Forums > Gaming forum > Elite being resurrected again

ELITE BEING RESURRECTED AGAIN
Previous | 12 | Next

clicky linky

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

written story

I managed to get elite status on both the speccy and PC. 8)

--

Romantic BDSM

Thanks for that. I've pledged £20 for a copy of the game.

I hope he doesn't overcomplicate it like he did with Frontier.. I'm all up for planet hopping, and the online stuff, but games like Eve are just too much for the casual gamer.

Updated November 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

exiges said...

Thanks for that. I've pledged £20 for a copy of the game.

I hope he doesn't overcomplicate it like he did with Frontier.. I'm all up for planet hopping, and the online stuff, but games like Eve are just too much for the casual gamer.

Frontier was ruined by trying to make it more "realistic" with long times between jumps and less aircraft-y controls. I still got a fair way into it but it was just... hard work and not fun enough. I played Oolite (iirc) more recently and that was significantly more fun. It's just a freeware version of Elite+ updated.

--

Romantic BDSM

I was just reading that and was about to post the same thread! As David said, it could be good but the potential for cocking it up is quite large.

I had Elite on my Spectrum. Do you remember that stupid LensLok ant-piracy device that came with it?

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

I remember my brother reaching Elite level on the BBC version. Right before I unplugged something in the room which caused a power surge and the game to crash...

I'd just be happy for a completely modern game engine, with nice whizzy graphics, huge MMORPG element with a squillion people playing on the same map, and pretty much THE SAME in terms of gameplay.

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

exiges said...

I'd just be happy for a completely modern game engine, with nice whizzy graphics, huge MMORPG element with a squillion people playing on the same map, and pretty much THE SAME in terms of gameplay.

This.

It has to engage you and draw you in though. Not many games do that these days.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Wow. This is one of the first games I might actually be able to back, and I'll eat my left nut if it doesn't easily get double its requested money.

Re: EVE Online - the problem is its a double edged sword; what makes it so awesome is also what makes it so unforgiving and difficult. Hopefully they can find the balance.

AND FOR GODS SAKE give us genuine, seemless surface-to-space transitions like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE

If you could do it in the early 90s, you can certainly do it now...

(Better/longer version here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7XhaTGDYg

--

ClubLupo
Technomotive - Games, Cars, Stuff

Will it have the awesome (on the Amstrad) feature where you didn't have to dock if you saved the game, it would just reload with you safely in the space station? :lol:

I spent MONTHS of my life playing Elite - even the novella in the game pack was a good read. Epic stuff. Not sure if it translates well into modern gaming though, we shall see hopefully.

JL said...

Will it have the awesome (on the Amstrad) feature where you didn't have to dock if you saved the game, it would just reload with you safely in the space station? :lol:

The Speccy version had another good one.

Start while docked.

1) Select next hyperdrive target
2) launch from space station.
3) cut thrust to minimum, backflip to face the station entrance
4) start hyperdrive countdown
5) accelerate to enter the space station whilst the countdown is still in progress.

And you dock in the station of your hyperdrive target. :lol:

Find a nice pair of planets to trade with and in no time you have military lasers all round.8)

--

Romantic BDSM

Oddly the mining lasers were way more deadly on the Amstrad version, albeit they didn't seem like it as first. Far fewer hits required.

I'm so pleased that I committed that to memory!

JL said...

Oddly the mining lasers were way more deadly on the Amstrad version, albeit they didn't seem like it as first. Far fewer hits required.

I'm so pleased that I committed that to memory!

On the PC and speccy the mining lasers were just slower versions of the military lasers.

--

Romantic BDSM

Delphi said...

exiges said...

This.

+1

Would be great playing in a galaxy populated by other real people in ships, some trying to trade, others going into piracy. Although I should imagine all the kids and people who don't have jobs would be spending more time on it and therefore before long the galaxy being populated by super ships that crush the ships of the less 'committed' player into the dust at every opportunity.:(

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

That's the weird thing about Elite, isn't it - you look back and think of this fantastic involving gameplay and story, but if you had to describe it to anyone it would sound incredibly repetitive - buy some stuff, fly somewhere, sell some stuff, shoot some stuff. Repeat.

I do love the game but has he not been fobbing off people with this line for years?

--

Bunta's Tofu

Virtual Revels to the person that gets the relevance of this concept art they've just released.

Updated November 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

exiges said...

Virtual Revels to the person that gets the relevance of this concept art they've just released.

I'll take those revels.

Blue Danube Waltz was the music in the game when the docking computers did their thing.

In turn, that was a reference to the docking in 2001.

Updated November 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

--

Romantic BDSM

Jimmy Choo said...

I'll take those revels.

Here you go, I've eaten all the Malteser ones mind you.

--

AmperaWomenCar Trade

I think I'll download oolite tonight for a quick play.

--

Romantic BDSM

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular