Forums > General > Minimum plot for a 'house'?

MINIMUM PLOT FOR A 'HOUSE'?
Previous | 1 | Next

I know it'd be a squeeze but a couple of garages have come up for sale near me and the random thought has entered my head of razing them to the ground and possibly putting a (very) small home on the plot.

I've roughly measured it and it is 14.6 x 5.4 metres.

Go on.....it's way way way too small isn't it? :)

You wouldn't get a lot of outside space, which probably means it's not viable and wouldn't get planning consent.

small flats? Is that possible? Certainly in a local town a few plots have had flats built right to the edge of the plots with no outside space to speak of.

Job jobbed...

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

What area is it?

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

Hmm. Yes outside space would clearly be an issue. I've looked at the aerial shots and I guess there could be scope for a very very small patio area.

Here's a couple of pics from Google maps, showing their proximity to a block of flats and the adjacent house. Also the aerial view which shows garages.

Any thoughts?

Based on the previously-advised quantities of 5.4m x 14.6m, I would estimate the size, or area, to be 78.84m2.

Yours,

James Little BSc MRICS ACIARb

Updated November 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Don't you have to have at least a metre from each wall to the perimeter of the plot ?

JL said...

Based on the previously-advised quantities of 5.4m x 14.6m, I would estimate the size, or area, to be 78.84m2.

Yours,

James Little BSc MRICS ACIARb

Is that metres squared or square metres?

--

Out of step with the forum.

N said...

Don't you have to have at least a metre from each wall to the perimeter of the plot ?

No - how would that permit terraced houses? :lol:

Looks very much like there's a building line which would prevent you building in front of the existing garage doors, which would restrict the useable area of the plot. How tightly packed are houses generally in the vicinity?

Updated November 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Forgive my ignorance. I'm guessing when you say builidng line that you mean the fronts of the buildings must line up?

Here is a broader view of the area.....they are all large(ish) semi's, evenly spaced and not particularly cramped. It's a nice road as it goes.

I've seen worse.

It would be tricky as you're pretty close to the flats that are facing you, strictly speaking you shouldn't build within 21m of these and you certainly wouldn't be allowed any windows on the side of your building or at best totally obscured glazing.

You might get it through if you had a good case for it but you want to get some good planning advice before getting your chequebook out.

--

Done.

Depends how big a property you're after. Our old (newbuild) house was about 5m x 7m. That had 2 beds, a decent sized bathroom, small but workable kitchen, downstairs loo and a large living room (5m x 3).

A well designed build could give you a fairly decent property on a small-ish plot. What's the plot saize taking into account what Jobbo says about the building line of the properties along the road?

You're biggest issue would be the planning case.

Updated November 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Just buy clarksons Citroen camping thing that he made on topgear and park it by the garage.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

Just buy clarksons Citroen camping thing that he made on topgear and park it by the garage.

not trying to be difficult here, nor trying to hijack this thread, but can someone please point me to the thread where MitoMan explains his return to these pages. Most appreciated.

Andy G said...

Forgive my ignorance. I'm guessing when you say builidng line that you mean the fronts of the buildings must line up?

Yes, that's exactly it - the fact that the houses and the flats are all set back the same amount from the road itself indicates that you'd not get permission to build forward of that line.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular