Forums > General > The thrill of driving with your legs?

THE THRILL OF DRIVING WITH YOUR LEGS?
Previous | 12 | Next

Dear all, I wrote this post earlier on using our legs as the tool to the thrill of driving. I guess it is the cheapest form of driving there is. Enjoy!

"Its being busy days for me as a newly wed couple going through their first Chinese New Year together. Despite being on holidays for the past four days, my running schedule have fallen behind.

Today, after ending my new year visits early. I sent wifey home to rest while I prepared to sneak off for a run. I was preparing for a coastal run as usual till her cousin CT called and asked if we wanted dinner.

Wifey turned down the offer as she wasn't keen to travel out. I offered to make the trip down by foot. I was at Geylang East Central. Her aunt's place was at Chuan Place. Usually it would take a 20 minutes drive down to the place. Wifey told CT that I am running down. CT replied in disbelief, not expecting that I will actually do that.

I changed into my running gear. Did my warm up and check Google Maps for the distance to destination. 6.1km. Should be an easy run.

I started my GPS tracker,Endomondo and the heart rate monitor. One foot in front of the other, I commenced my run.

Running along the roads, it was a different world from the coastal runs that I usually do. The exhaust fumes from the passing cars definitely doesn't make it pleasant. Distances seem to be shorter. I covered quite a long distance before the GPS clicked 1km. I thought to myself, at this rate I am going. I may reached there before the distance clicked 6km.

Traffic lights, upslopes, downslopes, passing runners, petrol stations, supermarkets. All this I passed. And I arrive at the destination in 50 minutes. Distance covered? 6.48km.
While I was expecting a quiet house, I arrive to a house full of visitors. My sister in law was the first to see me. She squealed in disbelief.

"I thought you were only joking! Are you OK?" She asked.

"I am OK." I chuckled. I thought to myself, it is only a short run for me. Usually, I cover even longer distances.

The rest of the relatives started questioning me in awe about the feat that I done. To me, it was just a short run. It came to my realisation that most non runners are really amazed by people travelling from point A to B by foot. Especially when the distance require usually a vehicle or public transport to cover.

There we go, if runners were to use our long distance stamina for transportation. It probably might just work.

Distance Covered: 6.48km
By car: approx 20 min
By bus: approx 40 min
By foot: 50 min

Go figure.:)"

http://therunningrobot.blogspot.com

Updated January 31, 2012 at 5:28 AM

--

Cirrus58

Pah - I dropped out of a 54k ultra on Saturday. I was at 1000m at the time - having covered 28k (in 4.5 hours) - and the next 16km section was up to 1300m - with the chance of deeper snow (already at 30cm) - with the wind covering the trail left by earlier runners - and the cloud hovering around 1100m!!!

I got to the finish via public transport - feeling very annoyed - and cold!! The others turned up much later - they'd all had to come down from the ridge early - with only a few opting to run the last few KM to the finish.

I'll rerun the route in late spring with a friend this time - as part of training for a more substantial Ultra run in July.

Happy running!

But you have to go back again.

Best case scenario, you lost an hour of your life.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 320d MSport

What was your mpg?!

Mark BT52 said...

Depends on your view of "lost". You see a lot more when you run - you experience the surroundings far more intimately. A bit like the difference between a coupe and a convertible.

neil_g said...

Mark BT52 said...

Depends on your view of "lost". You see a lot more when you run - you experience the surroundings far more intimately. A bit like the difference between a coupe and a convertible.

ie. you get wet when it rains.

I don't like convertibles.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 320d MSport

I like neil_g and his snowy ultra marathons but then I also like Ascender and his Marathon des Sables through the sahara desert.

One's cold, one's hot but which one's better.

There's only one way to find out

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

neil_g said...

Mark BT52 said...

But its just boring as f*ck tho isn't it? Perhaps its my attention deficit disorder but unless I have music I can't be arsed to run outside and even then, its hateful. Only running I do is on a treadmill watching telly.

Don't get me wrong - I admire those who are able to run outside for long distances but I suppose mentally I wouldn't be able to do it. When it comes to being outside, I'd rather just walk. You see more and aren't as focussed on keeping a specific pace.

I hear you mate - frekin hate running and more often than not, it's pure boredom that makes me stop running earlier than I should - not because I'm too tired.

However, it's quality exercise on your doorstep so hard to beat

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

F1 said...

What was your mpg?!

Let see 1 gallon of petrol has about 31000 calories.

I burned 545 calories in a 6.48km run.

Hence i burned 0.07l of petrol in that run. Hence my kilometres per litres is 92.6km/l.

Therefore it will be 217.8 mpg.

the runningrobot.blogspot.com

Updated January 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM

--

Cirrus58

cirrus58 said...

Are you Scotish?

--

How are you doing? Is you good becos' I want to know.

_CC_ said...

cirrus58 said...

Are you Scotish?

It is actually a measured value for fuel, CC. I've not read his post mind so you could be right :lol:

I actually find running to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience. You are outside with the world and the sounds and smells (not always pleasant) of nature - your heart is racing, lungs working hard and muscles straining, I really feel alive.

I agree it can be tedious at times, and I found in the past years that listening to audiobooks whist running is the best distraction. Music is too tempo sensitive and you have all the hassle of playlists and blah. So I download books (alternate between classics and Sci-fi) and listen to them. Means you actually look forward to getting outside and getting through a few more chapters of a good story. As an added bonus I am catching up on all the books I should have read and would never get around to in paper form (like The Count Of Monte Cristo - which is EPIC).

One nice thing about running in a town (applies to cycling too) is when you sense that horrible car-going-wrong smell, you KNOW it's not your car. When I'm driving and I smell these things I'm never sure if it's me or another vehicle in the vicinity. But on foot/bike, you know you're in the clear. Huzzah!

_CC_ said...

cirrus58 said...

Are you Scotish?

Nope I am Singaporean. We measure in km and litres over here. Dun forget, I paid £26,000 for a Nissan Micra over here in expensive Singapore. Faintz...

therunningrobot.blogspot.com

Updated January 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM

--

Cirrus58

StEvie_200SX said...

I actually find running to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience. You are outside with the world and the sounds and smells (not always pleasant) of nature - your heart is racing, lungs working hard and muscles straining, I really feel alive.

I agree it can be tedious at times, and I found in the past years that listening to audiobooks whist running is the best distraction. Music is too tempo sensitive and you have all the hassle of playlists and blah. So I download books (alternate between classics and Sci-fi) and listen to them. Means you actually look forward to getting outside and getting through a few more chapters of a good story. As an added bonus I am catching up on all the books I should have read and would never get around to in paper form (like The Count Of Monte Cristo - which is EPIC).

I agree with this, although it's nothing like a good drive in terms of excitement & rush. Funnily enough, I was thinking the other night whilst out whether an audio book would be a good idea, or whether I'd get so absorbed in the story, I'd find myself running at a slow dawdle :lol: Think you've answered my question though.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Give it a go and see. I also found podcasts were a good distraction. Hey - send me your details and we can say Hi on Saturday at the GRIM?

_CC_ said...

cirrus58 said...

Are you Scotish?

Tennent's is cheaper per litre Cos.
And petrol is a little bit too aromatic for my refined palate.

--

Mash

Dear all

I wrote a further post comparing between running and driving. Feel free to add your experiences to it :)

You can find it at Running and Driving, same but different

--

Cirrus58

StEvie_200SX said...

I agree with that too!

--

Cirrus58

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular