Forums > General > Dog advice

DOG ADVICE
Previous | 12345678 | Next

My eldest wants a dog but we're not sure on which breed. He originally wanted a beagle but I'm not convinced that they're an ideal family dog. I've had an Old English Sheepdog and a black lab in the past (I hated the lab, that dog was a cunt) and the kids are happy around my mum's cocker spaniel and Dalmation.

So, we want a medium sized dog, good with kids, not too mental but with a nice personality. I know individual dogs differ and how you train them makes a huge difference but just some pointers on breeds to look at.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

Cat

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Get a mongrel, not one of those inbred manufactured things.

Updated July 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM

--

Entirely pointless

Not sure a Dalmatian is the best idea, my cousin has one - its mental and is always going wrong.

--

Clio 182/Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400

Spaniels are good family dogs. They're fairly smart so they take to training quickly and they are very playful. They need quite a lot of exercise and they get bored easily though so not ideal if they get left alone for long periods of time.

ETA I'm talking about cocker or springer spaniels here. The smaller yappy ones have all the usual problems of small yappy dogs.

Updated July 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

--

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

Mark BT52 said...

Cat

Already got one of them.

--

Buy a bitch

SimonB said...

Buy a bitch

Already got one of th...Ow!

--

I've got a black and tan Jack Russell Terrier and can highly recommend them.

Loves kids, hates cats.

Weve a labradoodle dog (not bitch) and Ive not had to have his knackers cut off hes so good natured.

Bit of a handful tho and certainly not small but you can get smaller gayer ones which may be ideal for you :o

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Good with kids, very tough physically aswell as medically, they don't smell like most dogs, no problem with lots of hair shedding, they can take loads of exercise or be happy being a slob and i've yet to meet one which wasn't full of character.

Mr Bond has one I believe, fantastic family dogs.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Mark BT52 said...

Cat

I love our cats, but they aren't dogs, dogs are more work but also far more rewarding.

Dave!

--

GraniteV8 said...

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Good with kids, very tough physically aswell as medically, they don't smell like most dogs, no problem with lots of hair shedding, they can take loads of exercise or be happy being a slob and i've yet to meet one which wasn't full of character.

Mr Bond has one I believe, fantastic family dogs.

Dave!

This, my mum had one. Lived till 16 and was one of the most caring and harmless dogs we've had. Need good training otherwise they can be boisterous. Dogs we had that were the most hard work were our 2 Jack Russells, always a pain in the arse.

Updated July 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Get a Great Pyrenees,friendly,doesn't bite,never goes mental,intelligent enough.

Or get an Akita if you want to be involved in fights with Pit Bulls.

Labs vary hugely. Beagles are a bit hectic IME. Cocker spaniels are usually alright, quite like them.

I'm a big fan of whippets/lurchers/greyhounds but not many people like the looks. Lovely easy going nature though, more often than not anyway.

My Vizsla is the best dog in the world ever but most of the others I've seen have been a bit dodgy. I wouldn't have another Lab or Weimaraner. I'd buy another whippet tomorrow if I didn't already have three dogs..

If you can find a fairly relaxed border collie (easier said than done) they make the best family dogs in the world ever.

We used to have a border collie when I was a kid. It kept attacking me so we gave it to my Dad's mate.

--

Bichon Frise?

You could be the new DSal, no, wait, that's too harsh. Sorry.

Jay said...

Get a Great Pyrenees,friendly,doesn't bite,never goes mental,intelligent enough.

Or get an Akita if you want to be involved in fights with Pit Bulls.

Akitas, best dog in the world and we can't wait till she is up the duff and we can get one 8)

Mr Stick has a good point about a Greyhound/ whippet. Absolutely shed loads of these which need a good home and they are such lovely dogs, 2 15 minute slots of exercise a day and they are as happy as larry. Only the ex racers have foot pad issues but unless you are always walking them on hard surfaces I don't think these issues crop up from memory?

I would never get a Staffie as a rescue, you just don't know what they have been subjected to in the past and they then need a stronger/ more experienced handler imo.

Dave!

--

NotoriousREV said...

We used to have a border collie when I was a kid. It kept attacking me so we gave it to my Dad's mate.

We had them when I was a kid too. Two of them were wonderful, gentle companion dogs. The other one bit anyone that came round the house. He was my favourite. RIP Pooh Bear.

Dave! is correct. JRTs are cool as well.

Previous | 12345678 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular