Forums > General > NEC - iPad mini?

NEC - IPAD MINI?
Previous | 1234 | Next

Should I get one for my mum for Christmas vs an iPad?

It is for my mum.

My mum.

She will not want any Analdroid Device, not a Lexus7, or a Microd1ck Surface or any other type of device. She will want an apple device. Fact. End of. Etc.

She has an iPhone 3GS, but stuggles with the size of the icons, and the size of the text n stuff once she opens an app.

Full size iPad would - I suspect - tend to live at home. Her home as opposed to my home.

iPad mini seems a good compromise - big enough that she can see the screen, small enough to throw in a bag and cart around. And a good chunk cheaper than the iPad2 to boot.

Note (to beany) - If the mini doesn't have the iPad's latest Qwaxxarr 7.b processor chipset, or a 50.7 gigapixel screen, she probably won't notice.

What am I missing?

Nothing. Buy one.

Hmm, iPad 2 would be the most she would use, so forget the 4.

iPad mini at £269 or iPad 2 at £329 (so £60 extra) will only give you the large screen and nowt else. If she can see the mini screen fine then get one. If she can't, get the 2.

John Lewis for the two year GT and free delivery for the win. Good luck finding stock of a mini though ;)

Orange Cola said...

iPad mini at £269 or iPad 2 at £329 (so £60 extra) will only give you the large screen and nowt else. If she can see the mini screen fine then get one. If she can't, get the 2.

I bought a new sealed iPad2 for £288 this week for a relative. Makes the iPad mini at £269 seem like bad value IMO

Get one. I had a play with one and I think I prefer them to the full fat iPad.

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

really depends on what she prefers, my mum doesn't like the mini because it's too small and gives her eyestrain.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Size-wise I really think the 7" tablets are bob-on. Go for it.

exiges said...

Orange Cola said...

I bought a new sealed iPad2 for £288 this week for a relative. Makes the iPad mini at £269 seem like bad value IMO

Where from, VAT exemption, managers specials etc don't count ;)

Orange Cola said...

Where from, VAT exemption, managers specials etc don't count ;)

EBay. I looked for someone who sells them regularly and had 100% feedback from 1000s of trades

If its new then that's a good price, for a recon'd I'd rather pay the extra for a new one and get a 2 year guarantee.

She will not want any Analdroid Device, not a Lexus7, or a Microd1ck Surface or any other type of device. She will want an apple device. Fact. End of. Etc.

Firstly your contempt for non-Apple devices seems not only a little childish, but also quite blinkered.

For example, the 32GB, 3G enabled Nexus 7 at £240 seems like conspicuously good value to me for a "go-anywhere" tablet device that can play virtually every media file type, doesn't require you to install iTunes, allows you to simply drag/drop files etc.

Microsoft Surface is a lame duck though (IMO) - if only for the fact that Windows RT will take up 16 of the available 32GB memory they ship with!

However, I would recommend an iPad2 for your Mother - I don't think the iPad Mini will be "different" enough to her phone - games etc will probably still feel a little fiddly, w/s video is laughably small on the screen as well...

Orange Cola said...

If its new then that's a good price, for a recon'd I'd rather pay the extra for a new one and get a 2 year guarantee.

I agree. This was new, sealed.

PugRallye2 said...

For example, the 32GB, 3G enabled Nexus 7 at £240 seems like conspicuously good value to me for a "go-anywhere" tablet device that can play virtually every media file type, doesn't require you to install iTunes, allows you to simply drag/drop files etc.

Similarly I know plenty of people who hate Apple products "You know, just because.."

There are plenty of games out there only available on the iPad that means I couldn't consider an Android device.

exiges said...

Bad value? The Mini is new, the iPad 2 is now 2 generations out of date. They have the same resolution. How is the cheaper one bad value?

The iPad 3 with retina display for £315 from the refurb store was the proper bargain. Sold out almost straight away.

[Edited to correct the price; it's £4 cheaper than I remembered.]

Updated November 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Jobbo said...

Bad value? The Mini is new, the iPad 2 is now 2 generations out of date. They have the same resolution. How is the cheaper one bad value?

Because it's highly unlikely the recipient of this gift would appreciate the slightly better processor and screen in the Mini (same resolution though right), but would appreciate the much larger screen of the ipad2. They both run the same software AFAIK.

Updated November 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM

What format of web page will the Ipad Mini open?
Will it link to mobile web pages like the Iphone or will it open full web pages?

PugRallye2 said...

Firstly your contempt for non-Apple devices seems not only a little childish, but also quite blinkered.

Dear Pug.

It is not for me.

Thank you.

Love mik.

exiges said...

PugRallye2 said...

Similarly I know plenty of people who hate Apple products "You know, just because.."

There are plenty of games out there only available on the iPad that means I couldn't consider an Android device.

Indeed, and such childish dismissal of Apple products would be equally small-minded.

I do agree about the availability of games and other apps, which is exactly why I bought an iPad myself.

I'm properly tempted by a £199 32GB Nexus 7 for commuting though...

mik said...

PugRallye2 said...

Dear Pug.

It is not for me.

Thank you.

Love mik.

I can read - I know it's not for you.

But why be so disparaging of the other products? You could have just written "Nexus" and "Microsoft" instead of "Microdick" or whatever it was you used.

Just a bit childish....

exiges said...

Because it's highly unlikely the recipient of this gift would appreciate the slightly better processor and screen

Apologies for replying to myself, but it would appear the iPad mini has the same processor and resolution as the iPad2 making the iPad2 an obvious choice unless you must have a smaller screen.

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular