Forums > General > £20k - 1 car or 2 cars?

£20K - 1 CAR OR 2 CARS?
Previous | 12 | Next

Thinking about the replacement for the 130i which has been a good 'compromise car' for the last couple of years

Thing is, I need something for the day to day slog - motorways, station car parks, kids football practice AND something that's fun and fast.

I've started thinking maybe 2 cars serves my needs better next time around.

For my budget of circa £20k I could get two £10k cars - say an E60 530d Auto and a Boxster S OR a one car, say a nice 335i, 911 (997s may be in budget soon) or M3.

I do 15k miles a year, need at least one car to have rear seats for small kids.

What do you think?

Updated November 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Personally I'd go the two car route if you have somewhere to park them. As nice as a Boxster is I'd be looking for something a little more different for weekend fun. Does a Westfield type car appeal or an Elise?

I suppose you have to think whether you would actually use the second one - or Woolf it end up sat on the garage waiting for that perfect day when you don't need to carry kids/leave it at the station/fit the shopping in/etc...

I would rather have one car that could do everything, even if that means a slight compromise.

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich B said...

I suppose you have to think whether you would actually use the second one - or Woolf it end up sat on the garage waiting for that perfect day when you don't need to carry kids/leave it at the station/fit the shopping in/etc...

I would rather have one car that could do everything, even if that means a slight compromise.

Rich B makes a good point, especially if you have a young family. For me personally I've used my weekend car a handful of times since my son was born over a year ago as other things take priority now, whereas before it was every other weekend.

2 cars. The 530d is very tuneable too, not much money on a remap sees E46 M3 performance.

i too am in the 2 car camp, but would be looking at the westfield/elise side of things for the fun car....and less than £10K here.

Be honest though as others have said, will you use it. I sold my westfield through complete lack of use, although this was due in large to not likeing that experience anymore.

--

My Glass is always half full

Would the fun car have to have back seats too?

I am in the one car camp on this one, there are plenty cars capable of carrying your family and having some fun.

Unless you are getting a track toy/Sunday car that you plan to keep for a long time like an Elise/Caterham in which case might be worth it.

£20k would get you some nice stuff right enough.

i tried the 2 car route, didn't work for me

i would prefer a B7 Avant RS4 over a dull car and a fun one

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/rs4/rs4-quattro-avant-last-sold-by-audi-in-july-2011--best-under-20k-and-under-60k-miles/875746

Updated November 11, 2012 at 7:41 AM

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

I'm loving the two cars route at the moment. I don't have any kids though, so it's a bit easier to choose the fun car as I don't have any practicality requirements.

I don't plan to ever be without a fun car, kids or otherwise, but having never been there who knows I guess.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Pisch comes up trumps for a change using his Audi bias ;)

2 cars all the way.

McSwede said...

Pisch comes up trumps for a change using his Audi bias ;)

because they are brilliant all in one cars, i tried an oil burner barge, it made me want to drive into a wall out of boredom

i am looking forward to driving the new A45 AMG merc when that comes out next year, rumors are bimmer and merc are going to introduce more 4*4s which could be interesting, hopefully BMW will finally bring over the M3 touring as well

Updated November 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Abbey Clancy looks great and yes she probably does to both ??

But can she cook and clean like a live-in maid?

You need two cars.

Updated November 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

We're a two car family but we're not restricted to taking tge 'boring' car if I need to take the family out. I'm 99% sure I'd barely use a 2 seater, but at the moment I do ~5000 miles a year in the fun car.

Don't you find the 130 a great compromise though? It'd be top of my list if I could only have one car.

--

Ben

Now I have space, the idea of only owning one car is just wrong. Currently I'm happy to admit I have three bangers (with a combined value of less than £2000 let alone twenty), two of which work!

Mind you an extra 18k would be nice, I would probably end up with a whole fleet of cheap and interesting older cars.....

I'd buy 1 500BHP+ car. Save on the extra insurance, tax and servicing and spend it on fuel.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

2 cars - but choose the right 2 cars. The Boxster is a great car but when I ran a 330i Touring and a Boxster, the Boxster didn't get enough use. It would be a better compromise single car because it's too capable and not special enough just for weekends.

So, something like a 5-series and an Elise.

Thanks for some great replies - most of which sort of re-affirm where I'm at with this.

The 130i is a great compromise car but it is just that - a compromise.

I need something to do 150 miles at 6am in the rain on on November Monday morning (as today). Sadly, I crave the comfort of a 5 Series (or even A8) for wafting.

At the same time, if I replace if with another 'one size fits all' car I just fear that I'm missing out on all those car itches that I need to scratch - Porsche, TVR, Elise.

Seems I'm answering my own question....

Keep the ideas and views coming...

1 estate or 4X4 and 1 fun car.

The fun car doesn't have to be a 2 seater coupe or Elise etc. Just something different enough to want to drive when the journey allows it and practical enough to be fun all year round.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Still reckon the Land Cruiser / M5 combo takes some beating. The main thing is to make sure the boring car is not boring.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular