Forums > General > expensive nail

EXPENSIVE NAIL
Previous | 1 | Next

To cut a long story short, I ran over a nail in my A8 on Saturday. changed wheel (or rather got wheel changed), and went to get puncture repaired today.

Turns out nail is in side wall, so new tyre needed. Not only that, but because 4wd it needs at least both fronts replaced, if not all 4. It is on the 21 inch wheels, and these tyres aren't even available, so need special order.

This nail looks like it will cost me close to £1300 !!

Alan said...

Not only that, but because 4wd it needs at least both fronts replaced, if not all 4.

:roll: and :roll: again. Let me guess, people selling/fitting the tyres told you that?

Fiery death will NOT occur the moment you change just one tyre...

(I hope this doesn't lead us onto rolling radii...)

Updated November 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Mark BT52 said...

(I hope this doesn't lead us onto rolling radii...)

Almost innevitable.

Bit of a p1sser. Does it have a full size spare? (I'm guessing "no")

I'm not sure Audi themselves even recommend replacing multiple tyres in the event of a puncture. Just replace the one, but with the same as the one which came off.

I hope that's correct !, I had the same advice from 3 different fitters, but then there is a recession on..

Alan said...

I hope that's correct !, I had the same advice from 3 different fitters, but then there is a recession on..

Fitters you say.. :D

Just replace the one and ignore them.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

found this link, which doesn't really help !

Been running an A8 for 55,000 miles and the front near side has always worn first (obviously), I've only ever changed the pair.

Updated November 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Alan said...

found this link, which doesn't really help !

not checked the R8s manual but 4wd systems are light years ahead of where they where, my RS4 didn't care about different rolling radius front to rear, nor did my scoobys

i wouldn't be that bothered by a 2mm rolling radius difference side to side either for the diff, having one side aqua planning because of of the tread difference would worry me more

Updated November 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM

--

WIBBLE

You get no sympathy from me for having 21" wheels ;)

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

as quoted from ELSA (w/s manual) I've 'guessed' a 2007/8 model A8...

General information on wheels and tyres
"The factory recommends using tyres of the same make, design and tread pattern on all wheels.
Always renew the rubber valve when fitting a new wheel rim or tyre.
Tyres are to be fitted with DOT mark facing outer side of wheel. For tyres with directional tread pattern, this only applies to left side of vehicle.
If the vehicle is fitted with tyres with a directional tread pattern, the spare wheel should have a wheel/tyre combination for the right-hand side of the vehicle."

Not a bean on replacing tyres in pairs.

Updated November 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Mark BT52 said...

Alan said...

Fitters you say.. :D

Just replace the one and ignore them.

You need new brakes and shocks too.

Carl.

What about the windscreen?

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

DeskJockey said...

What about the windscreen?

Only if he doesn't mind the future resale value being affected.

he needs a new car.

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

I would say to just change the tyres on the same axle. Was this an Audi garage?

--

I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day and tomorrow don't look good either.

Be less gulible

--

Cheers,
Mike

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular