta said...

I'd rather pay Pagani to make me a Zonda than any in that list. Unless they do an RS 918.

Zonda if they can source an AMG lump for me

no txs on the agera, its the vauxhall vectra of the hypercar world

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Eric Pisch said...

Bunta said...

I'd go for that other new Ferrari, can't remember it's name though, but looks lovely, and a great interior

IMO the supercar genre has already peaked. If I were a billionaire I'd only be buying the 'original' super cars - Mac F1, Carrera GT, Zonda etc

As time goes on they can only appreciate in value and well...appreciation.

Going 0-100 in 5 seconds is all well and good, but it all seems so clinical and quite frankly - futile. It's odd that even though cars are getting faster, they don't seem to be getting 'better'

My guess is that the P1 is going to be more mindblowing than people are giving it credit for.

That said, if I were spending huge dollars, there is no question that it would go for a Zonda 760 RS, with the LH-option manual transmission. It is a work of art, better sounding than any of the above, and as outrageous an expression of super/hypercar nature as I could ever want.

It has all the passion of the great Le Mans era cars, with a bit more drivability and way better detailing.

Updated November 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM

mark4 said...

IMO the supercar genre has already peaked. If I were a billionaire I'd only be buying the 'original' super cars - Mac F1, Carrera GT, Zonda etc

As time goes on they can only appreciate in value and well...appreciation.

Going 0-100 in 5 seconds is all well and good, but it all seems so clinical and quite frankly - futile. It's odd that even though cars are getting faster, they don't seem to be getting 'better'

Young-un. The SL generally gets credit for being the 'original' super car. People have argued the Muira and the Countach as well.

The Carrera GT is a long way down the line.

Alan said...

Eric Pisch said...

Bunta said...

I'd go for that other new Ferrari, can't remember it's name though, but looks lovely, and a great interior

lets just hope it doesn't have that stupid cheshire cat grinning face that blights all the current cars

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

articulatedjunction said...

Young-un. The SL generally gets credit for being the 'original' super car. People have argued the Muira and the Countach as well.

I can see the case for the SL, but wasn't the term coined specifically about the Lamborghini Miura?

As a multi-millionaire, I'd have no supercar/hypercar aspirations. The reason you see so many crashed is money doesn't equal talent, and we've surpassed what most wealthy owners can do even with the car almost driving itself thanks to computer-controlled nannies. As Clint Eastwood advised in "Magnum Force," a man's gotta know his limitations: Ferrari 330 for me, thanks. If we're not allowing vintage, Ford GT will do as well.

--

Mini Cooper S: + Strong performance, overall feel. - Over-long gearing.
Boxster S:+ Still an impeccable Sports car. - Very little.

The Muira is recognised as being the true example of the supercar template, though the phrase was first coined in 1920 in The Times when advertising the Ensign Six - a rival to the Bentley Speed 6. The SL for many was the first true supercar and some might even argue a case for the Ford GT and Ferrari 25OLM but these homolagations required by the FIA

--

Can I add the jaguar cx-75 to the list?
Not sure which one I'd have, be fun choosing though......
Pagani for its attention to detail
McLaren for same reason
Porsche for its german-ness ie build quality and the way they drive
Ferrari for its engine
Jaguar coz they pay my mortgage and for its looks....

damo.666 said...

Can I add the jaguar cx-75 to the list?

Not until we have a full production variant. I'm not a jag fan, but it does look good. Possibly something Gerry Anderson would have dreamed up. He had a series called Supercar8)

The Macca leaves me cold for some reason, but I have no doubt it will be a spectacular drive.

Updated November 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular