Forums > General > Traffic light drag fails

TRAFFIC LIGHT DRAG FAILS
Previous | 12 | Next

Now we are all sensible and mature drivers I am sure, but equally we have all tried the odd Traffic light drag race against something just to "show 'em".

Mate was explaining his traffic light starts vs various others, but did admitt to completely fluffing one, snatching wrong gears and being comprehensively dusted by an L plated scooter.

So come on what's your worst public embarrassing display?

--

My Glass is always half full

Bad launch and got beat by a Vectra once :oops:

--

I'd rather be wrong than dull

Went for a launch and broke the drive shaft. :oops:

--

How are you doing? Is you good becos' I want to know.

Went for a launch a stuck a con rod through the block.

Best one was an L-plate scooter actually, tried to over take me at a constant 70 and gave me the dirty look as he passed, sparks then emerged from the bottom of his engine with lots of throttle twisting and he completely shagged his motor :lol:

Tried to pull away casually, low rev slur, from a Corsa that was revving up next to me - you know, to look like I don't give a crap and the Corsa was being a muppet. For reference, I normally pull away with at least 2k on the clock and let the clutch deal with it.

Shame I tried to be too cool and don't-give-a-crap, lifted the clutch too sharply at 1000rpm and stalled it.

Then suffered the occasional Zetec warm start problem. Took 15 secs of cranking to get it firing again.

Oopsy.

Corsa boy looked like a twunt, screaming his little 1000cc motor to it's sweet, sweet redline of some crap RPM, but at least he didn't hold up traffic, eh?

:oops:

Didn’t managed to embarrass myself but managed to embarrassed the other party. I was driving a turbodiesel Kangoo. Stopped at the lights and waited for the green. Green came on and a white Peugeot 307cc cabriolet was behind, he was impatiently flashing his lights. His top was open. Engage 1st gear, clutch depressed and rev the engine to the max. Lots of nice diesel smoke produced. I dump the clutch and sped away on 167nm of torque. Leaving the guy literally in the “dust.”

Hope he shampoo his hair after tt. :twisted:

www.therunningrobot.blogspot.com

--

Cirrus58

_CC_ said...

Went for a launch and broke the drive shaft. :oops:

+1

And there wasn't even someone there to race...

Also lost a "race" to a city bus. Driving a Zafira 1.6 (hire car) with a camera crew + kit (me and four adults, two cameras, lights, sound, etc.). Flat out in first and second and the bus still matched me. Had to brake and pull in behind it.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Uphill start from some lights, me a in DC2, next to a 4x4 pickup. It was wet too but smug me thinks the diff will sort things out.. It didn't, I gave it too much too early, span both fronts up and the car pulled sideways instead of forward, heading for the bow of the pickup which was matching me easily by this point! I had to back off to gain traction and by that point the lane merge was approaching so I had to relinquish my place and slot in behind. Beaten by a derv pickup..:lol:

Not done a traffic light race since I had my Rover turbo...which is a scary number of years ago.

Only embarrassing moment would be when I launched off the line with a couple of mates in the car and blew my catalyst literally into two pieces. The car was SO loud and I had no idea what I'd done, so lifted off and took it really gently (being passed by a lady with her kids in a people carrier before the lane merge) driving home, so I could borrow my sisters car. Found out what it was in the morning when I got underneath it.

Not a TLGP but I went for a double overtake in teh 166, nailed it in second and the seat back broke leaving me staring at the roof lining and swearing. :shock:

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Tried a sneaky manoeuvre in a works car on a roundabout and was beaten off the lights by a Combine Harvester :(

Dave!

Updated November 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

GraniteV8 said...

Tried a sneaky manoeuvre in a works car on a roundabout and was beaten off the lights from a Combine Harvester :(

Dave!

:shock::lol:

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

cirrus58 said...

Didn’t managed to embarrass myself but managed to embarrassed the other party. I was driving a turbodiesel Kangoo. Stopped at the lights and waited for the green. Green came on and a white Peugeot 307cc cabriolet was behind, he was impatiently flashing his lights. His top was open. Engage 1st gear, clutch depressed and rev the engine to the max. Lots of nice diesel smoke produced. I dump the clutch and sped away on 167nm of torque. Leaving the guy literally in the “dust.”

Hope he shampoo his hair after tt. :twisted:

www.therunningrobot.blogspot.com

Not much different to this really...

I used to have a Nissan terrano as a company vehicle. It was 7 years old at the time and had seen better days ( nothing to do with a 20 year old newly qualified civil engineer diffing it around fields when he was supposed to be land surveying :lol:)
It was having cold starting problems .. At the time I was seeing a girl that worked up the street from me in a jewellers shop . I was parked right outside said shop of a windy day (its always windy in the west of ireland). Cue cold starting problems.... so i cranked it on the starter for 15-20 seconds whilst dumping the throttle as well ...
The engine burst into life dramatically with the most massive burst of toxic black smoke which was blown straight into the shop...
Needless to say there was no action the following weekend

Jimmy Choo said...

Not a TLGP but I went for a double overtake in teh 166, nailed it in second and the seat back broke leaving me staring at the roof lining and swearing. :shock:

:lol:

as an alfa owner i shouldnt laugh though

Got beat by my mate driving a hire car corsa a while back.. I blame having a full car and an auto. Had my foot on the brake to stop it rolling. Completely misjudged the lights, and got made to look a fool.

That said though, hire cars are meant to be the fastest cars on the road.

When I lived in London I was coming up onto the North Circular from Romford Road in my 14 year old Volvo 760 auto estate. The "gangsta" next to me was in a newish Mk4 Gowf GTi on massive chromed wheels and, I suspect, half a ton if ICE. He was revving his mighty 1.8 engine so as the lights changed I floored it and left him for dead.

I stopped accelerating at 50mph and cruised along and hew went flying past at about 70 looking aver and smirking. As he he went through a speed camera! :D

Problem with the GT-R is that nobody wants to race you.
Which is actually a relief as it is a faff to launch and the early cars don't do it very well anyway.

But best TLGP was when my missus was driving a few of us back from a company dinner in her Prodrive Scooby wagon. We were four up and pulled up alongside a Ferrari 328 who started giving it the revs.

So I briefed her, "Don't rev it until the lights go orange, then straight to 3,500rpm and let the clutch up sharpish whilst flooring it!".
She nailed it perfectly and left the Ferrari for dust.

Vin Diesel would have been proud... :lol:

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Daddydadbo said...

When I lived in London I was coming up onto the North Circular from Romford Road in my 14 year old Volvo 760 auto estate. The "gangsta" next to me was in a newish Mk4 Gowf GTi on massive chromed wheels and, I suspect, half a ton if ICE. He was revving his mighty 1.8 engine so as the lights changed I floored it and left him for dead.

I stopped accelerating at 50mph and cruised along and hew went flying past at about 70 looking aver and smirking. As he he went through a speed camera! :D

LMAO:lol::lol:

--

Tree Trunks, I'm all jacked up because of you. Look at my jacked up face!

Not me but my cousin. He had a Gordini r5 turbo which he'd fettled. The turbo cut in at around 1400 rpm. A manta gte pulls along side and cue the engine revving. Light turns green, manta flies off, the little Renault bounces sideways and not forwards. Busy Saturday morning in st Neots.

GraniteV8 said...

Tried a sneaky manoeuvre in a works car on a roundabout and was beaten off

:? Not sure if thats a fail?

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular