Forums > Skoda on the Salt > Skoda at Speed Week 2011

SKODA AT SPEED WEEK 2011
Previous | 12345678 | Next

Yep - it's true. Over the past few months I've been having conversations with Skoda about their aim to run a car at Speed Week. It's a brilliantly ambitious plan - and a suitably wonderful birthday present for the VRS brand (10 years old this year).

Click here for the news story

If I'm honest, I didn't quite believe it when I first heard Skoda's plans. But then I saw a spec sheet, an engineering plan and a livery and it started to dawn on me that they were serious. Then one day a picture arrived in my inbox of a brand new Octavia VRS, then another shot taken hours later of the car in pieces ready for the transformation into a Speed Week weapon!

Inevitably, Skoda asked me 'who's gonna drive it?' and naturally I pushed our own Richard Meaden forward in the line. Not that Dickie is bothered - he's a phenomenal driver and a real scholar of motoring subculture. This event is right up his exhaust pipe...

So, Skoda is serious. They're building a 500+bhp Octavia VRS. evo is driving it and Speed Week is only three months away. It's going to be a hell of a ride.

This is the place to ask any questions about the event - both Dickie and I will respond as often as we can. Stay tuned!

Nick Trott
Editor
evo

Updated June 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Question 1 - why the hell don't you drive it!!!

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Obvious question would be are Skoda hoping to break any records?

Updated June 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Insert old fashioned Skoda joke here?

Sounds cool, will look forward to reading about it in the mag.

--

CarThrottle / TyreRoar blog / Gridlock Mag / Snip-snip

Answer to question 1 - I was given the option of a drive but a) I'm nowhere near Dickie's level and b) I'm a bit scared! 3 of my 4 limbs are made of metal after a big bike smash, so I tend to steer clear of this sort of lunacy...

Skoda's targets are of the refreshingly 'let's see' kind. All I can say is that the engine will have a huge amount of power, and they are going to wind the bugger right up...

The engine is still in construction, so we don't have a final bhp figure yet. But when we do we'll let you know and then someone cleverer than me can do the calculations...

n

Nick, your new task having got this blinder of a gig for evo is to convince Skoda to paint the Octavia in full UK panda car spec. And sirens.

--

At the risk of sounding, well, ill-informed, how difficult is it to point a car in a straight line and gun it ??

If May can do it in the Veyron then surely...

--

Dinny_G said...

At the risk of sounding, well, ill-informed, how difficult is it to point a car in a straight line and gun it ??

If May can do it in the Veyron then surely...

and Clarkson in a ZR1 (i think).

I was thinking more of May Maxing the Veyron in Germany but you're right, they all did go to Bonneville, didn't they...

--

and if that fat facially disabled berk with pubic head hair can do it...

Really worth having it's own forum though?

--

Cheers

Rich

Holley said...

and if that fat facially disabled berk with pubic head hair can do it...

More than once too. Clicky for video starting at 1.40

--

Nick Trott said...

Answer to question 1 - I was given the option of a drive but a) I'm nowhere near Dickie's level and b) I'm a bit scared! 3 of my 4 limbs are made of metal after a big bike smash, so I tend to steer clear of this sort of lunacy...

Skoda's targets are of the refreshingly 'let's see' kind. All I can say is that the engine will have a huge amount of power, and they are going to wind the bugger right up...

The engine is still in construction, so we don't have a final bhp figure yet. But when we do we'll let you know and then someone cleverer than me can do the calculations...

n

Do you know what fuel they will be running it on and what turbo they are using (it's pictured in the main link with Dickie beside it), so if you got the details of it, this would enable us to look up the compressor map for the turbo to see what it should end up at power wise? :)

It looks to me like a Precision Turbos 6262, but without knowing what compressor and turbine wheels are being used, it could be anything from a 600bhp or a 700bhp turbo....

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Still won't be as fast as a Nissan Bluebird/Toyota Carina.

and everyone will still want the more expensive and better looking audi or vw version of the same car.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

the day any of you run a 500+ bhp fwd (I'm guessing it'll keep fwd) car over a surface that feels like wet sand then you can make fun of it :p

--

just the tip

I'll be getting the engine builder and chief engineer to post comments on here soon, watch this space...

n

Surely it'll be 4WD?

I'm sure it'll be a massively impressive car - VW normally do these things properly!

Nick Trott said...

I'll be getting the engine builder and chief engineer to post comments on here soon, watch this space...

n

HURRY UP! ;)

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Marv said...

Surely it'll be 4WD?

I'm sure it'll be a massively impressive car - VW normally do these things properly!

would it need to be 4wd? theyre not doing high speed standing starts, surely the 4x4 drag at high speed would outweigh any traction benefits?

don't they still use push vehicles to allow absurdly long gearing and increadibly skinny tyres as most salt flat racers could barely pull away under their own power?

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Previous | 12345678 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular