Forums > General > Ampera 1000 mile report

AMPERA 1000 MILE REPORT
Previous | 1234 | Next

Quick update on how it's going.

The trip for the last 900 miles shows this:

I've used 2.2 gallons of fuel in that time. PugRallye I'm sure will agree that works out at 409mpg :lol:

That does include 22 charges, which would cost whoever is paying £20 (hasn't cost me that though). I think a fossil fuel car would have to do about 180mpg to cost the same per mile how I've used it. (purchase price excluded)

I managed to get a sodding puncture on the 3rd day, repaired FOC by TyresNorthants (top blokes). I replacement would have been in the region of £160, not cheap for a 17" tyre IMO.

Everyone who has been in it has commented on the smooth ride, less jiggly than the Prius. Some have even been pleasantly surprised at it's acceleration (given it's an eco car).

The front of it is very very low, I guess for aero reasons, and it scrapes at the slightest gradient change.. but it's just a thin strip of flexible plastic so it's not doing any major damage.

The brakes don't seem as good, or at least they require more force on the pedal to get the job done, like the Prius they seem to lock up earlier than I would like too.

Things I miss from the Prius:

Bluetooth Audio
Rear washwipe
Satnav
Push buttons

Things I like about the Ampera

DAB radio
Not having to stop at petrol stations (pet hate)
Leather interior
Nicer cabin in general
Heated seats

I agree the initial purchase price is steep, but given it comes with a 8yr 100,000 mile warranty, I think it'd be a cracking used buy in a year.

Updated August 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Had to check what I was drinking when I read the mpg average! Look forward to reading further reports, our Prius may be replaced in the next year with a used one of these.

Updated August 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM

No NAV? Seriously?

Wow is it 201 again already.

--

Tim

Toyota. Flat Cap. Grey Slacks. Slipons. Slower than everyone.

Tim said...

Wow is it 201 again already.

HorseNav?

Tim said...

No NAV? Seriously?

You can have it with Nav, that's the Electron model. But on lease it's another £50 a month, and frankly a TomTom will do for the 1 trip every couple of months where I don't know where I'm going.

There are no other differences between the Electron / Positiv models other than Nav, and frankly it's not worth it lease wise, purchasing it'd be a different matter.

Updated August 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM

So over 900 miles it needs plugging in 22 times? Sounds great if you have facilities at both ends 8)

Whats the range on one charge?

SimonB said...

I've managed 53 miles. Driving at higher speeds and with the aircon going it, it's around 40 miles.

Updated August 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM

How big is the petrol tank? If it's 9 gallons or so, and you filled it when you bought it, you've been lugging around at least 6.8 gallons (30 litres, at least 25kg) for no real purpose.

I wonder whether any Amperas will be sold on with the residue of the original tank of fuel still in? 8)

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Jobbo said...

How big is the petrol tank? If it's 9 gallons or so, and you filled it when you bought it, you've been lugging around at least 6.8 gallons (30 litres, at least 25kg) for no real purpose.

35 litres, not huge. The car came with some fuel, so I've not actually put any fuel in it myself. I had thought about the extra weight of all that fuel. The range is showing 70miles left in the tank, so about 1.7 gallons.

exiges said...

SimonB said...

I've managed 53 miles. Driving at higher speeds and with the aircon going it, it's around 40 miles.

Sounds a bit short to me. 100 miles or so on my motorbike leaves me panicking as I have no idea of its range. But you still have petrol backup so its not a major issue.

Good to know anyway thanks

SimonB said...

But you still have petrol backup so its not a major issue.

It's not an issue at all. On a full petrol tank it'll do 300+ miles. So no range anxiety there.

Since 95% of all trips are under 20 miles you've got "there and back" covered by battery.

exiges said...

Things I like about the Ampera
Heated seats

do you drive it naked? i can't think of a single time in the past two months where my leather seats have felt even slightly chilly :lol:

Updated August 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

exiges said...

SimonB said...

But you still have petrol backup so its not a major issue.

It's not an issue at all. On a full petrol tank it'll do 300+ miles. So no range anxiety there.

Since 95% of all trips are under 20 miles you've got "there and back" covered by battery.

...so long as you don't want to go anywhere until it's charged and spoil your mpg average as a result. :)

--

Tim

Toyota. Flat Cap. Grey Slacks. Slipons. Slower than everyone.

53 miles on a charge is impressive for a "proper" car (i.e. not a tiddly Smart-alike).

I did smile at your comment about the MPG too... :)

Tim said...

...so long as you don't want to go anywhere until it's charged and spoil your mpg average as a result. :)

Rumbled :oops:

I thought it was pretty cool - the front end looked mean to me.

It was silent inside as well.

--

Bunta's Tofu

Bunta said...

It was silent inside as well.

Apart from you gibbering on, bouncing up and down, pressing all the buttons and giggling like a loon, I guess?

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

David on his way to work yesterday

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

I like the concept a lot. It will be interesting, however, when winter is upon us - heater+fan, rear demister, lights in constant use - to see how much the range reduces.

Just Jon Innit said...

I like the concept a lot. It will be interesting, however, when winter is upon us - heater+fan, rear demister, lights in constant use - to see how much the range reduces.

Normally air-con is a bigger drain than heating because the heat is a natural by-product of the engine running.

But with electric cars I guess heat has to drain the battery? What about when the engine is/has been running? Do they have thermostats to control whether a heating element is required?

Updated August 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 320d MSport

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular