Forums > Thread archives > EVO Tyre Test

EVO TYRE TEST
Previous | 1 | Next

Good result for the Hankooks - might try a set of them on the 328.
Anyone running them at present?

--

Roadgoing Group A racecar

Dan Webster "Your car actually sounded quite good from up there"

I've just been nosing at prices - since they're actually more expensive than the Goodyear Assymetric 2 in my sizes, I'm going to stick to the better-known premium brand on the basis that they'll be more appealing to a buyer if I sell the BMW this year.

Good result though, very impressed. Shame that it comes with a price hike!

I run RS-2's I like them plenty of grip in the dry and hardly any in the wet :lol:

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

Hankooks are pretty well regarded now, aren't they? I think some of the big car companies have started using them as their OEM tyre supplier.

They don't make the tyres which evo tested in 255/40/17, which is the correct size for my rear wheels.

Fortunately, Continental already make them in that size and Goodyear as of April this year will, apparently, which will probably be perfect timing.

Updated January 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

Hankooks may be OE (I think I mentioned the MINI courtesy car I had was on them) but prejudices take a long time to die. Since there's no cost saving, they'd have to be significantly better than the competition rather than runner-up to make them my purchase choice.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's only over the past few years that I've stopped thinking of Hankooks to be ditch finders.

--

Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds.

Are most buyers really likely to take a measured look at the tyres, other than to note whether they're legal and mostly of the same make?

When I'm buying, if I see a set of premium tyres (Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Contintental) then it paints a picture of a previous owner who didn't skimp on running costs. Always a good thing, IMO.

Marv said...

Hankooks are pretty well regarded now, aren't they? I think some of the big car companies have started using them as their OEM tyre supplier.

They don't make the tyres which evo tested in 255/40/17, which is the correct size for my rear wheels.

Fortunately, Continental already make them in that size and Goodyear as of April this year will, apparently, which will probably be perfect timing.

Michelin's and Pirelli's are available in that size too

I got over my prejudices and bought a set of the Hankook S1 Evos for my MX5. Have to be careful when choosing; there are four different Hankooks available in 195/50R15, two of them S1 Evos (H and V rated). At £45/tyre from Camskill the V-rated were the ones I went for, on the basis that supercharging would potentially go outside the rated capacity of H ones (and at £1.10 per tyre pricier I wasn't exactly pushing the boat out).

Review thus far: I'm rather surprised and impressed. I honestly thought they'd just be OK but after a good thrash round some roads I know well in the dry last night, then a wet drive this morning, it feels almost like my suspension has already been replaced. They're grippier than the Avon ZV3s I had on the car, massively so in the wet but then the old ones were quite worn at the rear, but they really let you feel the movement of the car properly when you stick your foot down mid-bend. I arrived home thinking that choosing the wrong tyres can ruin a car.

BTW, My local tyre place charges £10/tyre for fitting, irrespective of size; is that competitive?

Jobbo said...

I got over my prejudices and bought a set of the Hankook S1 Evos for my MX5. Have to be careful when choosing; there are four different Hankooks available in 195/50R15, two of them S1 Evos (H and V rated). At £45/tyre from Camskill the V-rated were the ones I went for, on the basis that supercharging would potentially go outside the rated capacity of H ones (and at £1.10 per tyre pricier I wasn't exactly pushing the boat out).

Review thus far: I'm rather surprised and impressed. I honestly thought they'd just be OK but after a good thrash round some roads I know well in the dry last night, then a wet drive this morning, it feels almost like my suspension has already been replaced. They're grippier than the Avon ZV3s I had on the car, massively so in the wet but then the old ones were quite worn at the rear, but they really let you feel the movement of the car properly when you stick your foot down mid-bend. I arrived home thinking that choosing the wrong tyres can ruin a car.

BTW, My local tyre place charges £10/tyre for fitting, irrespective of size; is that competitive?

£10/tyre is pretty much the norm these days.

£45/tyre is good, even after fitting :D

--

I notice Continental Winter Contacts got the nod in the latest EVO winter tyre test. I'm running the earlier variant and they do seem to suit the 328i/my driving. Excellent in the wet ( which is handy ) - will have to reserve judgement on the snow aspect for a few weeks

--

WB Mike 8)

The Conti's are very highly rated. They keep winning the ADAC winter tyre tests too. A good choice, no doubt.

--

Marv said...

The Conti's are very highly rated. They keep winning the ADAC winter tyre tests too. A good choice, no doubt.

I've got to say they are some measure better than the Avon Ice Tourings - seem to hold up better in warmer temperatures and quite impressed in wet. They load up more with steering inputs, almost like extra caster has been added as well.

I think I'll get a set of the newer ones come late summer - good excuse to add to the wheel collection too :)

Got a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3 for the Cooper S - not as good as the Continentals Winter Contacts ( still got those if I fancy a swap back ) in my opinion but I'm sure they'll do the job. They don't seem as noisy as the Continentals on the upside.

One benefit is that the wheels don't show brake dust as quickly as the silver 5-spokes :)

Got a set of Imolas,nice and light, just after these so will source some nice winter rubber for them over the coming months to try next year. 

--

Mike1215 said...

Marv said...

I've got to say they are some measure better than the Avon Ice Tourings - seem to hold up better in warmer temperatures and quite impressed in wet.

May even get to try them in snow soon as well.......

--

Well got to give them a good run on a selection of roads and conditions from fresh virgin snow, compacted snow tracks through to wet slush.
By some measure the best winters I've used so far. The turn in feels way better on compacted snow than Avons/Dunlops, none of the slip/shimmy you can get - almost felt reckless catching a new Civic on normal tyres through a series of corners on an unploughed B-road this morning. Didn't push them hard in deference to traffic and road conditions but I shall try them out on a big expanse of empty car park later on over the weekend.
Off sledging now........:)

--

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular