Forums > Geeks corner > Engineers

ENGINEERS
Previous | 1234567 | Next

Good news for the industry and those like me in the Midlands.

Your link text

Engineering, particulary automotive has never been busier, big shortage of skilled engineers, long may it continue.

Look what JLR have done with some decent investment, maybe students / school leavers will get interested in engineering again as it has been seen as a dying trade.

I really want to go work in UK, but I'm a bit afraid that when the time comes to make a decision, I'll flinch. A few months ago there was a job ad for engineers from JLR here in Portugal. I never expected to see that, since the only car makers doing that over here are VW and Toyota, but it's very rare, and usually it's to work mainly here, not abroad, even though it was and still is the biggest opportunity for portuguese engineers to go up the ladder in the automotive engineering world.

In many ways I wish I'd stuck with Engineering instead of ending up in IT. Too late to change back, I think.

--

Out of step with the forum.

NotoriousREV said...

In many ways I wish I'd stuck with Engineering instead of ending up in IT. Too late to change back, I think.

You'd have had to wait the best part of 20 years for it to pick up, it seems. Still think I made the right decision moving away from it when I graduated.

kad said...

I really want to go work in UK, but I'm a bit afraid that when the time comes to make a decision, I'll flinch. A few months ago there was a job ad for engineers from JLR here in Portugal. I never expected to see that, since the only car makers doing that over here are VW and Toyota, but it's very rare, and usually it's to work mainly here, not abroad, even though it was and still is the biggest opportunity for portuguese engineers to go up the ladder in the automotive engineering world.

I moved over six months ago from Australia, having a great time so far, although scraping ice off the car this morning doesn't bode well for winter.....

Only problem with JLRs massive recruitment is that rental costs nearby are through the roof.

NotoriousREV said...

I don't know anyone in IT who wants to stay in it. I certainly don't long term...the only thing that's good about it really is the money.

Shame it says "skilled" though Mick.

--

Mash

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

You'd have had to wait the best part of 20 years for it to pick up, it seems. Still think I made the right decision moving away from it when I graduated.

True and I'd probably just as jaded by now :lol:

--

Marv said...

NotoriousREV said...

I don't know anyone in IT who wants to stay in it. I certainly don't long term...the only thing that's good about it really is the money.

The problem is that IT becomes the whipping boy within a company rather than being seen as an enabler.

Where I work now, upper management regularly spout off about how we hold up "ideas" from getting to customers, nicely ignoring the fact that we actually build those ideas into working software and robust websites :roll:

I will continue to spend my time re-educating people at every opportunity. This weeks lesson is "inadequate testing in order to hit a release date is a false economy, especially when you have to roll stuff back out of Production".

--

Only problem with JLRs massive recruitment is that rental costs nearby are through the roof.

Certainly the overrated Solihull area has been high'ish for sometime but I think more people are renting so the rates are pushing up a bit. Norfolk rates will always be cheaper though. Not just JLR doing well though, seems most engineering businesses are busy.

NotoriousREV said...

This weeks lesson is "inadequate testing in order to hit a release date is a false economy, especially when you have to roll stuff back out of Production".

I am both laughing hysterically and weeping.

Personally I would love the money in IT, but I'd really miss the awesome toys of engineering.

NotoriousREV said...

This weeks lesson is "inadequate testing in order to hit a release date is a false economy, especially when you have to roll stuff back out of Production".

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSS!

This weeks, next weeks, last weeks lesson that I will repeat to our client until the retards finally realise IT projects don't work from a delivery date backwards... Please also don't get me started on performance testing, simulating logging in 500 users does not mean that 500 users can actually use the software... :(

--

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

NotoriousREV said...

Marv said...

NotoriousREV said...

The problem is that IT becomes the whipping boy within a company rather than being seen as an enabler.

Where I work now, upper management regularly spout off about how we hold up "ideas" from getting to customers, nicely ignoring the fact that we actually build those ideas into working software and robust websites :roll:

I will continue to spend my time re-educating people at every opportunity. This weeks lesson is "inadequate testing in order to hit a release date is a false economy, especially when you have to roll stuff back out of Production".

Yep, IT is always the ginger step son :lol:

Company I work for absolutely hate spending money on IT. We run it on a virtual shoestring compared to other places I've worked. I'm sure they still think we spend too much despite this and they're so reluctant to invest money on projects.

One guy told me that the IT was like his wifes car - he just lets her run it into the ground till it blows up, then they get another one and the wife just gets the bus in the meantime.

He looked like a dog being shown a card trick when I asked him to show me how he would run his stock control software and Sage accounts (and as such, his entire business - no manual accounting fallbacks after so long using computers) on a Routemaster. :roll:

I guess your talking about mechanical engineering. JLR are also in a recruitment push on the s/w engineering side, including car information systems, if people want to get into auto s/w. They are big on linux in the car.

--

Something appropriate here

It seems many of you are working in IT. Just by curiosity, how is your "path" to work in that area? Do you guys have some college course specific for IT?

People around here that work in that area come mostly from informatic engineering (It's almost equivalent to computer engineering there), even though now there are dedicated courses to that, and they're growing.

I was tempted by informatic engineering, but I'm really glad I didn't go that way.

kad said...

It seems many of you are working in IT. Just by curiosity, how is your "path" to work in that area? Do you guys have some college course specific for IT?

I don't - I just fell into it sort of by accident!

Beany said...

kad said...

:lol:

Even though that not sounds good, falling in a relatively nice job (at least it pays well) by accident here is a dream. In fact, for some people falling into a job would be enough to make them very happy.

That's why I want to move there or another country, but the language is a bit of a barrier. Even my english that is "decent" when I'm writing here becomes very bad when talking to someone. It's like I just ate an hot potato and then I try to talk with it in my mouth.:lol:

kad said...

Beany said...

kad said...

:lol:

Even though that not sounds good, falling in a relatively nice job (at least it pays well) by accident here is a dream. In fact, for some people falling into a job would be enough to make them very happy.

That's why I want to move there or another country, but the language is a bit of a barrier. Even my english that is "decent" when I'm writing here becomes very bad when talking to someone. It's like I just ate an hot potato and then I try to talk with it in my mouth.:lol:

You'll fit in fine in Birmingham :lol:

Civil engineering seems to have always had a shortage in most places (on the contracting side at least). Unfortunately it means you run into a fair few retards in relatively high positions.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Previous | 1234567 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular