Forums > General > MR2 Roadster 1 year in.

MR2 ROADSTER 1 YEAR IN.
Previous | 1 | Next

After a year with no issues other than consumables etc I fired it up today after a 20 mile run to be met with no power steering. Will have to wait till tomorrow to see what's wrong, worse case, a new pump is a fortune and not worth doing.

Surely you won't need a new one though?

Hopefully not but looking at the owners club it is a common failing at this age, a replacement is approx £700+ vat

sniffydog

:(

Hope it gets sorted on the cheap.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Seems steep. I was able to buy a PS pump rebuild kit for my JDM Toyota Soarer from a Toyota dealer for about £60. Or are the newer pumps unrebuildable?

--

Out of step with the forum.

Don't know but this is the price quoted on the owners clubs. Will plug the diagnostic computer in tomorrow.

we had 2 roadsters, put 130k miles on the last one with only having to change some bulbs and remove the rusted rear box heat sheild, then the rear calipers needed replacing which was going to cost more than the car was worth so we PX/d it

great fun to drive, needs a vtec engine ;)

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

£700 from Toyota.

£150 for a working used one off eBay.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Wow. Will only the OEM pump fit? I'd be looking for a cheaper one with similar specs - there's almost always something when dealing with a mass-produced car.

--

Mini Cooper S: + Strong performance, overall feel. - Over-long gearing.
Boxster S:+ Still an impeccable Sports car. - Very little.

integrale_evo said...

There's one there for half that

Having just bought a 2003 6-speed on a whim I would be keen to hear other posters' experiences with the MR2

First impressions-largely positive.Not especially quick but sounds pretty good with the TTE Remus exhaust which mine has.
Was slightly concerned about wet/icy weather handling but no scares so far.Traction generally stronger than motor!
Looking forward to some dry days!!

epbrown said...

Wow. Will only the OEM pump fit? I'd be looking for a cheaper one with similar specs - there's almost always something when dealing with a mass-produced car.

Yes, it's an electric system too. Found a company that does recon ones for £275 + VAT,

N said...

integrale_evo said...

Link? Cheapest one I can see is £120, you don't know how much life it has left though so I'd rather have a recon one with a guarantee. I've just hit mine with a hammer which has 'fixed' it but it's bought a bit of time. Surprised how heavy the steering is without it, certainly couldn't drive the car any distance.

Eric Pisch said...

we had 2 roadsters, put 130k miles on the last one with only having to change some bulbs and remove the rusted rear box heat sheild, then the rear calipers needed replacing which was going to cost more than the car was worth so we PX/d it

Supposedly the 190bhp 4 pot used in the Celica and later Elise is a relatively straight forward fit into a MK3 MR2. Judging from a brief but fun drive in the boggo MR2, a 2ZZ engined one would be a fantastic little car. 8)

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Zonda_ said...

N said...

integrale_evo said...

Link? Cheapest one I can see is £120, you don't know how much life it has left though so I'd rather have a recon one with a guarantee. I've just hit mine with a hammer which has 'fixed' it but it's bought a bit of time. Surprised how heavy the steering is without it, certainly couldn't drive the car any distance.

click

edit: sorry I didn't read the description..

Updated November 11, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Mine did this once, but turning it off and on again fixed it.

Country road earlier I crested a blind summit at xxmph to discover farm mud all over the road.
Juuuust managed to slow it down before the next bend, cue lots of comedy fishtailing whenever I went near the power for the next couple of miles.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

djchocice said...

Eric Pisch said...

Supposedly the 190bhp 4 pot used in the Celica and later Elise is a relatively straight forward fit into a MK3 MR2. Judging from a brief but fun drive in the boggo MR2, a 2ZZ engined one would be a fantastic little car. 8)

i think you could be right

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular