Forums > Geeks corner > So, FTTC then?

SO, FTTC THEN?
Previous | 1234 | Next

So, the nice BT Openzone chap came round and bopped the BTOZ fiber modem on the wall.

Just before that, I took a Speedtest.net rating:

Draytek 2830 on ADSL.

Was expecting about 60mb based on that, as FTTC tends to error correct better than ADSL thanks to it's high frequencies and Acme Badger Magix.

BTOZ man casually gets through his coffee, screws a few things together, chit chat about business experience of fiber, etc (something he doesn't really see as he just installs it) and reports that his Magical Box Of Tricks is reporting a full 80mbps - nice.

I had a fiddle with me Draytek, and couldn't get anywhere - told him not to fuss, I'll sort it - his part is done. He merrily goes on his way for what he reckons was probably his easiest install of the week thanks to not having to do owt once the BTOZ modem was sync'd.

Some tweeking later, and realising that I don't need VLAN insertion (d'oh) and speedtest is reporting this:

Draytek 2830 on PPPoE WAN.

30mb, respectable!

I was pretty sure it was misreporting it though, as 80mb sync and 30mb transfer is a bit short. So I had further twiddle, and played with Torrents a bit.

Got a much better result:

Draytek 2830 on PPPoE WAN, Azureus Vuze Ubuntu torrent download.

That's a whopping 8MB/sec, or 64Mb/sec in old money - much more like it!

So, fiber? Yeah, you might want that....

I've been so happy with my ~20Mb Be service that I've paid little to no attention to all of these BT Infinity adverts. I assume that's what we're talking about here, yep?

I've just googled FTTC (I wasn't sure what the C was) and as I understand it there's fibre to the box at the end of my road, and then copper to my house, but that's still likely to be good enough for 80Mb or so.

What about traffic shaping, download limits, etc? Are BT going to play nicely, or is my net going to be crippled to 10Mb if I dare to download more than 10GB in a day?

Also, on the subject of torrenting et al, would you worry more about BT handing your details over to teh authoritehs, or do you think all ISPs are equal in that respect?

_ said...

I've been so happy with my ~20Mb Be service that I've paid little to no attention to all of these BT Infinity adverts. I assume that's what we're talking about here, yep?

I've just googled FTTC (I wasn't sure what the C was) and as I understand it there's fibre to the box at the end of my road, and then copper to my house, but that's still likely to be good enough for 80Mb or so.

What about traffic shaping, download limits, etc? Are BT going to play nicely, or is my net going to be crippled to 10Mb if I dare to download more than 10GB in a day?

Also, on the subject of torrenting et al, would you worry more about BT handing your details over to teh authoritehs, or do you think all ISPs are equal in that respect?

Depends on the ISP - they use the equipment in the exchange and the local loop, but run through their own backbones. So any traffic shaping etc is ISP based, not FTTC based.

I have usage limits on my FTTC, but they're higher than my ADSL was, and no traffic shaping etc that I'm aware of.

Latency seems better, which means pages are loading quicker overall - even the forum seems snappier :shock:

So if I want to use FTTC I don't have to use BT infinity - other ISPs will be using the same fibres? Is anyone else doing this yet?

_ said...

So if I want to use FTTC I don't have to use BT infinity - other ISPs will be using the same fibres? Is anyone else doing this yet?

Most ISPs. I'm with IDNet. Pretty sure pretty much any area that has been LLU unbundled would be able to do it, providing the ISP has cards in the exchange.

Anyway, best bet is to use the Infinity line checker (if your ISPs one isn't immediately available or findable) and if it says you can get BT Infinity, then contact your ISP and ask them what they can offer you for not jumping ship...

My area was (somehow) one of the first to become FTTC'ed, I had quite the upgrade from 0.5-1.2Mb/s to 37Mb/s. BT advertise 4 times faster, i got 40 times faster!

I've just upgraded (for free) from infinity1 to Infinity2, which is from 40Mb/s to 80Mb/s. I get 65Mb/s usually, which is more than fast enough for me.

I rate it, a lot.

I can get it on Sept 30th apparently.

STEP AWAY FROM THE NETWORKZ

WTF would you need a VLAN insertion ?

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

I this any good???

I don't know anything but I've had this for about 3 years now.

--

Nuts on the road

andybond said...

STEP AWAY FROM THE NETWORKZ

WTF would you need a VLAN insertion ?

You do on infinity with a draytek vdsl router...

_ said...

No ISP would want the repuation of reporting their customers to the BPI or equivalent, so I wouldn't worry unless you're leaving your PC on 24/7 seeding torrents - in which case, your ISP will probably want rid of you anyway for hammering their network.

A mate of mine had the same, as he left torrents running night and day. He was sent a C&D letter, they even included a list of all the stuff he'd been downloading recently. They wanted him to sign a letter stating he acknowledged that he'd downloaded the above items - didn't sign it and terminated his service. Never heard anything else regarding it.

--

ClubLupo

You said that it is very correct great comments

Was at a friend's house in MK last weekend and ADSL was struggling to get 384kb/s. Thought I'd download 10.7 OSX there but it was varying between one and two days to grab. I checked for the basics (filters etc) but looked ok so told them they needed to get on to Sky asap. It was like dial up days only more intermittent :shock:

MattyB_ said...

_ said...

No ISP would want the repuation of reporting their customers to the BPI or equivalent, so I wouldn't worry unless you're leaving your PC on 24/7 seeding torrents - in which case, your ISP will probably want rid of you anyway for hammering their network.

A mate of mine had the same, as he left torrents running night and day. He was sent a C&D letter, they even included a list of all the stuff he'd been downloading recently. They wanted him to sign a letter stating he acknowledged that he'd downloaded the above items - didn't sign it and terminated his service. Never heard anything else regarding it.

Food for thought

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

MattyB_ said...

_ said...

I thought the names are usually given over because of a court order.

Also, stop stealing.

If you do feel the need to steal stuff, then for safety sake i would not seed it. Generally people who are fined, sued etc are because they are 'distributing' the stolen material. If you just download (for example) the movie, what's the loss to the company, the wholesale price of a DVD? If you seed the movie (even unwittingly) to thousands, then by my maths you owe the wholesale price * thousands?

Ah, one of many scare stories. You're monitored in every walk of life.

And the whole piracy thing grinds my gears. Idiots like Ubisoft with their draconian always-on DRM (which they've finally realised is crippling their genuine customers and dropped) and their statements that "95% of PC gamers are pirates" goes to show what a state the market is in.

Companies like CDProjekt, Paradox and Notch are only a handful of people who actually "get it" - you're never going to beat piracy, and harsh DRM only annoys your genuine customers. Far better to 'reward' your buying customers - regular upgrades, bolt-ons and perks.

Carrot, not the stick.

--

ClubLupo

The stick pleases shareholders more though.

Fibre update - I likey.

BT's website reckons I'd get 77meg here on Infinity II. I don't believe that for a second but whatever it does it should be a hell of a lot faster than the 2.5 I currently see. It's getting very tempting.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this | This one's just a posh Beetle

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular