Forums > General > Anyone climbed Helvellyn via Striding Edge

ANYONE CLIMBED HELVELLYN VIA STRIDING EDGE
Previous | 12 | Next

You ever been up Striding Edge to Helvelyn ??

Going to Paterdale next weekend and have read all the T'Internet blurb etc but some real world comments would be welcome

Updated November 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Bump

--

It's a bit narrow. Should be OK if it isn't pissing down or blowing a gale.

As above. I maybe wouldn't attmept it in the snow/ice. And there is a bit of snow up here on the fells.

It's definitely worth the trip though- the views are 8)

Friday is forecast blowing a gale, heavy rain. Sat forecast is cold, breezy, snow showers.

I've been up in cloud, and it was fine. There is a path alongside which holds the ridge at hand height, if you don't fancy the paving-slab-wide ridgetop path.

There is a scrambly couple of pinnacles at the top end, then a horrible loose peat bank onto the summit plateau.

Descent via Swirrel was steeper, and I came down on my arse.

I'm looking for ideas this weekend. We're up there but they're forecasting snow, there's snow on the tops, and my mate has never done any winter walking.

I'm taking my axe :D

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Did I mention the thousand-foot-plus drop to the tarn off to one side, and the tombstone part way up?

--

Si_ said...

Did I mention the thousand-foot-plus drop to the tarn off to one side, and the tombstone part way up?

I thought everyone knew that so I didn't mention it ;) There's a big drop both sides, the other one doesn't end up in the water though.

I'm going up on the 16th so hopefully the weather may be a little different - hopefully.

Interesting you say Swirral is steeper. T'Internet suggests it's easier

--

I think perhaps I prefer scrambling up to clambering down.

It's a good 10 years since I want, and I didn't have my poles with me. And I had a hangover so bad I could hardly stand :lol:

--

Cheers lads.

On my own as usual (Mick - leave it... :lol: ) so will play it by ear when I get up there and see what's what.

Can anyone recommend one of the Patterdale Campsites ?

Updated November 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

--

I stopped at the one up the farmtrack basically at the end of the path up to hole in the wall.

It was so windy we had to park the car on the tent to stop it from blowing away :lol:

--

There's been...erm... significant snowfall already.

Hmmmm - may have to think about this a little :?

--

Nearly died doing it back in my teens, in the snow & ice (without crampons, ropes etc). Only saved by an ice axe. Good experience though.

Dinny_G said...

Cheers lads.

On my own as usual (Mick - leave it... :lol: ) so will play it by ear when I get up there and see what's what.

Can anyone recommend one of the Patterdale Campsites ?

Are you really going alone in teh snow ?

Yep!

A few pics from last years Great Gable trip:

Updated November 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM

--

I've camped on top of Helvellyn in winter - I can only remember that it was bloody parky and not hairy on the way up because we didn't go via Striding Edge, and had crampons. Oh yeah, my mate fractured his foot on the way down. Try not to do that when on your own Dinny...

Aha - pic:

Chris.

I seem to have had slightly better weather Chris... :lol:

That looks like a VE25 - cracking tent. Mine's 12 years old now and shows absolutely no sign of faltering

Updated November 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM

--

Dinny_G said...

I seem to have had slightly better weather Chris... :lol:

That looks like a VE25 - cracking tent. Mine's 12 years old now and shows absolutely no sign of faltering

It is indeed. My mate and I still bang on about its crack tested to -50 degrees centigrade window, much to the chagrin of well, everybody. I lived in it for a couple of weeks this year Dinny... admittedly in slightly better weather than that.

It's about 12 months since I climbed anything. Tryfan in torrential rain was the last I think. 70mm in two days or something daft.

By all account new ones aren't as solid. Mine was made in California, new ones are made in China.

Pity really - Still a great design. I'd love a Himalayan Hotel for a bit of extra space when the 3 of us go away. Shame they don't make it anymore.

--

We're wondering about Scafell Pike by Esk Hause, but the forecast is more like Chris Speedingfine'a pic .
Which way did you go up Helvellyn? Thirlspot?
Bit of a long drive from Borrowdale, though :-/

--

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular