Forums > Gaming forum > DOTA 2 - Talk to me

DOTA 2 - TALK TO ME
Previous | 12 | Next

So it came up on Steam as "you already own this", but I guess everyone gets that, since it's apparently free-to-play..

But, it's not properly live yet is it, it's something line $20 for the early access, anyone know when it's going live for everyone ?

How does it compare to say Diablo III ?

It's not really like D3 - DOTA (1) was a mod for WC3, it's a 3v3 PvP game. You pick a hero which levels and collects/buys items, and you play with 2 others, defending 3 lanes which have towers and spawn minions to help while trying to defeat the other teams base.

I tried the original, but it's very tactical, massively competitive and people are very unforgiving of "noobs". There seemed to be no way of learning the ropes without joining a game which you'd frequently get kicked or abused on.

Tried a few times in the days of its early conception, but never really got into it.

Updated November 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM

--

ClubLupo

I've been accepted into the Beta so I'll give it a bash and report back.

It automatically installed on my computer without me even knowing a couple months ago so I gave it a try, not my type of game if I'm honest plus it's one of those games that I just don't want to get into because of the fear that I will get into it too much and ruin myself etc.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

FINNNAALLLLYYY got around to playing this.. man it's addictive, I only played a couple of matches and had to stop because I knew I'd get hooked and the projects I have to complete before the new year wouldn't get done.

I'll be all over it soon...8)

--

Bunta's Tofu

Blimey, a single DOTA game can take up to an hour to complete, not one for the pick-up-and-play types.

The first two games I played I had to quit to do other things, when I logged in next time I was in the sin bin for quitting :x Fair enough I suppose.

The character I chose at random, a Bloodseeker, turns out it's definitely NOT the character to play when you're a n00b according to the FAQs.. So it's been a steep learning curve.

Really enjoying it though.

David - you have any spare beta keys for this?

--

ClubLupo

MattyB_ said...

For sure, how do I send it ? To your Steam ID ?

Be warned, it's a time sink.. Brad Shoemaker of Giantbomb fame has become an addict, their weekly podcasts recount how his family are getting super peed off with him and how he started playing one Friday night then didn't stop til Sunday evening (other than food break)

I've got about 30 invites for this thing, and I hate it.

--

Nuclear Engineer, but hoping to pass my exams and be legally called a Door Supervisor.

exiges said...

MattyB_ said...

For sure, how do I send it ? To your Steam ID ?

Be warned, it's a time sink.. Brad Shoemaker of Giantbomb fame has become an addict, their weekly podcasts recount how his family are getting super peed off with him and how he started playing one Friday night then didn't stop til Sunday evening (other than food break)

Yeah, just bounce it over to my Steam account, cheers :)

Unfortunately I'm well past those kind of gaming sessions, just can't do it anymore!

--

ClubLupo

MattyB_ said...

And your Steam account name is..

exiges said...

MattyB_ said...

And your Steam account name is..

Doh! Thought you'd already got it ;) It's
matmulder....at hotmail ...com

--

ClubLupo

Got it - cheers :)

Not sure what to think - its very slow paced, and I'm not sure I like the reliance on "last hit" in order to be successful. I seem to spend more time running away and healing rather than doing anything useful.

Early doors, but I much preferred "Demigod" - no reliance on last hit, arenas were smaller and games typically lasted 15-30mins.

Will have to give it a proper go when I've got some more time.

--

ClubLupo

MattyB_ said...

Not sure what to think - its very slow paced, and I'm not sure I like the reliance on "last hit" in order to be successful. I seem to spend more time running away and healing rather than doing anything useful.

A game can last up to an hour, if you want something shorter try League of Legends or StarCraft 2

As for the early stage of Dota (running/healing) are you playing as a carry which only comes into their own in late game ?

Go into the jungle to get some early levelling

exiges said...

MattyB_ said...

A game can last up to an hour, if you want something shorter try League of Legends or StarCraft 2

As for the early stage of Dota (running/healing) are you playing as a carry which only comes into their own in late game ?

Go into the jungle to get some early levelling

I've tried a couple of classes - tried some of the tanky/melee builds, but early on I'm struggling with survival needed to kill the creeps and generate cash. Seems that ranged classes can pick off the creeps in safety, generating cash more easily? Certainly in the early stages.

Will give it another go at the weekend, and look at some noob guides to try and give me some pointers...

--

ClubLupo

Playing this a bit more with a mate - it's a slow burner, and once you get used to it, it does get better.

Still only playing with Bots to get an idea of the classes and mechanisms, but starting to get a better understanding of how to play. Finding a class that fits your playstyle is tricky too.

--

ClubLupo

I picked a character at random and stuck with it.. trouble is I chose a Bloodseeker which is a carry/late game dude .. Carries are supposed to lane share so they get the XP while hanging back, yet whenever I played the people I was teamed up with kept yelling at me to get in a lane of my own.. and then bitched when I kept getting killed. :roll:

exiges said...

I picked a character at random and stuck with it.. trouble is I chose a Bloodseeker which is a carry/late game dude .. Carries are supposed to lane share so they get the XP while hanging back, yet whenever I played the people I was teamed up with kept yelling at me to get in a lane of my own.. and then bitched when I kept getting killed. :roll:

Yep, sounds about right - MOBA games have a pretty fierce audience. Feel free to give me a nudge when I'm in-game, we only play against bots, but on "Hard" so its pretty challenging.

Currently enjoying Doom, Axe and the Spider queen (can't remember her name).

--

ClubLupo

I wish I had never installed this.

What a really quite brilliantly annoying game. Not my sort of thing at all and yet I am sit sat there 5 hours later...

8)

--

Bunta's Tofu

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular