Forums > General > car key problem

CAR KEY PROBLEM
Previous | 12 | Next

Our current family wagon is a Volvo XC90, just over 1 year old.

For some unknown reason the original, and mainly used, key has suddenly stopped working, and there is no response at all in turning it in the ignition. The spare key works fine, and strangely, occasionally the main key does work after 5 mins or so.

I assume it is something to do with the immobiliser in the key fob, but has anyone any idea of how this happens, and any solution, except for I suspect a new key ?

Shirley a warranty issue Al, just take it back.

Covered by warranty surely?

Or are you just curious as to why it isn't working?

--

http://retrotekracing.co.uk

John said...

This, I know warranty will cover it, and I'm not particularly worried about it, apart from the hassle. It's just something I haven't encountered before, and am a bit bemused by how it has happened. Is there something you do, touch, encounter that can deprogram it ?

I'll ask it. Battery

--

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Alan said...

John said...

This, I know warranty will cover it, and I'm not particularly worried about it, apart from the hassle. It's just something I haven't encountered before, and am a bit bemused by how it has happened. Is there something you do, touch, encounter that can deprogram it ?

I had a similar problem with my old Citroen - there is apparently a transponder in the key that releases the immobiliser; it's not a matter of programming but a mistery of electronics... the only way to solve the problem was actually to change the key (which also implied reprogramming the other key).

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Anyone dropped the key onto a hard surface? Can cause issues with the transponder.

Thanks for the replies, definitely sounds like the transponder which I must admit I didn't know about before.

With 3 kids and 2 dogs, anything could have happened without us knowing !.

I have heard of this problem before. Did you leave it in a bowl with lots of other car keys?

Diesel Taxi said...

I have heard of this problem before. Did you leave it in a bowl with lots of other car keys?

not that I know of, but we were in a hotel last week and left it at the desk, so maybe

Joke ====>

<=== Alan

:lol:

mik said...

Joke ====>

<=== Alan

:lol:

oh yeah :oops::lol:

I got a problem with my car key, it only seems to work on a ten year old ford puma.... no matter what I do, it just won't open anything else!!:-)

Works after five minutes? Wonder if the key is supposed to charge while it's in the ignition barrel...

Porsche and I believe the newer beemer keys do this.

Orange Cola said...

Works after five minutes? Wonder if the key is supposed to charge while it's in the ignition barrel...

Wifey's disco3 does this. Smart idea 8)

Alan said...

Thanks for the replies, definitely sounds like the transponder which I must admit I didn't know about before.

With 3 kids and 2 dogs, anything could have happened without us knowing !.

I'm assuming here that it's a key in the traditional fashion? :

Try holding the key that works near the ignition barrel, and use the bad key to turn. I would guess the transponder in the good key should deactivate the immobilizer, whilst the bad key turns the barrel. If it consistently works, surely proves it's a duff transponder?

My guess is it's a fob with no charge in it as a result of not being used.

carlos said...

Porsche and I believe the newer beemer keys do this.

My e46 does it.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

mcmark71 said...

I'll ask it. Battery

Beat me to it.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular