Forums > Gaming forum > Spec Ops - The Line

SPEC OPS - THE LINE
Previous | 1 | Next

A demo for this is up on Xbox live now and it seems quite interesting. It's an Unreal 3 engined shooter so lots of hiding behind walls shooting at stuff in pretty environments. I've not played a military shooter since Modern Warfare 2 but this has made my definite maybe list :lol:.

Trailer

--

just the tip

Not seen this - will take a gander.

--

Bunta's Tofu

Wow, looks like this didn't make much impact back when it was released.
Bought it for £17 from Play as I read that the story is a good mindfuck and really dark.

Up to about Chapter 10 or 11 now and it is certainly darker than the average COD shoot 'em up.

Really hate the 3rd person cover and duck system though. Even hours in, I find my guy standing when he should be crouching and not getting behind cover when he should.

I've said it many times before, but FPS > 3PS.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

It was £4 in a steam sale last week (are you playing the Xbox version David?) and I'm liking it.

The gameplay is derivative, but I do like how you can play as a barsteward, killing innocents etc.

The narrative did make me think - but then to be honest I still went ahead and killed everything I could see.

It has at least two endings - one of them is super dark and nasty.

I enjoyed it but doubt I will play it again.

--

Bunta's Tofu

Not really had to make many choices. Always try to save the civilians rather than soldiers, but most of the time, everybody dies anyway! :lol:

That scene with the white phosphorous mortars was nasty. I don't think that was avoidable, was it?

That full auto AA-12 shotgun is deadly!

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Finished it. Not sure I entirely understood the ending, but it was certainly more thought-provoking than most shoot 'em ups.

Just read this on Wikipedia: (minor spoiler)

" Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw of Zero Punctuation wrote a similarly enthusiastic review of the game, praising the game's themes, presentation and subversion of the player's expectations, but criticized the gameplay as unremarkable.[26] Croshaw later published an article in his Extra Punctuation column examining what made the game's white phosphorus incident so effective, "Modern Warfare got into the habit of making a shocking moment that illustrated the ruthlessness of the enemy and the resources at their disposal. It's supposed to make you hate and fear them...The Spec Ops shocking moment, contrarily, is designed to make you hate yourself, and fear the things that you are capable of."[27] In January 2013 he named it his game of the year for 2012, calling it "the most exciting thing to happen in video game narrative for fucking years." "

Updated January 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

I still need to play this. Yahtzee had it in his top 5 for the year so it must be good. Especially considering his general hatred of military shooters.

--

just the tip

Yahtzee must have changed, this game is awful

I was quite enjoying it but I've not finished it yet. The difficulty ramps up quite a bit towards the end of the game and I was starting to struggle. I might drop the difficulty and finish it so I can see the ending.

--

just the tip

To be honest, I put 1.5hrs into this the other night.

Basically, there are better games. You would have to be really bored to commit to this.

im hoping that as soon as the next gen of consoles goes on sale. all of the ps3 era games drop in price. this along with 30 others are games i want to get but cant afford atm/not worth a tenner.

hopefully its good. i bought jc2 after yahtzee recommended it and though it was proper bo

You can buy my copy for £6 inc postage

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular