Forums > General > Hallway content

HALLWAY CONTENT
Previous | 1234 | Next

Just ordered this. <does happy dance> 8)

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Oooooh yes please.

:)

--

I like it round the 'ring.

Have a good look at it in the dark to check for torchlighting in the corners.

If it has it (which is very likely) then it could ruin the whole experience of watching it as when there are scenes where dark areas moves across the screen they will change darkness levels as they move nearer the corners.

I tried many and have yet to see a single edge-lit LCD that doesn't suffer from it. So I have given up on the whole concept of edge-lit LED backlighing as being fundamentally flawed. Thicker non-LED LCD sets are far better than thin LED ones IMO.

There are very few full-array LED backlit sets around.
Sony stopped making the HK923 and have yet to replace it.
All the manufacturers are planning to concentrate on OLED for people who are bothered about screen uniformity.

Updated August 16, 2012 at 9:52 AM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Mark BT52 said...

Plasma > Thicker non-LED LCD sets > thin LED ones IMO.

EFA

;)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

mattcambs said...

Mark BT52 said...

EFA

;)

Depends if you are the sort of person who
a) ever watches TV with a decent amount of ambient light or
b) can see the flickering inherent with all plasma displays

If not(a or b)
then
go for a plasma;
else
LCD;
end if;

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

a) is a bit of a funny one. In our apartment in AMS, the plasma was definitely the wrong choice for watching during the day as there was far to much reflection. In our house now we're home, it's loads better due to positioning in the room and where the ambient light is coming from.

--

Out of step with the forum.

Direct reflection is nothing to do with it. You get just as much reflection from LCD these days with the glossy screens.

I'm talking about the very poor black level from plasmas when there is enough light to see the screen due to the actual screen itself being so much lighter than an LCD.

Basically the darkest a plasma can be in a room with ambient light is the same as when it is turned off, which is nothing like as black as an LCD screen. More like the medium grey of a CRT.

This doesn't matter in a dark room because you can't see the actual screen, only the light being emitted from the pixels.

--

Tim said...

Just ordered this. <does happy dance> 8)

I have the 46" version and absolutely love it :). It does suffer a bit from the edge light bleed as Mark says, but not so much to ruin the viewing IMO. I found that once I hooked Sky up to it, you tend to not use a lot of the functions as you're using the Sky remote most of the time (whereas I did before hand, as you were just using the Samsung one). The voice control is a bit embarrassing (I've turned it off), but the gesture control can be handy for when the remote is the other side of the room and you want to adjust the volume without bothering to get up ;)).

I've got some settings on my iPad to set the picture quality to (that I down-loaded from a Samsung fanboi site :lol: ), that transform the picture to an amazingly realistic quality (rather than the glaring show-room settings the TV comes with as standard). IMO, it is so good, that when the screen is wall mounted, it looks like you looking through a window 8). I'll add them to the thread when I get home :). The problem is that they can make things look TOO realistic, so sets seem obviously "sets", rather than the thing they are trying to be, but sticking on a Blue-ray and OMG, it's spectacular.

One thing that you might need to know, the TVs are produced in one of the Eastern block countries (I think Slovakia or something like that) and when they arrive, the language option can be sometimes set to this. If that is the case, give me a shout and I can talk you through how to switch it to English :).

I personally think you need to buy one of the slim wall mounts to take full advantage of the depth of the TV, the Vogels 355 one that I have will support the weight of the 55" with no bother :). Free standing it is literally a waste of space IMO :).
Remote control wall mount

I nearly went for the 55, but on anything that isn't HD or Blue-ray, the picture quality is obviously worse due to the upscaling involved, and I wasn't sure if I was going to bother with the Sky to start off with (as it has a built in Freesat receiver, which just needs a dish connecting). So will find that watching "normal" TV, the picture will be worse than the TV you are coming from. However, I imagine that as time marches on, all TV will soon be HD anyway, so not really an issue.

Forgot to say, the 3D is fricking awesome - especially watching a sport (like Wimbledon), which just gives a whole new sense of actually being there :)

Enjoy!

Updated August 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Mark BT52 said...

mattcambs said...

Mark BT52 said...

EFA

;)

Depends if you are the sort of person who
a) ever watches TV with a decent amount of ambient light or
b) can see the flickering inherent with all plasma displays

If not(a or b)
then
go for a plasma;
else
LCD;
end if;

I just prefer the more natural image quality from a plasma and in any lighting conditions, I've always thought they have a far superior contrast ratio. Not sure about this flickering :? movement is definitely smoother on a plasma.

Still, the new LCDs are bloody good. Nice purchase :)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

55"?!

Jeez.

We have a reasonable sized lounge with a 36" and it's plenty big enough - can't imagine what a 55" must be like (apart from "big!" obviously)...

Mark BT52 said...

Direct reflection is nothing to do with it. You get just as much reflection from LCD these days with the glossy screens.

I'm talking about the very poor black level from plasmas when there is enough light to see the screen due to the actual screen itself being so much lighter than an LCD.

Basically the darkest a plasma can be in a room with ambient light is the same as when it is turned off, which is nothing like as black as an LCD screen. More like the medium grey of a CRT.

This doesn't matter in a dark room because you can't see the actual screen, only the light being emitted from the pixels.

Mine is as black as a mole.

--

Out of step with the forum.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Cheers Lolster! 8)

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Mike Rainbird said...

Basically turn everything off! :lol:

Gotta say dropping £2500 on a TV is madness but I guess I'm a little jealous :lol:

Tim said...

Cheers Lolster! 8)

You might be interested in this too: Click

speedcamera said...

Basically turn everything off! :lol:

The showroom settings are designed to bedazzle the eyes and make the TV stand out when compared to other TVs. In normal viewing conditions (without the bright lights of the showroom), these factory settings are retina burning :lol:.

--

Just Jon Innit said...

Gotta say dropping £2500 on a TV is madness but I guess I'm a little jealous :lol:

sounded like a bargain to me, cost me £350 just to get mine ISF calibrated

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Personally I don't like the settings that Mike posted.
They always turn off all frame interpolation as well in the settings posted on AV forums.

I would say understand what each setting is actually doing, get some calibration images, and then tweak for personal preference rather than just copy what everyone else posts on the various forums.

I don't really like Movie as a start point as it disables some of the other options. Neither am I too keen on Warm1 or Warm2 as a colour tweaking start point.

But before you throw the box out or mount on a wall bracket I strongly recommend that you watch it in a darkish room for a couple of evenings to see if you find the screen uniformity too annoying.

Updated August 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM

--

Mike Rainbird said...

It does suffer a bit from the edge light bleed as Mark says, but not so much to ruin the viewing IMO.

Mark is quite special like that.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular