Forums > General > PC Buying advice

PC BUYING ADVICE
Previous | 12 | Next

I know Tim was doing this a week or so ago but my budget is a little less.

Any good?

Alienware Aurora R4
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 (3.60GHz, Four Core, 10MB Cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
Additional Hard Drive : 1 TB 3.5inch SATA III (7200 RPM)
1 TB 3.5inch SATA III Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
16 GB Memory (4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel
Graphics : Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555
AlienFX Colour : Mars Red
Display: Not Included
English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
24X DVD +/- RW Drive
ALX Matte Black 875W Chassis
Dell 105 Key Soft Touch USB Keyboard Black

Price: £836.31
Price excl. VAT and delivery

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

It appears to have two operating systems and doesn't have an SSD drive.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

As per Jimmy's comments.

Also, do you need an i7? Otherwise there is money to be saved by going i5.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

DeskJockey said...

Also, do you need an i7?

Wants > Needs

It's from the Dell outlet shop, there are no config options - it is returned as scratched/dent/refurbed - hence the savings.

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

DeskJockey said...

Also, do you need an i7?

Not this sh1t again! :lol:

Zips just buy what you want. Asking anyone else will only end up in more confusion and being told you're doing it wrong.

Those Chilblast systems are fvxcking ace, by the way.

--

Tim

Toyota. Flat Cap. Grey Slacks. Slipons. Slower than everyone.

I was merely trying to help :lol:

Anyway, if it is a "this is it" config, then just get it!

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

£890 worth of chillblast ordered. Hurry up now!

Chillblast Vantage Black Midi Mesh Gaming Case
Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.0GHz
Akasa Nero 3 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
Generic thermal paste
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
16GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (4 x 4GB sticks)
Chillblast AMD Radeon HD 7770 1024MB Graphics Card
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps
LG Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive
Chillblast Basic 700W PSU
Onboard High Definition Audio
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Standard Chillblast Cable Management
24" Asus VS247H Widescreen LED Monitor
Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Mouse
Logitech S-220 2.1 Speakers

--

Looks fine for the money though I'd definitely stick an SSD in there, and use the HDD as a storage drive.

Just Jon Innit said...

Looks fine for the money though I'd definitely stick an SSD in there, and use the HDD as a storage drive.

And an i7.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

:lol:

SSD can come later. Even without it, will still piss all over my 7 year old laptop.

--

unzippy said...

I ordered mine on a Sunday and it turned up on the Friday. Really well put together too, super neat install.

--

Tim

I will add nothing to this thread :lol: other than

GET AN SSD.

Seriously, you all know how cynical and generally weary I am of WunderTech stuff, but an SSD is about the single biggest improvement you can make to any computer.

Put an SSD (another Samsung SSD 830) into my mates Core2Quad 6600/6gb of RAM which previously had a boggo 1tb HDD in it, and whereas previously photoshop and picasa etc would churn the HDD, windows updates would take a while, etc...

....now it just monsters anything you throw at it, like water off a ducks back. And that's with a SATA2 chipset - which it saturates, as it's a SATA3 SSD.

Get a decent Sata3, current gen SSD like an 830/840/Vertex4/etc, get it in a big enough capacity to comfortably handle the OS and your primary applications (office suite, photo handling, couple of games etc) and you will never look back.

What Beany said.

A good SSD is by far the best and most significant upgrade I've made in recent years - and now they're so cheap, there's no reason not to.

Get it changed. Seriously.

--

ClubLupo

I wouldn't say they are cheap - £140+ for 256gb is a lot of £/gb (although significantly less than this time last year, etc) but for the difference it makes in the performance of the PC from a day to day perspective in every manner, the bang for buck you get from adding a decent SSD to an otherwise perfectly servicable PC is head and shoulders above any other upgrade for the money IMHO.

Jimmy Choo said...

It appears to have two operating systems and doesn't have an SSD drive.

and none of them appear to be mountain lion :D

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Beany said...

I wouldn't say they are cheap - £140+ for 256gb is a lot of £/gb (although significantly less than this time last year, etc) but for the difference it makes in the performance of the PC from a day to day perspective in every manner, the bang for buck you get from adding a decent SSD to an otherwise perfectly servicable PC is head and shoulders above any other upgrade for the money IMHO.

This more so if you get 2 SSDs and strip them like i have :)

You can also setup your own fusion drive on OSX 10.2, which is very cool

http://jollyjinx.tumblr.com/post/34638496292/fusion-drive-on-older-macs-yes-since-apple-has

Updated November 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Tim said...

unzippy said...

I ordered mine on a Sunday and it turned up on the Friday. Really well put together too, super neat install.

I take it you knew when it was going to arrive? I've placed the order, it says processed but I've heard nothing else..

--

Email them they're pretty good at responding quickly.

--

Tim

Beany said...

I will add nothing to this thread :lol: other than

GET AN SSD.

Seriously, you all know how cynical and generally weary I am of WunderTech stuff, but an SSD is about the single biggest improvement you can make to any computer.

This times a million.

CPU improvements in recent years have been very small increments - SSD is massively quicker than conventional drives.

It's enough of a difference that I'm going to attempt the terrifyingly tricky process of taking my iMac to bits to put one in there, as it's the only machine I own that doesn't have a SSD and it feels slowest despite a decent CPU and 24GB of RAM.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular