Forums > Moaning forum > Sports Direct

SPORTS DIRECT
Previous | 12 | Next

Bought a jacket from Sports Direct a month or so ago after rave reviews about it online.
Only wore it once, misplaced the receipt.

Wore it up Scafell Pike yesterday, and the pocket fell off. It also leaked around the same pocket (presumably the membrane is damaged).

Took it back to Sports Direct today for an exchange. I didn't even try for a refund, I just wanted a jacket with the pocket intact.
Shop floor worker referred me "upstairs". Exchanges guy can't do anything without a receipt. "Sorry". End of.
This jacket is only available from them.

I asked to speak to the manager. The manager didn't care. I explained that I had spent £100 on this jacket and it had fallen to bits the first time I had worn it.
Eventually the manager agreed that if I could bring in a bank statement he could use that to trace the receipt.

I'm pretty peeved about this. Yes, I should have kept the receipt, but clearly this "Elite Alpiniste" jacket is unfit for purpose.

Any suggestions on how I can get all Sale Of Goods Act on their ass?
I'll never buy anything from them again, and would advise others to do the same.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

It would be the manufacturer that would be liable if the coat isn't fit for purpose afaik.

Pretty cunty of the shop to not offer an exchange though.

--

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

zedleg said...

It would be the manufacturer that would be liable if the coat isn't fit for purpose afaik.

Pretty cunty of the shop to not offer an exchange though.

Wrong. It is the merchant who has to provide goods fit for purpose.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

You dont need the receipt but you do need proof of purchase i.e bank statement or cc statement.

Not great customer service, but not really wrong either.

I wouldn't bank on the statement being taken as proof of purchase, most places don't accept them anymore and one manager oik could have a different opinion from another manager oik.

Si_ said...

I'll never buy anything from them again, and would advise others to do the same.

As far as I'm aware you need a receipt when returning faulty goods, those that do replace or exchange without a receipt usually do it out of goodwill, so the manager wasn't doing anything wrong.

Sports Direct though, do they sell anything decent ? All the stuff I've seen in their shops has been tat, and the type of person that frequents their shops is probably why they adhere to the Sales of Goods Act to the letter
:)

I'm surprised you found something so expensive in Sports Direct :lol:

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

_Mick_N said...

Si_ said...

As far as I'm aware you need a receipt when returning faulty goods, those that do replace or exchange without a receipt usually do it out of goodwill, so the manager wasn't doing anything wrong.

Sports Direct though, do they sell anything decent ? All the stuff I've seen in their shops has been tat, and the type of person that frequents their shops is probably why they adhere to the Sales of Goods Act to the letter
:)

Adidas, Nike, et al are still Adidas or Nike if bought in Sports Direct. Just cheaper. I bought my Sambas there and. Nifty pair of Vans too. Always get the nippers trainers there as well.

Updated November 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

I'm taking in a printout of the credit card statement, so they can link the receipt no.

It was an eVent hillwalking jacket. Supposedly more breathable than Goretex. And the bits that didn't fail we're great.
They sell Berghaus GoreTex PacLite jackets for £150+, Mick.
It's the closest thing we have to an outdoors shop here :roll:

--

If the product isn't of satisfactory quality, you only need evidence that you bought it. If you don't have a receipt or credit card statement, that's not fatal but you have to be believed by the shop or, failing that, by a judge in the small claims court. To be honest I don't think it'd be hard to persuade the judge that you bought it if you ever got that far.

I think they are the only UK stockists of this jacket. Counter staff confirmed it and said "we sell them for £30 out the warehouse, you know". "RRP £200".

--

It was the attitude which annoyed me.
I was in George Fisher yesterday, and the staff were lovely. And the equivalent jacket was £350 :?

--

Si_ said...

It's the closest thing we have to an outdoors shop here :roll:

Really? There's about five outdoors shops in Ipswich :lol:

As well as a Sports Direct. They're a bit chavvy, but they are cheap.

I've always thought that without a receipt, you're fvcked. I didn't occur to me that you could use a credit card bill as proof of purchase, but then I don't really find myself loosing receipts or returning things that often either.

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

Normally wouldn't bother, but failure on the first proper outing of a £100 jacket really fvcked me off.

--

And I'm doing a 17miler through the peak next Sunday.

--

The fact is the shop probably didn't do anything wrong asking for a receipt / proof of purchase, take the bank statement to the shop and job done they will exchange it.

Vote with your feet, If I get bad service I don't go back. I know the Wife takes things back to shops without a receipt, but as I said before it's more goodwill than anything else.

I recently bought a 3-1 walking jacket and can recommend http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk one near you ?

Huge range to try on for and lots of advice, I ended up with a Regatta Hawken and really happy with it, 80 quid I think.

Updated November 12, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Si_

If the credit card statement gives a reference that links to something on their systems that shows what item was purchased in that transaction, then that is more than adequate proof of purchase.

The law doesn't require you to have a particular form of receipt or other proof of purchase. You just need to show on the balance of probabilities that (i) you bought the item from that shop (ii) it is not of "merchantable" quality / fit for purpose.

Based on what you've said in this thread, you'd be home and, erm... dry in the small claims court.

_Mick_N said...

The fact is the shop probably didn't do anything wrong asking for a receipt / proof of purchase, take the bank statement to the shop and job done they will exchange it.

I think he's after a refund rather than an exchange. I would be.

Max, that's what I thought. And they confirmed they're the only UK retailer for this item.

Mick, yep, will be voting with feet. I already have a TNF 3in1 jacket but they are too heavy for "proper" walks. I can see how they would be ideal for fishing, however.

Jobbo Is Correct, as per. I don't want another, as I am concerned it would fail in the same way. The ones in stock had the security tag making a hole in the fabric (duh), so I may as well buy some seam sealer and re-attach the pocket.

My credit card online statement was offline yesterday, will get a printout as soon as they're back up.

I did credit card it to try and get some protection, but I think it was just under the £100 limit anyway :?

--

You need proof of purchase.

Ideally this would be a receipt, however, a bank statement or credit card bill should be proof enough. Bear in mind, neither a bank statement or c/c bill say what you've bought, just how much money you spent and where.

How does minimum wage Sports Direct boy know when you bought the product? It could be 5 years old for all they know.

this is the issue.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular