Forums > General > New Car Purchased (warning - V8 content)

NEW CAR PURCHASED (WARNING - V8 CONTENT)
Previous | 123 | Next

Well - the BMW 330i Sport Coupe did me well as a stop-gap for just over a year after handing my previous company car back last summer. Loved the straight six/ auto combination with the Msport bits for fun handling, etc. It was very reliable and will be missed a little.

However, decided that it is time to scratch that V8 itch with something a bit newer, half the mileage of the BMW and still with a sporting edge.

Yesterday picked up a 56 reg Merc CLK500. This is the later facelift version with the 5.5 litre engine putting out 388 BHP/ 390 lb/ft giving 235 BHP/ tonne.

Managed to find one with Avantgarde spec so it has the sports suspension, etc put not the bigger wheels on the Sport. Very tempted to take the '500' badged off the back so that it's a bit more of a sleeper :twisted:

Impressions so far:
Noise - love the sound of that 5.5 litre when you put your foot down
Driving - great for watfing around with 7 speed auto, comfy seats, etc
Fuel - 30 MPG on 60 mile run bringing it home yesterday. Mixture of motorway, dual carriage ways, etc. Since home nearer 24-25 MPG but this was to be expected

Taking it to Dorset this weekend so will be interesting to see how it is on a longer run.

CLK500 - could be heaven or could be bankruptcy - only time will tell :lol:

B_T_S

--

There's no replacement for displacement

Very nice. The petrol V8 mercs are starting to be crazily cheap, just the complexities that scare me a bit.

Good luck, and do report back how it is to live with.

Slower than a Puma though right??? :D

That engine is great. Made the CLK55 AMG redundant because the 500 had more power.

I bet it made the 330i feel a bit weedy in comparison too :D

Nice! Have a soft spot for the CLKs.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Good darts. I don't know much about the CLK500 but looking at those figures it seems you've got a nice car there.

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

Jobbo said...

That engine is great. Made the CLK55 AMG redundant because the 500 had more power.

I bet it made the 330i feel a bit weedy in comparison too :D

The BMW was no slouch but this is in a different league :D

Also - overtaking etc has never been so easy. Don't even have to bother putting auto box into Sport.

BTW - big thank you to our resident insurance hero Alex - less than £100 extra per year than the BMW, meaning under £500 even with business use and only £200 excess. Result!

B_T_S

--

Looks clean 8) (or at least it did back in Nov-07 :P )

1. Your plates are too wide
2. Obligatory vid required
3. Have you considered a Milltek exhaust for it?

Updated November 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

No worries Marcus, looks great 8)

What Mik said, you need a smaller plate so only the "56" is showing ;)

Updated November 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Very nice, would definitely take the 500 badge off the back:twisted:

Nice purchase. I never really liked CLK's of this gen barring the 55 AMG but that is a proper Q car in 500 trim, it just looks like a boggo 220 model but of course has almost 400bhp of V8 goodness hiding within. Djchocice likes this. 8)

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

How much, if you don't mind me asking? I've a big V8 Merc itch that needs scratching.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Delphi said...

How much, if you don't mind me asking? I've a big V8 Merc itch that needs scratching.

Cabs as they are perfect for winter as long as they have Miltek exhaust and you have a Range Rover in the garage and secretly yearn for an Audi S5.

Updated November 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Bandido said...

Delphi said...

Cabs as they are perfect for winter as long as they have Miltek exhaust and you have a Range Rover in the garage and secretly yearn for an Audi S5.

Cabs are too obvious and not too family friendly. I fancy a boring looking saloon or better yet estate.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Approve!

I also love how the later 500 has the same power as the earlier AMG55. And maybe more of a sleeper than an E500 estate with the same engine, just because people seem to have got used to fast estates.

Trust the bodywork is all good.

Enjoy!

--

Nice 8)

Very nice, removing the '500' would make a good sleeper as the exhaust (usual giveaway to spec) is not that different to the lesser models.

Looks good, my best mate has a c32amg with c.350bhp that is every bit as quick as my m3, with another 40 horses I expect this is rapid!

--

Cheers

Rich

that is lovely! Good color too. Enjoy it!

Delphi said...

Traded in the BMW that cost me £4500 summer 2011 and I had done 20k miles in, plus £6500 cash. Deal included 12 month AA 5 star Warranty.

So if BMW worth about £4000 then Merc stands me in at £10500. Its a lot for a big engine Merc but hey :-D

B_T_S

--

Brian_the_Snail said...

Delphi said...

Traded in the BMW that cost me £4500 summer 2011 and I had done 20k miles in, plus £6500 cash. Deal included 12 month AA 5 star Warranty.

So if BMW worth about £4000 then Merc stands me in at £10500. Its a lot for a big engine Merc but hey :-D

B_T_S

Thats only £2.5k more than my fiesta :(

Updated November 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular