Forums > General > I know I'm doing a Munki but..

I KNOW I'M DOING A MUNKI BUT..
Previous | 123 | Next

OK, I still haven't actually placed an order for my company car. The deal is, I get whichever car plus fuel card so the only costs are:

• Upgrade Contribution (not applicable to all cars)
  • BIK
  • Fuel BIK

The following are being considered:

• BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics Auto saloon: it was OK but didn't blow me away. Main downside for me is that it's available in saloon form only. - Total cost: £323.25
  • Land Rover Evoque 2.2D Auto: I really like this car. Practical, looks great, loads of equipment. - Total cost: £502.74
  • Mercedes C250 AMG Sport+ Estate with COMAND Auto: Haven't driven one but is a lot of car for the money and is an estate. - Total cost: £409.51

Whichever car I get has to be a good family car for me, the wife, 2 kids plus all our stuff (we go away a lot in this country so carry a lot of stuff. For example, we can easily fill the boot of the Disco3 going away for a week!)

The BMW is obviously the cheapest but I think I'd get pissed off with it being a saloon.

The Evoque is much better in terms of practicality but is relatively expensive.

The Merc is a bit of an interesting middle ground, I suppose. It looks nice in Sport+ trim, goes well but probably isn't aquite as nice a place to be as the BMW or Evoque.

I know everyone's getting bored of this but I just thought I'd listen to opinions.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

You happy with the Evoques boot ?

We are on holiday the end of the month and we are taking the Forester instead of the Tiguan as the Tiguan has less usable boot space, and the Evoques is even smaller from what I've seen so I'd say you would struggle for what you need it for.

I may have missed this in a previous thread, but for how long do you keep the car?

Also, what is the heart and the head saying?

--

Nuts on the road

focus69 said...

I may have missed this in a previous thread, but for how long do you keep the car?

4 years or 100k miles, whichever is sooner (in my case 100k will come up in a little over 3 years).

Head says BMW (I'm a tight northerner), heart says ditch the company car scheme and get a C63 on lease but that would bankrupt me :lol:

--

NotoriousREV said...

heart says ditch the company car scheme and get a C63 on lease but that would bankrupt me :lol:

Done!

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

NotoriousREV said...

focus69 said...

4 years or 100k miles, whichever is sooner (in my case 100k will come up in a little over 3 years).

Head says BMW (I'm a tight northerner), heart says ditch the company car scheme and get a C63 on lease but that would bankrupt me :lol:

Then get the C250. I'm sure it will be up to the job of hauling all your stuff and it's actually quite a nice place. I'm sure you would like it.

--

Nuts on the road

NotoriousREV said...

C63 would be £540 inc vat. Get that.

I'd go for the C Class. Like you say it's probably not as nice a place to be as the Evoque but I'd bet it covers the rest of the bases better.

I was having a nose around an Evoque a while ago and it seemed pretty small inside

--

I often drive for a road travel

exiges said...

NotoriousREV said...

C63 would be £540 inc vat. Get that.

Plus fuel for 30k private miles per year. Not doing that ;)

Updated November 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

--

_Mick_N said...

You happy with the Evoques boot ?

We are on holiday the end of the month and we are taking the Forester instead of the Tiguan as the Tiguan has less usable boot space, and the Evoques is even smaller from what I've seen so I'd say you would struggle for what you need it for.

On paper, the Forester has 387 litres with the seats up (I find that hard to believe, surely it's bigger than that?), the Tiguan is 470 litres and the Evoque 575 litres. It's a nice useable shape, too.

I think people see the Evoque as being small due to it's proportions rather than actual size. There's loads of space inside.

--

If the Merc has nice sized alloys then go for that, they really look dated with small wheels on them.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

I'd be tempted to try a C-class and then choose either that or the Evoque. Know what you mean about the estate body.

GraniteV8 said...

If the Merc has nice sized alloys then go for that, they really look dated with small wheels on them.

Dave!

Sport+ comes with 18s which are surely the smallest acceptable wheel on a modern car? ;)

I should say that when they picked up the demo Evoque last week, I was genuinely gutted to be handing it back.

--

Try the Merc and see if you like it.

Then get the C63 and the fuel card.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

We have a virtually identical situation.

The extra expense of the alternatives is simply not worth it for what you can get over the BMW. In particular the Merc would be a debatable choice even if it were the same price as the BMW!

Was concerned about the boot space, but actually it is pretty big these days.

No brainer IMO. BMW, and put the money saved towards running a genuinely interesting car.

Updated November 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Jimmy Choo said...

Sadly, not an option. If it were I'd do it. Or buy a GTR at the last second.

--

Mark BT52 said...

The extra expense of the alternatives is simply not worth it for what you can get over the BMW. In particular the Merc would be a debatable choice even if it were the same price as the BMW!

Faster, right shape, more kit - there comes a point below which the cost saving isn't worth it because the car doesn't meet your criteria. I dare say a Focus or Astra would meet either of your basic requirements.

Jobbo said...

Mark BT52 said...

Faster, right shape, more kit - there comes a point below which the cost saving isn't worth it because the car doesn't meet your criteria. I dare say a Focus or Astra would meet either of your basic requirements.

But the Focus/Astra are not significantly cheaper than the BMW (if at all) and lets face it, the Merc is still a really really dull choice, nothing that you would be excited about running, so if you are going to have to live with something dull then at least do it cheaply.

I would agree that the Evoque is interesting, but interesting enough long term to be worth the difference in price...?

Updated November 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Is the C220 not available? When I was looking a couple of years ago I was looking at the C220 Touring in Sport spec and it was a great drive and plenty fast enough. It felt nicer inside than the 320 in every way apart from the handbrake control. I can't comment on the LR as I have never sat in one. Why didn't I get one? Well it would not take 3 child seats across the back bench so I have to get a people carrier.
Get a test booked in the C-Class it will be worth it.

Carl.

NotoriousREV said...

Jimmy Choo said...

Sadly, not an option. If it were I'd do it. Or buy a GTR at the last second.

Have you not asked your employers if they know who the fvck you are?

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular