Forums > Moaning forum > Headwinds

HEADWINDS
Previous | 1 | Next

On a bike.

Makes a normally good route just not enjoyable :evil:

And a bleedin' hare almost took me off on a fast downhill section :shock: :lol:

I thought you were complaining about your headwand. :?

When the sprogs were little I had a day off and decided to go for a ride on the bike. I had to be back to collect them from school, and hadn't left much margin.

Set off and - although it was a little breezy - all seemed fine. Half way round I was onto some higher ground with no cover - and realised I had a 4 mile stretch of (relatively gentle) uphill, into a 30-odd mph headwind. Hmm. Seemed to take forever and I was bricking it about being late.... hadn't punished my legs like that for years. They were aching for days. :oops:

mik said...

When the sprogs were little I had a day off and decided to go for a ride on the bike. I had to be back to collect them from school, and hadn't left much margin.

Set off and - although it was a little breezy - all seemed fine. Half way round I was onto some higher ground with no cover - and realised I had a 4 mile stretch of (relatively gentle) uphill, into a 30-odd mph headwind. Hmm. Seemed to take forever and I was bricking it about being late.... hadn't punished my legs like that for years. They were aching for days. :oops:

If only you could have turned round and just headed back! :lol:

I tend to find that the wind always changes direction when I'm on the return leg. So you get a headwind all the way on a circular route. Irritating.

Jobbo said...

I tend to find that the wind always changes direction when I'm on the return leg. So you get a headwind all the way on a circular route. Irritating.

This. Having to pedal downhill is such a ballache!

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Worse still is the tail wind all the way out as you don't realise how hard it will be to head back. Making such good progress I usually forget and do another 5 mile.

Updated November 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Rode 225km this morning, only at the half-way point (it was an out and back route) did I realise why I'd been flying along, as I then faced a headwind for most of the 110km return leg. I did the sensible thing and started slip-steaming lorries :D

Cheers, Rich

--

JL said...

I think that of all people on here likely to perform rear wash and wipe on my tradesman's entrance, Rich is not likely to be one of them.

You're not normal though ;)

There aren't many lorries down the "woods" although I was tempted to grab hold of a tractor's trailer as he was trundling up a hill.

Reminds me of the charity rides I've done. London to Brighton was easy compared to london to south end - purely because of constant headwind. Even my mate struggled and he managed a 3:20hour marathon on his first attempt!

Updated November 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

--

Cheers

Rich

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular