Forums > General > CV question

CV QUESTION
Previous | 123 | Next

What is the current preferred format for CVs?

The last one I used 6 years ago wanted just a single page using this format....

Objective
Experience
Education
Interests

Your address is in the top left and all points are put across as bullet points.

It's for a job in Norway for a position I shall never get with a huge amount of people wanting the job who are far more qualified than me :lol:

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Geez, with an attitude like that you won't get the job. Change your tune make them believe that you are more than suitable for the job, and believe it yourself.

I pretty much have the CV format your just highlighted. Keep it simple and effective, plus bulls!t free.

Best of luck8)

--

Definition of an optimist… "A person who thinks he can just afford to run a second-hand Aston Martin"

27Gilles said...

Geez, with an attitude like that you won't get the job. Change your tune make them believe that you are more than suitable for the job, and believe it yourself.

I pretty much have the CV format your just highlighted. Keep it simple and effective, plus bulls!t free.

Best of luck8)

I shall just try to neaten up my current one then :D

I'm very much in the "If you don't try you wont know" camp but it's a bit of a leap for me.

I may just storm the office, shout "I'm AWESOME" Bear wrestle them to the floor and say they are chumps if they don't hire me.

Plus i'll want a company car.

GRR

Dave!

--

Two pages absolute max.

If you're running out of space then drop the interests and non-relevant education (GCSEs, A Levels).

Experience is all they're likely to be bothered about.

--

This ^

GraniteV8 said...

27Gilles said...

Best of luck8)

I shall just try to neaten up my current one then :D

I'm very much in the "If you don't try you wont know" camp but it's a bit of a leap for me.

I may just storm the office, shout "I'm AWESOME" Bear wrestle them to the floor and say they are chumps if they don't hire me.

Plus i'll want a company car.

GRR

Dave!

That's more like. Don't forget to splash a bit of Old Spice on you. Have them smell the aroma of Supreme Awesomeness.

But 240PP has got it spot on. Experience counts, plus open mindness to learn new and improve. Go for it.

--

Definition of an optimist… "A person who thinks he can just afford to run a second-hand Aston Martin"

I shall get get adapting it this evening 8)

Dave!

--

Insist that the company car be an F40 - because you're worth it ;).

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Look to this man for your inspiration8)

--

While I agree, experience is vital, when going for a position outside your comfort zone you need to show the transferable skills that will make you successful in your new role.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Pillage the company offices in the Landie. Scandinavians are impressed by that sort of thing.

--

I often drive for a road travel

240PP said...

Two pages absolute max.

If you're running out of space then drop the interests and non-relevant education (GCSEs, A Levels).

This pretty much. Have been hacking through loads of CVs in recent months for 3 roles it's taken nigh on 6 months to fill, and given the quantity of CVs there's nothing worse than 4 pagers which take 30 mins to go thru.

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

I tailor a CV for each role I'm interested in.

As for you're "I'M AWSUM, FUTHERMUCKERS!", that should be in your covering letter.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

240PP said...

Two pages absolute max.

There is no "right".

Two pagers work for me.

If someone sends me a single-pager it always feels compressed - I tend to think "you're a b3llend that has compromised their opportunity in order meet an arbitrary goal set by another b3llend.... reject".

My mate's missus is a recruitment consultant in the offshore engineering sector if you want me to fire on some details for some friendly advice Davros?

She'll probably pimp you round all and sundry, but that goes with the territory. Decent ones are normally handy at giving advice on what does and doesn't work too.

--

Mash

Also, IIRC Dave! works with diesel engines and boats and sh1t..

If you have any pics you've taken of projects and stuff you've worked on then a web link to a photobucket album or similar wouldn't hurt. The link takes up very little space on your CV but can give them more of an insight.

They might look at it, they might not, but if they do then it'll at least show them work you've already completed and your enthusiasm for your chosen career.

--

This ^

Thanks for the offer Al but i'm currently only interested in this one job. The people know of me but it will be very hard to break through and have them hire someone who doesn't even live in the country and has no intention to.

I've made a rough copy and will sleep on it and filter it down a bit.

Any dos and donts in the covering letter?

I was just going to say how much I want to work with them and how it would be a position i'd see myself in for a very long time.

All the advice is much appreciated, i've never applied for a job before, I just went for interviews without showing a CV and got them :oops:

Dave!

--

Stage 1 passed, I'm now in the second pile where they decided if I'm one they want to interview B)

Dave!

--

This is how you do a C.V.! :D

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Delphi said...

This is how you do a C.V.! :D

Granite... Good luck!

--

Is that the Mekon on the suit?????

Re CV, always put down transferrable skills or experience. Minimum of lower education, dont wasts time with mission statements or life goals as everyone writes more or less the same thing in different order.

Most Vikings came from Denmark so not sure you should rape and pillage in your first interview, see how it goes then save it for the 2nd or even your first day in the office.

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular