Forums > Geeks corner > Car storage

CAR STORAGE
Previous | 12 | Next

I have never been a fan of long term storage, the decision to put mine in was a bit financial and partially so I could try some other cars while I had some spare money.

After 2 years in a well controlled storage area and 19 months in a non heated, non de-humidified garage my opinion has changed slightly but not by much.

One thing I always liked about the Merc was how even after a few weeks of no use within 5 miles it felt fine again. My Peugeot and Diesel Golf before it always felt cold and damp and took a while to get heated through. It never felt very nice and made getting back into the car a bit dissappointing.

When the car was in a controlled storage place, after 2 years it felt normal, i'm not 100% sure if this was just a result of a big barn and lots of airflow or the fact it was a warmer space.

19 months in my garage at home, which is relatively small and not 100% watertight as you can see small damp areas along 1 wall ended up with the car feeling pretty crap.

The suspension was tight and a little crashy, the brakes felt absolutely awful, the engine was a little rougher upon start up when in cold running mode and on a couple of ocasions threw up some faults and went into limp home upon starting.

It took a couple of tanks of fuel and some long drives till the car felt normal again, which makes me wonder what damage was done or how much life i've removed from bushes, fuel lines etc.

The new garage will be de-humidified and have some heating to keep the chill off definitely.

So, proper car storage with a good flow of air around the car = good. A normal garage = bad, unless bone dry or with some form of climate control.

I was quite surprised how the Merc of all things felt when I first got it back. It certainly doesn't change my opinion on using cars properly, it definitely does them good.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

You need to have underfloor heating like what Harry Metcalfe has in his garages :D

Carcoon?

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

:shock: Can you say that?

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Marv said...

You need to have underfloor heating like what Harry Metcalfe has in his garages :D

This is the plan after putting it in the bathroom 8)

Carcoon is good but it takes up a lot of room :(

There are a few very nice breathable car covers which could help with keeping it clean but it wouldn't stop the moisture being in the room.

I'm presuming new cars are far better at handling being laid up for long periods.

Dave!

--

duncs500 said...

:shock: Can you say that?

Not these days.

Is it not ok to leave said car in a regular garage, but run the engine once a week or so for a few minutes?

Unless getting fully up to temp and under load it would do more harm than good to run the engine.

It was how the suspension felt for the first couple of tanks that surprised me.

Dave!

--

I'm actually looking forward to my new place as the garage is attached to the house and its got an internal door - its currently a dining room and I'm converting it back to the garage, but I'm tempted to keep the radiator in there..

Definitely keep the radiator in there, it doesn't need to be warm but just to take the chill off. I miss not having a radiator in the garage.

Dave!

--

I leave my car parked up over winter in the garage with a cover on it to keep the dust off. The garage is a stand alone one but is pretty drafty around the door and roof so there doesn't seem to be a problem with damp.

Not sure about underfloor heating with a big heavy car on it.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

This is interesting as I will be putting our 1990 MX5 in storage for the next 6-12 months. The garage in question is dry and draughty so let's hope for the best!

Leave the handbrake off.

Car storage for a wide range of cars from Rolls Royce to family saloons.If you are interested, please email me. Price is negotiable, depending on how much space you want to rent.

--

used car dealer

Si_ said...

Not sure about underfloor heating with a big heavy car on it.

It should be fine as I'll lay the concrete base myself.

Plus it will keep me warm while I'm hugging the car.

Dave!

--

Just been to check on the 911 in my sisters garage and there is mold starting to form on the seats and seat belts :(

I suspect the carpets were not fully dry after being shampoo'd which may be the culprit.

I'll clean and attempt to dry it out next weekend.

Is this the norm and can I do anything to prevent it ?

Updated January 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Sounds like the moisture from shampooing the carpet to me.

Take it out for a drive and put the heaters on full blast.

You can buy tubs that have silica gel crystals in them to absorb moisture.

Is it left with the windows open a little to help circulate the air?

John said...

Yep , the inter web has suggested what Marv mentioned , apparently Halfords sell a moisture mate to leave in cars, campers, caravans etc that are in storage.

I'll pay some poor bugger to clean it next week and try one of those :) *

* the emoticons don't seem to work from an ipad .

carlos said...

John said...

Yep , the inter web has suggested what Marv mentioned , apparently Halfords sell a moisture mate to leave in cars, campers, caravans etc that are in storage.

I'll pay some poor bugger to clean it next week and try one of those :) *

* the emoticons don't seem to work from an ipad .

Loads of places sell the tubs of moisture absorbing crystals, they're nothing special just silica gel, like you get in the little sachets when you buy a new pair of shoes :lol:

If you can find them cheaper than Halfords sell them, buy them elsewhere.

We buy laptops quite regularly at work and they come with a nice big packet of the silica gel in the box. I just use them in my shonky old Porsche.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular