Forums > General > New TV at last!!

NEW TV AT LAST!!
Previous | 12 | Next

Bit of background:
Bought a £1800 Samsung D7000 55" from Richer Sounds earlier this year. Looked great, until I watched it at night. Then I noticed light bleeding at the edges and very poor backlight uniformity causing nasty clouding in dark scenes whenever there was panning.

Looked at MANY Samsung D7000/8000 sets in many shops and came to the conclusion that whilst some may have been better that the stock that Richer Sounds had, they all still had the problem to some extent or another.

Since it appeared to be a general feature of edge lit LED backlit LCDs from the all the reviews I started looking at the more expensive £2000 Sony HX923 which has a full panel array of dimming LEDs for the backlight.
I could see no bleeding or clouding issues at all with these. But getting hold of a 55" HX923 was pretty much impossible as they had just stopped making them... I ordered one, but after a week or two they admitted they couldn't get them.
So I moaned a lot on here ( :shock: ) and gave up.

Then last week I noticed an ex-display 55" 923 up for sale for just £1299. Was delivered for free yesterday, has a 5 year warranty and is absolutely spotless. Not a single mark on it or even on the 3D glasses.

As the front is just a single sheet of flat black gorilla glass I was expecting it to be pretty scratch free anyway.
Looks great as it is very thin with no visible border at all when off.

After a short period of calibrating I have to say I am very happy ( :shock: ). As it has dimming local LEDs the black levels reduce to 0. Watching a film with the lights off you cannot even see the shape of the panel on dark scenes, or even where it is just a corner of the screen in shadow for example.
Colours are excellent, it has a large palette than the Samsungs and with the smooth gradient software enabled there are no visible bands at all during things like Ch5's red screen at the start and end of adverts, or in the PS3 home menu, however hard you look.

Motion smoothing is something I'm a big fan off. I would have liked to have seen the hyper-realistic Samsung style effect, but it can't quite do that in any mode, instead it manages completely buttery smooth full 1080 motion resolution with very little soap-opera effect. (Most people would see that as a good thing, as it retains the film 'atmosphere'.)

Built in wi-fi means you can do all the media stuff like the Samsung, and like the Samsung it's all a bit naff as you are denied access to picture setting in this mode.

Sound quality is terrible. There should have been a built in 2.1 sound bar stand, but they haven't delivered that yet. The unit is just too thin to be able to house a good speaker.
Doesn't matter though as I will go through the proper 5.1 sound system anyway.

So I am happy that fate has saved me £700.

365 Electrical still have a 46" model left
CLICKY

If anyone wants one that size I would leap on it. Full array LED backlighting is a league ahead of edge-lit. Sony 953 is not available yet (and will be very expensive).

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Whilst at least 50% of those words are of no meaning to me, and incomprehensible in terms of what I think about when watching TV, I'm glad you're happy (for once ;) ) :D

At this very minute a small child he has created is pouring yoghurt down the back of the telly :lol:

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Mark BT52 said...

on it or even on the 3D glasses.

Has anyone tried the glasses-free 3D TVs ? I understand its new tech so not perfected yet, but it just seems like voodoo whenever anyone explains how it works.

GraniteV8 said...

At this very minute a small child he has created is pouring yoghurt down the back of the telly :lol:

Dave!

That reminds me, it has a proximity sensor designed to stop children getting too close.
If they get within range the picture turns off as is replaced with a warning message, a siren goes off and a loud voice says "STEP AWAY FROM THE TV. YOU HAVE 5 SECONDS TO COMPLY!"

(Ok, that isn't quite true, it just does the picture off / warning message displayed thing.)

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

I will sleep well tonight, tha*k fook for that 8)

Mark is happy = :shock:

Mark is happy about a large black thing = Sense restored to the universe! ;)

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Mark being happy about the Mark being happy with a large black thing comment = :shock:

Mark BT52 said...

That reminds me, it has a proximity sensor designed to stop children getting too close.

How can it tell they are children? Does it also trigger for small adults?

Mark, you know a lot about TV.

I am looking for a bigger tv - the choice here is Sony or Samsung.

Something bigger than 28" and the only thing it has to do is be great at displaying video games (I will plug headphones into the tv).

Any suggestions?

--

Bunta's Tofu

Mark BT52 said...

GraniteV8 said...

Dave!

If they get within range the picture turns off as is replaced with a warning message, a siren goes off and a loud voice says "STEP AWAY FROM THE TV. YOU HAVE 5 SECONDS TO COMPLY!"

(Ok, that isn't quite true, it just does the picture off / warning message displayed thing.)

That's a frickin' awsum feature! MiniChoo practially climbs into our teenytinyTV (22" of viewing pleasure) when he's playing LSW3.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Mark BT52 said...

Unfortunately my 2 year old can't read and my 5 year old would think it a great game to drive dad mad by going up to the tv to stop the picture.

exiges said...

Mark BT52 said...

on it or even on the 3D glasses.

Has anyone tried the glasses-free 3D TVs ? I understand its new tech so not perfected yet, but it just seems like voodoo whenever anyone explains how it works.

+1 chap in John Lewis tried explaining it to me. He kept going even when it became clear that my eyes had glazed over.

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

Sí Barone said...

Mark BT52 said...

Unfortunately my 2 year old can't read and my 5 year old would think it a great game to drive dad mad by going up to the tv to stop the picture.

Gaffer tape FTW.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

I'm not a fan of 3D, with glasses or without as I find the fixed layers look more like watching a play with flat detailed scenery at different distances away.
Took the glasses off after watching something for a few mins and switched back to 2D and my initial reaction was how much more realistic it was....

The no-glasses technology will only be able to offer the same poor quality of 3D. I'm a fan of the concept, just not the implementation. Reckon it's some time before we get the depth of detail required to make it worth it.

--

JL said...

I'm glad you're happy (for once ;) ) :D

This means the world will now end.:cry:

Goodbye!

:lol:

Updated November 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Mark BT52 said...

I'm not a fan of 3D, with glasses or without as I find the fixed layers look more like watching a play with flat detailed scenery at different distances away.
Took the glasses off after watching something for a few mins and switched back to 2D and my initial reaction was how much more realistic it was....

The no-glasses technology will only be able to offer the same poor quality of 3D. I'm a fan of the concept, just not the implementation. Reckon it's some time before we get the depth of detail required to make it worth it.

A well set up Full HD Tv with a top notch HD signal has enough depth & pop to it to almost be 3D anyway. I think 3D will die a death but the added depth next gen 4k will be a winner. No dark glasses needed, everyone's a winner.

Wehay, a TV at last! I seriously hope it doesn't break though as Sony aren't the best at repairing. In your case I'd imagine you'd want the set repairing as there's nowt else you can stand to watch.

Blimey, buying a TV for you sounds difficult! :lol:

I'm very happy with our LG 670T 50" Plasma, however I don't think I'd notice most of the things you are talking about.

What was your beef with Plasma again? Not dark enough in a light room?

--

Cheers,
Mike

3D died a pretty quick death in the 90s, and I suspect the same will be the case for the latest round of 3D. I'm not a fan, but then it doesn't work properly for me.:?

I wish they'd hurry up with holographic projections already!

Anyway congrats on the telly and subsequent happiness!

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular