Forums > General > More brilliant ideas from government...

MORE BRILLIANT IDEAS FROM GOVERNMENT...
Previous | 12 | Next

From BBC news:

A two-tier Vehicle Excise Duty, with a lower rate for those avoiding motorways and other main routes, is among options being considered by the government.

The plans would not necessarily mean those using motorways pay more than at present, a Treasury source said.

The government is currently looking at a number of different ways that roads could be owned and paid for.

The plan has yet to be considered by the prime minister, who had called for "innovative approaches" on the issue.

In March, David Cameron launched the review by saying there was a need for an "urgent" increase in private investment to improve England's road network.

Fresh ideas were needed, he said, to finance road improvements at a time of tight government finances and set the Treasury and Department for Transport to work on a feasibility study.

Under the two-tier plan, part of a driver's Vehicle Excise Duty payments would go to private companies managing and investing in the road network.

Will the stupidity never end?

Updated October 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

You would think that road tax and enormous duty on fuel would help pay for it..

Given the total spend on 'social protection' last year (unemployment benefits, state pensions, social housing etc) you can see where it goes.

I am more annoyed with the two-tier bit and the random privatisation.

1) moving traffic away from the big roads that are designed for it onto the smaller back roads is just stupid. More accidents, more congestion and more people with an endless queue of cars stuck outside their front door.

2) giving more money to private companies to run things badly while maximising profits for a small elite isn't exactly innovative or clever.

3) the Big Brother camera monitoring is another nail in the coffin of privacy.

--

DeskJockey
---

DeskJockey said...

From BBC news:

A two-tier Vehicle Excise Duty, with a lower rate for those avoiding motorways and other main routes, is among options being considered by the government.

The plans would not necessarily mean those using motorways pay more than at present, a Treasury source said.

The government is currently looking at a number of different ways that roads could be owned and paid for.

The plan has yet to be considered by the prime minister, who had called for "innovative approaches" on the issue.

In March, David Cameron launched the review by saying there was a need for an "urgent" increase in private investment to improve England's road network.

Fresh ideas were needed, he said, to finance road improvements at a time of tight government finances and set the Treasury and Department for Transport to work on a feasibility study.

Under the two-tier plan, part of a driver's Vehicle Excise Duty payments would go to private companies managing and investing in the road network.

Will the stupidity never end?

No, it won't and it will only get worse if the Scottish Labour party take over in Westminster next time round.

If only there were some way to apply a tax that took into account mileage covered, fuel efficiency and type of fuel used.

If only someone really clever could find a way to do such a thing so that people that don't do much mileage pay less than those that do more or those that choose an economical car paid less than someone who chooses a gas guzzler.

But alas, it seems beyond the wit of man.

--

Out of step with the forum.

NotoriousREV said...

If only there were some way to apply a tax that took into account mileage covered, fuel efficiency and type of fuel used.

If only someone really clever could find a way to do such a thing so that people that don't do much mileage pay less than those that do more or those that choose an economical car paid less than someone who chooses a gas guzzler.

I wonder what their excuse for not even considering doing this is? It's hardly rocket science is it?

Carl.

NotoriousREV said...

But that discriminates against people who live in areas with poor public transport. Like the UK.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

NotoriousREV said...

Exactly what I would suggest too. We could call it something exceedingly clever like "Pay-per-mile"...

--

DeskJockey
---

Dear Mr Rev,

I want a pound (2.2 kg) of flesh for the variable useage, and another pound (2.2 kg) for the fixed arbitrary guzzler-penalty.

HTH,
The Government.

Jimmy Choo said...

NotoriousREV said...

But that discriminates against people who live in areas with poor public transport. Like the UK.

So you create charging bands! If you drive around ooooooop norf where there is nothing and nobody you pay less than if you try to muscle your way around central London.

--

DeskJockey
---

I wrote to my MP:

Dear Graham Evans,

I write to you in regards of the proposals being examined by the Treasury and the Department for Transport regarding changes to the Vehicle Excise Duty.

The proposals being publicised in the media suggest that this government is suggesting that lower VED may be charged for those people who avoid motorways and major roads. This proposal will lead to many motorists choosing the cheaper VED which will then either force more traffic onto unsuitable roads, causing misery for the residents of those roads as well as traffic congestion, or it will mean those people just use the motorway anyway which will simply lead to a drop in overall tax take from VED.

It is also reported that David Cameron has tasked the Treasury and the Ministry of Transport with finding "innovative approaches" to paying for our roads. Given that VED and fuel duty raised £38.3bn against a spend of £22bn in 2011 on all of transport, I would suggest that the funding is working very well indeed and perhaps all should be left alone?

If the Government is really looking for way of fairly raising tax based on mileage covered, economy and usage, simply drop VED altogether (banking the savings of administering VED in the first place) and add more onto fuel duty to cover the shortfall. It's simple, it rewards those who drive fewer miles and/or choose more fuel efficient vehicles and the collection mechanism is already well established.

I would urge you to consider that our road network has been built and maintained with public money. Any move to privatise any part of the existing road network and introduce road charging should be vehemently opposed as it is simply not in the public interest to hand over our public assets to private hands for private profit.

Yours sincerely,

--

NotoriousREV said...

I wrote to my MP:

Dear Graham Evans,

I write to you in regards of the proposals being examined by the Treasury and the Department for Transport regarding changes to the Vehicle Excise Duty.

The proposals being publicised in the media suggest that this government is suggesting that lower VED may be charged for those people who avoid motorways and major roads. This proposal will lead to many motorists choosing the cheaper VED which will then either force more traffic onto unsuitable roads, causing misery for the residents of those roads as well as traffic congestion, or it will mean those people just use the motorway anyway which will simply lead to a drop in overall tax take from VED.

It is also reported that David Cameron has tasked the Treasury and the Ministry of Transport with finding "innovative approaches" to paying for our roads. Given that VED and fuel duty raised £38.3bn against a spend of £22bn in 2011 on all of transport, I would suggest that the funding is working very well indeed and perhaps all should be left alone?

If the Government is really looking for way of fairly raising tax based on mileage covered, economy and usage, simply drop VED altogether (banking the savings of administering VED in the first place) and add more onto fuel duty to cover the shortfall. It's simple, it rewards those who drive fewer miles and/or choose more fuel efficient vehicles and the collection mechanism is already well established.

I would urge you to consider that our road network has been built and maintained with public money. Any move to privatise any part of the existing road network and introduce road charging should be vehemently opposed as it is simply not in the public interest to hand over our public assets to private hands for private profit.

Yours sincerely,

I like it!

--

DeskJockey
---

You can do it too from here. Feel free to copy and paste my letter if you like.

--

NotoriousREV said...

Feel a bit cheeky writing to "my" MP as I'm not eligible to vote in the UK parliamentary elections.

Like the ease with which you can do it - don't even have to know who your MP is!

Updated October 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM

--

DeskJockey
---

I would worry that if it's easy to do then it is not going to be given much credence. No doubt the MPs will get their PAs to sift through the idiotic ramblings of OAP NIMBYs, so it might sometimes be difficult for a sensible voice to be heard.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

I've used it in the past and always received a response. It's no different to emailing them or writing directly.

--

I've never used it, and never got any response!:evil:

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

NotoriousREV said...

Cheers, although I change the first line to "with regards to".

Daddydadbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

Cheers, although I change the first line to "with regards to".

I'm changing the opening to "Oi, bitch!", you know, friendly like. 8)

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Load of crap, another case of the Tories trying to create policies on the hoof.

--

Large format print & graphics

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular