Forums > General > Review: BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Auto (F30)

REVIEW: BMW 320D EFFICIENTDYNAMICS AUTO (F30)
Previous | 12 | Next

So, I've got one on extended demo for the weekend to decide whether to order one or not.

Positives

+ Goes well. Not fast but fast enough (0 - 60 is 8 secs, apparently)
+ 8 speed auto is very smooth
+ Managed 59mpg without trying on first drive to work
+ Ride is excellent

Negatives

- Very diesely noise at idle, even louder than the Seat Leon
- Wind noise from around a-pillars at motorway speeds
- More body roll than expected
- Steering not as feelsome as expected and it feels artificially heavy
- Steering wheel rim is too thin and it doesn't feel like it's leather even though it is
- Stupid soft touch indicator stalks. What's wrong with normal ones?
- The standard, basic stereo is terrible. Shocking for a £30k car.

Overall, I like it. If I didn't have to pay for optional extras in full up front, I'd add a few things but as it is, if I do order one (which at this stage looks very likely) I'll order metallic paint and nowt else.

The thing that gets me is that it managed 59mpg, which is 12mpg better than I get from the Seat Leon 1.6TDi Ecomotive in the same conditions despite being a lot more powerful and heavier.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

8 speed? :shock:

£30k? :shock:

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

+1 at the £30k!!!

Buy a £30k 135i M Sport instead please :)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

mattcambs said...

+1 at the £30k!!!

I'm not buying it, it's a company car and there's only diesels and hybrids on the list.

And it's £28k, apparently.

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

But is it a torque convertor auto, a semi-automated dual-clutch manuel, a semi-duel pragmatic DDK, or a robotised duel-crotch autocratic DDK PDK PDQ?

Updated September 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

NotoriousREV said...

- Stupid soft touch indicator stalks. What's wrong with normal ones?

FFS - you'll be wanting a starter handle next etc etc :evil:
:P

mik said...

NotoriousREV said...

But is it a torque convertor auto, a semi-automated dual-clutch manuel, a semi-duel pragmatic DDK, or a robotised duel-crotch autocratic DDK PDK PDQ?

It's a double automated triple clutch robotised torque converter planetary epicyclic CVT. With a manual mode.

--

Jobbo said...

would you get an auto or the manual (cheaper, unless CO2 means BIK is lower on the auto)?

IIRC my 320d in 2005 was 27k with a few options.

Try the non-ED one - +20bhp and lower list price than the ED so not much in it (if it works the same as on the X1 I looked at). That was looking at SE spec manuels

--

Is that a real 59mpg or just the computer? No idea if BMW tend to be accurate but most on board tend to be a tad optimistic.

Why not skimp on paint and go for white, which appears to be the new black, and get a decent stereo? You sit in teh car and listen to the radio, it is folks around you that have to put up with the colour.

Updated September 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM

NotoriousREV said...

mattcambs said...

+1 at the £30k!!!

I'm not buying it, it's a company car and there's only diesels and hybrids on the list.

I assumed as much and was not being serious. I think a 3 series is the no-brainer choice here and I agree about speccing up the hifi instead of the paint.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Daddydadbo said...

Is that a real 59mpg or just the computer? No idea if BMW tend to be accurate but most on board tend to be a tad optimistic.

Why not skimp on paint and go for white, which appears to be the new black, and get a decent stereo? You sit in teh car and listen to the radio, it is folks around you that have to put up with the colour.

Well said that man.

so your review concurs with that of EVO, i.e the 3 series these days is a highly competent and efficient machine, but not quite the driver's car it was,say 15 years ago...

I'd choose one of these over any competitor, tbh, the economy of these cars is remarkable for a 140 MPH car, but I dont really like the way it looks and I think BMWs (at least the ordinary ones) are not the "ultimate drivers cars" that they were, which is a pity.

It's one of those cars you'd have on a lease but probably not buy yourself. Looked at a 320d M-Sport Touring and the tax figure was stupidly low for the class of car, comprehensively beating the IS220d or C220d Touring I wanted.
Not sure what the reliability will be like but the old model E91 that I was looking at doesn't seem to fare well with, turbo, DPF and DMF failure common. The Lexus IS220d and C220d are considerably more reliable but only marginally more expensive to run.

Carl.

NotoriousREV said...

Get an Ampera :D

To answer some of the questions:

Yes, I want the auto: loads of time sat in traffic on my hellish commute and the engine/box combo works really well. Kickdown at 40mph feels properly rapid.

Looked at the non-ED versions and they're at least £100/month more (higher BIK on car and fuel taxes plus my monthly contribution). I'm weighing up going for the 320d M-Sport Touring but not sure it's worth the extra.

--

Jobbo said...

exiges said...

NotoriousREV said...

Get an Ampera :D

It's on the list but stupidly expensive on my monthly contribution (something like £500). Plus as I'm not actually paying for fuel, I don't care about economy, just range (can't be arsed filling up too often)

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

It's on the list but stupidly expensive on my monthly contribution (something like £500). Plus as I'm not actually paying for fuel, I don't care about economy, just range (can't be arsed filling up too often)

£500 ?? That's crazy, they can be leased for £400. But if you're not paying for fuel there's no point even with 5% BIK

Yeah, I was disappointed with the price. I like them for geek and rarity value.

--

Jobbo said...

This is an ex Olympic car. They are selling these to the volunteers! With 200-3000 miles on the clock upto £9000 worth of accessories through in for good measure and 0% APR what a bargain!

exiges said...

NotoriousREV said...

£500 ?? That's crazy, they can be leased for £400. But if you're not paying for fuel there's no point even with 5% BIK

How would this work? I can claim 45p per mile for a hybrid, but must provide petrol receipts.
Anyone done this?

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular